Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-30-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
So I was reading SURFING magazine today and they had a boardshort review guide for all the major manufacturers for this summers boardshorts (including Grubbs signature shorts from BBong). They had pics and prices for 200 new styles. I was shocked as I counted out of the 200 that only 17 were priced under $50. Most ranged from $55 to $75 with the most expensive being $99 from Hurley.

So it brings me to this question.....what's the max price are you willing to pay for boardshorts, if you are footing the bill? Who's buying the $99 pair?

Next question, how much do the technical aspects of the boardshorts really drive your purchase decision? For example, 4 way flex fabric, stitchless seams, superfabric, etc. drive the price.

Or do you buy based up overall colors and graphic design? Fit? Or are you brand loyal? And if the style you like comes with techie fabric then that's an extra bonus.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-30-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
I would prob pay up to $60 for a set but I would rather pay like $30-$40 they seem to last just as long either way and $99 is just ridiculous for a set of boardies
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
haha i just picked up some ten-80 caddy shorts for 35 bucks on sale, i just thought they looked cool and matched my board. no technical thought process, simply aesthetics
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-30-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
I am willing to pay $50 (CDN) at the most for boardshorts. $99 better get me a silk pair that are custom fit to my behind.
The technical aspect is not something I go into a shop looking for, but it helps with the decision between a couple pairs. Fit, and then graphics is the biggest decider for me (I am tall and skinny, fit is tough).
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-30-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
I used to ride motorcross and i always wore Fox, and so far I like the way their shorts fit me the best. The new Latinese with the flex fabric are sick. I also like the graphics on their shorts the best.

I pay for most of my clothes and I payed like $75 for the new Fox shorts, so that is probably the max. I checked out those $100 ones from Hurley just now, they look weak.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-30-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
I wouldn't pay more than 60. Fit and looks are at the top. I've had a few pairs of O'Neill Superfreaks and find it hard to wear anything else.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
I think the cost has gotten out of hand on shorts period. I will pay 60 and my biggest concern is that the velcro front has something to keep my "stuff" from getting into the velcro. Nothing like a bad fall and all you can think of is the road rash on your "stuff". Outside of that dry time.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for asking CIRE. No way to outrageous prices. The materials and seams are great right now. I would say fit and design are the most important to me. I am very picky about style when I shop for boardshorts. I'm always looking for deals but generally $50 is my max.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
CIRE, When buying boardshorts, $70 is the MAX I will pay for a pair. Even if I were to pay that much, they better be some nice, comfortable, non-velcro shorts. I dont put too much effort toward supporting a brand of boardshort as I do with my wakeboard and other boarding equipment. The number one thing that plays a factor in the shorts I buy are prob design. There are some sick lookin boardshorts out there that I'd love to rep. Second, the shorts have to be long enough for the size I wear. I don't sag my shorts at all and I have what some would say a "bubble-butt" so I wear a size 32-33 waiste and im 5'11" so Its not easy finding size 32 waiste that go past my knees. After buying a pair of Matix boarshorts, im in love with the quality they produce, and the elastic in the front instead of the typical "crunchy" velcro that sometimes tears from the shorts due to the velcro sticking so well. So design and non-velcro are my personal preferences.
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-30-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
I've recently seen that Boardshorts have gone up in price. I don't remember if it was just this year but i remember buying a few pairs around 50$ last year and then this year they are more around 60$
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
Marshall's. All board shorts are last years pairs and all are priced $25 or less. I have bought my Billabongs there for years. They also have alot of other top brands. Just like any other wake item I buy I refuse to pay retail. Unless it is something like a custom super surf sac from Fly High, but that will be a different thread in about a week.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2009, 10:40 PM Reply   
I am picky about my boardshorts. I am big on the technical stuff. After wearing oneill super freaks I cant wear non stretchy shorts. I hate when the knee sticks and doesnt bend. So either 4 way stretch or the neoprene strip in the superfreaks is a must for me. I also like stichless eams, i go commando in my boardshorts so its much more comfortable. Also i will not buy shorts with velcro, the stretchy webbing is way better.

as for price, i wouldnt pay more then $65ish
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2009, 5:46 AM Reply   
I agree with most everyone else, I do not like to pay more than $30-35 for my board shorts and I really do not like the velcro either. I usually get mine at Marshalls or TJ Max and I got a pair of Superfreaks about 2 years ago and fell in love with the stretch... I would prefer to only have stretch shorts now. And fit is a big thing for me too, I have a big butt and hips and I have found that many board shorts are not cut to fit me they are tight in the hips and if I go up to get the hips loose then they will not cinch enough in the waist. I do have a pair if your Cires that I got from Drew Conroy (his dad gave them to me and they are sweet... I love the snaps at the fly... I have never seen anyone else using that... they are one of my favorite pairs. I think that I am in the minority, but I really do not like my board shorts too long, I prefer them to stop above the knee... I have even had some hemmed to make them a little shorter to my liking.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
I usually get about three pairs a year and I wear them everywhere all summer. Usually I buy one pair for retail that I really like at about $60 and then I try and find a couple of last season's styles for cheaper either online or at a tj max. No way am I paying $99.

