Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
With all the talk about how many people have hurt themselves trying stuff, lets hear some success stories. Ill start.....id been wanting to try a heel front 3 for EVER, went on vacation, watched a buddy land his first tanny, went out, hucked it, and LANDED IT CLEAN first try!! and now its gone again....
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-22-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
My neighbor and I made a bet at the beginning of the summer. I wanted to learn a switch tantrum and he wanted to learn a regular tantrum. The loser had to shave his legs. There were two stipulations to the bet: 1.) the winner had to land it with the other guy in the boat, not even video counted. 2.) there was a 48 hour grace period for the loser.

We were both kind of against a wall at the end of the summer. Then I called Kyle Schmidt and he gave me a great tip that helped us both, and finally I stuck it, but my neighbor wasn't in the boat. I didn't tell him I landed it and asked him if he wanted to ride that afternoon. When we got in the boat he instantly knew something was up. I think he wanted to jump out of the boat and swim ashore but it was too late. I rode first and amazingly I stuck the first one I tried.

So for the next 2 days my neighbor completely kicked the crap out of himself trying it and on about 10th attempt with 35 minutes remaining before he had to take the pink woman's razor to his legs he stuck it.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
thats AWESOME! sounds to me like a great way to motivate yourself....haha
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-22-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Lyle,

So what was the tip?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-22-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Thats what this sport is all about bro good times and great stories...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Usually hafta get a few drinks in my wife first...
Old     (boarder_255)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-22-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
Learned a Big worm and front mobe in the same week. 2 weeks ago.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Chris, the HS360 was the first trick I learned. I start board'n somewhere around 1994 on a Connelly Bladerunner. One of those single-ended boards with the pointy tips. I trick skied for many years so it seemed natural to throw a 360. Even to this day it isn't an easy trick.

Probably the easiest trick I learned was the scarecrow off a ramp. And as mentioned in the other thread landing a backroll after about 200 attempts was probably the most elated I've been about sticking anything.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-22-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
I also landed a switch backroll last night after about 10-15 attempts over the last week. Way quicker for me than the switch tantrum.

Collin,
The tip was the Re-entry jump. Just practicing that over and over. Then come into the wake with some speed and do the re-entry jump and it essentially trips you over the wake.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-22-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Lyle - that is a great story!

Chris - my beginner 360 advice: medium cut with arms straight (no elbow bend), handle low. let off the cut a bit and stand tall at the wake so you release some rope tension, otherwise you will not make the handle pass. then, dont start the spin until you are in the air. initiate the spin with a pull on the handle and your head/eyes, then concentrate on the handle pass, not the spin - if you pass the handle you will likely land the trick. if you try to huck your body into a spin and not initiate it by pulling in the rope, you will lose your balance and not know where the rope is and land funcked up.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-22-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
Landed a W2W half cab my first ever attempt. was with Brent Baum during a lesson. was super stoked. still hoping to land a 3 this year sometime.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-22-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
I landed a hs 180 w2w after 10 attempts! Was too freaked out to try it before, but luckily never had a bad fall!
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Same here thomas, just last weekend!
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
I just completed my first full summer of riding. (i got up on a wakeboard for the first time last july). This year has been great. I have my HS w2w consistant, and i went TS w2w for the first time a few weeks ago. Ive gotten a few board grabs down, and am still working on my 180s. Next spring im wanting to start on my inverts!
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       09-28-2006, 4:52 AM Reply   
My son and his friend were watching a how too video and were looking at the HS front flip. Next time we go out he throws it and lands it the first try. A week later he is adding a grab to it. Now I am trying them with crash after crash. He made then look so easy. I guess youth and coordination go a long way.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Half cab first try last week, and starting to get ts grabs down w2w
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
crap sorry, forgot that I posted that
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
HS front last night..... haven't tried one in about 5 years. Got it first try and then nailed 2 very nice/large ones. Fun trick that you don't see very much anymore.
Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-28-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
i landed a whirly this years after a year of trying them haha...a switch hs 3 first try and a switch hs 5 3rd try
Old     (wakeville)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-28-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
Tantrum, I was thrilled considering that I am 42 years old! Landed it 4 times, still working on my consistency so I can land it every time.