Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
The CC dealer is trying to sell me on this $300 option. Is it worth it? Seems like, the way he is describing it, it should be standard!!! Is it standard in any other manufacturers' boats?
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
The answer, as always is it depends. If you're looking at a v-drive (which I assume you are), then yes this should be standard. On direct drives access is pretty good so it's not as essential. The Super Air is particularly hard to access, so get it for sure.

They're standard on MB's, but I don't know if anything else comes with them.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
Standard in the MCs. If I understand it right, not only will it not drip, but you don't really have to do any maintenace either. But I am not an expert on the issue...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-07-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
What is it? I'm wondering if I have one. :-)
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Here's the scoop on the dripless packing gland. Sure it's a nice option but, if that thing ever needs servicing or replacement. it's like $400. Granted CC has a 5 year bumper to bumper, you should be good for 5 years. But, with the "normal" packing gland you can replace the material inside a whole lotta times before you use up $400.
I suspect he's trying to sell you something out of his inventory which already has the option. But, it's up to you.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com/gatorgrip

Also for sale
http://home.surewest.net/cfoye/96SportNautique/96SportNautique.htm
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, but the issue with a traditional wax packing gland is that if you do have to replace it you're going to pay through the nose for the labor. If someone with a Super Air has a chance, take a picture of the prop shaft where it exits the hull. There is almost no room to get a decent sized wrench in there.

I promise you a traditional packing gland will require a lot more work than a dripless setup.

Like I said, on a v-drive I would spend the money no questions asked (especially if you do your own service, you don't want to deal with adjusting a traditional setup). On a direct drive I would put it further down on the list, but if you have the money, I would still get it.

Dave, Malibu didn't add it as an option until late last year, and it's still not on the 'books'.

Here is more info.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-07-2003, 4:09 PM Reply   
On a Super Air, it takes maybe 10 minutes to adjust the packing gland. Clearance is tight but plenty doable.
Old    tbarrett            02-07-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
Paul, The sealed shaft is standard on all Tiges. Both the direct drive and V drives. You can convert it yourself for less than 300. Terry