As for the technical aspects, I do not know anything about anything you said. However, I do a visual and feel test on material and how it's made. If the material feels cheap or the shorts don't look well made, no way I buy them. Like someone else said, cheap material leads to rashes and shorts that fall aport and/or look like doo doo after a couple washes.

Looks and fit are obviously very important. If I don't look good in them, I won't wear them.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
"i go commando in my boardshorts"

There are guys that don't?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-31-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
I wouldnt pay more than $60.00. I buy on:

1. Brand loyalty - Brands such as Fox, BillaBong, Oneill are made with quality materials. I know that if I buy these they will last a long time. I have some 5-6 year old "top brand" board shorts that still look good.

2. Design
3. Fit

Lastly and this maybe stupid but I only buy brands that support the Wakeboarding industry. For a long time I never even considered Quicksilver and Billabong because of their lack of support for the industry years back.
Old     (corasky123)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-31-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
I buy mine on clearance at the local boat shop for like $5-$20(last year's styles, but they are still Oneill). They clearance them out twice a year, once in spring and once in fall. I would NEVER pay $50 for boardshorts.

(Message edited by corasky123 on March 31, 2009)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Don't pay to much attention to price, I wear boarshorts quite a bit ( living on the lake). If they fit good, and I like them, I buy them. I may balk at paying $100 for a pair though. I usualy buy 2-3 pair every year. My shorts are ready for the garbage after a couple seasons. I'm basically on a constant rotation of 5-7 pairs.

Now my wife's bikini's...I about s*it my pants every time I see the CC statement for those.
Old     (steezin4noreason)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-31-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
$30-$40
Old     (aroed)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-31-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
i get two pair a season and ends up being over $100. if you stop and think about it that pretty rediculous. Just ordered the Fox Latinese and Inked. cant wait for them to come in. I just look for what they look like, with the exception of my superfreaks those are probably the only ones that are any different than "normal" boardshorts
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-31-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
I refuse to pay anything more than 35 dollars. I know for a fact that all those companies aren't paying top dollar for them to be made.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
$50 max (SuperFreak's are the only one's that are really worth that), but normally only shop on the sale rack
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
jason, of course not, its the retail shops trying to get a 100% markup
Old    murrayair            03-31-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
$45 is my normal limit, but I'll go up to $50 is I REALLY see a pair that I like. Mostly, I just buy on aesthetics but if a pair has a really good, non-velcro fly, then I will look at those more closely. I also like board shorts that are a little longer, like CIREs.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Graphics make me pick the shorts out and the fit triggers a purchase. The materials used go a lot into how the shorts fit, but I don't really read the technical labels. I would definitely agree about board shorts with stretch properties. If I pick it up and it is stretchy then that satisfies my technical need.

I do not like board shorts with zippers. I don't really see the point of a zipper. I like what Hurley does with the neoprene or nylon panel that goes across the fly.

I think $50 should be the max, but the average price is definitely around $60 now.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm old school but I'm with janelle. When the shops put them on clearance thats when I buy mine... $25-$30. After running a proshop for a while, I know the cost and can't stand to pay retail for boardshorts.

$100 shorts is insane, they probably have $8-$10 in material and a few bucks for the chinese labor invested in those, yet apparently people still buy them at that price because they are the "cool" shorts!
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-31-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
I'm an eBay special guy. I find style/graphics I like and there you go. I usually spend $20-25 on my shorts thanks to clearance/eBay prices. I'd spend $50 tops if it was a SICK pair...
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-31-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
I pay 2 for $55 when pac sun runs the sale. allthought the shorts have started to get kinda crazy looking nowadays. i like the plain boardshorts.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
I'm also an ebay guy. I spent $25 each for two pairs of oneill boardshorts in the most recent styles. I buy from this guy http://stores.ebay.com/surfjetties_Mens-shorts_Board-shorts_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ16667848QQftidZ2Q QtZkm

He only carries size 32 so its perfect for me.

I did pay full price on a pair of no 2 cires last year but I filled out a little and can't squeeze into them anymore.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-31-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
$100 For board shorts is crazy.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Sure, for people who get them for free.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I generally buy one pair of nicer ones for $50 and then a couple more pairs of clearance shorts each year.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-31-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Pac-sun was having a $25 sale on all shorts in their store about a week and a half ago. I just made the argument that board shorts should count as shorts, they looked over their paperwork regarding the sale and said that it didnt say boardshorts were excluded so i picked up 2 new pairs for under $60 with tax....

I thought it was a good deal on this years shorts. Check it out.... most of the managers dont care.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
I hate paying for it but Superfreaks are worth it.... the are insanely comfy and tough.... I usually get a pair or two a year (~$55 a pop) but I have pairs from years and years ago that are in perfect shape.

So I guess pay $50+ for a pair of anything else I won't do.... but I'll shell out for the superfreaks.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-31-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
$25ish.... Cannot remember the last pair that I didn't get from whiskeymilitia or closeout at Pac-Sun.....

Just picked up some Charlie Brown looking Billabong Joel Parkinson boardshorts from WM for $17.....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-31-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Oh...and as far as why I buy something.... I just buy on aesthetics....and even then, I am not too particular, just have to look good, not great.... Like I said, I just picked up some Charlie Brown looking shorts.... My wife loves them, I think they are "okay" at best.... But for like $20....who cares, it is another pair of boardshorts....
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-31-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
The Charlie browns are what I rock. They are bitchin'

$40 is the max I will spend. I usually buy last years stuff.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-31-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
My max is 55-60, but I am very reluctant to go over 50. I buy based mostly on looks, with brand loyalty being a small factor. I like the looks of the O'Neill and Split stuff generally. One other (obvious) factor is availability of selection. I would love to try on (and probably buy) some CIRE boardshorts because I hear great things about them and they have long inseams, but my shops dont carry them and I dont want to buy clothing without knowing how they fit, and paying shipping.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-31-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
i have 4 pair of Oakley, 1 quicksilver and 1 billabong. the last pair i got were oakley as a gift. it has a zipper instead of velcro for the fly. fits much better w the zipper. will not buy velcro fly again. $75 max. hopefully $60. usually buy for pattern/color and fit. $100 for boardshorts?, i wont pay that for jeans. been buying oakley jeans lately... on sale
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-31-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Like alot of you....when we buy board shorts, the sticker shock of the prices can make deciding what to order extremely hard. But the crazy thing is, that the technical shorts like the new Oneill Hyperfreak, and Billabong Platinum shorts definately sell. I got a early pair of the new Hyperfreaks...and they are one of the most comfortable, quick dry, stretch board shorts out there. Today I found we had sold out of some key sizes and tried to re-order and our rep told me it would be June before I could get more. Bottom line style plays into it, fit, and function. And if you want the latest styles and / or tech features....they'll cost more. But there are also closeouts / deals to be had. I doubt theres any shop that carries apparel that doesn't have a sale rack with legit shorts still available....(if you are the right size).
Bill @ perfski.com
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-01-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
Easy now Eubanks!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-01-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
With all of the online closeout sites there is no reason you have to pay full price for trunks, unless you just have to have the latest neon vomit covered crap that's out today.

I wear Patagonia trunks for surfing and they're known to be expensive but I still get those off of their web specials for a much discounted price. The funny thing is, they are no more expensive these days than Hurley, Oneil, etc, but they guarantee them for life. If anything breaks or wears out, they replace or repair them if you send them back.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-01-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
I usually buy 2-3 pairs a year, but I rarely pay more than $25 for them. When it comes to polyester microsuede type shorts I cannot see any difference from the top of the line brands to the Mossimo shorts you can get at Target for $18. There may be some small differences in laces, etc., but big deal. As long as they look cool, fit well, and don't have an elastic waist band, brand doesn't matter to me.

I will pay a little more for shorts made with stretch material. They are just more comfortable to me than the poly microsuede. However, I see no reason to pay full price for them when you can get them for $25 or less on close-out. I typically buy all of my board shorts during the winter when you can get them for nothing.

(Message edited by nauty on April 01, 2009)
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-01-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
ok, i retract what i said about zipper fly. i just bought a pair of Affliction Boardshorts for $75 on their site cuz the pattern matched my Marek board to an extent. though they do have 4 way stretch. still thats the max i would pay for boardshorts. and i am an adult and can easily afford to pay more. i just wont, it's a mater of principal.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-05-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
Boardshorts are horribly overpriced. 30$ or maybe 40$ is the max they should be priced. Luckily I'm not so fashion conscious that I can still wear my Target clearance rack shorts.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-07-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback everyone....

That was my biggest question...how do they justify a price tag of $60 - $75 on a pair of trunks? And who is buying them at that price?

I guess they have to fund their marketing budgets somehow.
Old     (bobbynipper)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-15-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
I buy board shorts at the end of the year on sale. Lol
Old     (sandiegotoken)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-20-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
Yesterday I was wearing board shorts that I got from Target in Jackson, MS over a year ago.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
i haven't bought shorts in a while simply because of ridiculous pricing.

i'd probably pay $40 max.

features don't really appeal to me much, as long as it's quick-drying...and long.

i'm not much for crazy graphics. i like the clean look. i like classic colors like red, white, dark blue and black. i've been wanting shorts in kelly green, but i've yet to find one w/o crazy graphics on it.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-20-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Watch Whiskeymilitia.com. They have board shorts at 50% off regularly. The most I have paid is around $25 for some pretty sweet shorts.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Did the material for the superfreak change since 06? My wife bought me a pair last week(the camo ones), and they seem a lot thinner than my old pair of digicamo superfreaks.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-20-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
How much does it cost to manufacture a pair of good quality boardshorts? I'm no expert, but $50+ for a pair of shorts is highway robbery!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
So here is my next question.....

As an example...Say a brand like Oneill dropped their everyday price on the superfreaks to $40. Would you become loyal to the Superfreaks at $40 because they are a better value than other brands at $50+....Or would you still buy other brands?

Or still shop the sales rack?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
it all depends on design/color. if it's sick, i'm all over it for $40. most shorts out there are hideous, whether they're cheap or over $60.
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-20-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
I feel $40 is a bit steep for shorts but all the designs I prefer are usually more than that. I can't stand the velcro flys. I like Volcom because they use zippers.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-21-2009, 10:02 PM Reply   
Joe Umali (dakid) wrote:

i'm not much for crazy graphics. i like the clean look. i like classic colors like red, white, dark blue and black. i've been wanting shorts in kelly green, but i've yet to find one w/o crazy graphics on it.

So Joe...say a manufacturer could make you a pair of solid Kelly Green boardshorts with minimal graphics...what size would you need?
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 11:32 PM Reply   
i bought a pair of CIRE boardshorts cause everyone had a big boner for them in a previous thread. Pretty much everything I buy is based on the opinions of you jokers...
Old     (dtownwakeboard)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-22-2009, 12:34 AM Reply   
i second the patagonia shorts... you get your moneys worth from them
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-22-2009, 1:08 AM Reply   
cire, i wear size 32. it's probably the most popular size, right?
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-22-2009, 5:38 AM Reply   
I try to check out whiskey militia and dog funk every once in a while and get some of the close out deals. Just picked up some new volcom board shorts for about $20 shipped.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-22-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
Size 34 is the most popular size for us.

Are you a true 32 or do you sometimes go up to a 34 in boardshorts?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-22-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
I would pay $30-$40 for some trunks made with the quality of board shorts but not the length of f'ing capri pants. I really hate this long shorts fad. I'm still mostly wearing my crappy swim trunks because they cover my junk but don't come down to my knees.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-22-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
i'm a true 32.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-22-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
I'm a Superfreak guy to the death, so $60 is about my limit... but occasionally I'll buy a pair of something different if the fit, length and MATERIAL are similar. Just bought these Reefs at Ambush and they are dope as shiz:

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/Kxg3Z

I also have some RipCurls I like as well.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
CIRE can I repeat my boardshorts rant of the year and say I challange any boardshorts manufacturer to make really cool womens boardshorts.

This means fitted at the hips, long to the knees and looser fit at the knees. NO pink or baby blue allowed. No pictures of diamonds or lipstick allowed. No birds or flowers. Just take good solid designs like the mens have and apply to womens. These are for the real riders. Please no "short shorts are hotter" comments.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2009, 12:03 AM Reply   
http://boardshortsworld.com/
has a seemingly endless supply of fabric/ print choices. the mens "long" shorts are not "long." however, they sell board pants still...and you could cut them shorter. and for the women there is a capri style that is LOooong.

never seen one of their shorts in person, but thought i might share this... pretty pricy too, but a huge selection of colors and prints.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-23-2009, 5:20 AM Reply   
Awesome find, Jeremy. They even have some I consider too short. To clarify my earlier comment, I guess I'm looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of a 7" inseam. Above the knee but longer than boxer-briefs and without the elastic waist. Anyone know where I can find that sort of thing?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-23-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Definitely wouldn't consider their long inseam as long (9.5").
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Dante:

These are on sale:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HAN DLER&style_color=11293-082&ws=true&patcatcode=WEB_SPECIALS_-_SALE_PRICING_ON_OUTDOOR_CLOTHING,_GEAR_AND_APPARE L&searchkeyrefferer=shop.jsp&encodedsearchkey=OPTI ON%3DESHOP%26S%3DSALE%26psDrilldown%3Dtrue%26PC%3D SPECIAL%26N%3D4294967289%2B30016611%2B30017331%26p sPageNumber%3Dall

and you might consider their "minimalist" trunks as well.

Again, Patagonia makes great trunks for surfing where you really notice the difference in mobility and lack of chaffing. As far as wakeboarding, as long as the waist fits, trunks don't really seem to matter as long as they're comfy.

There are also some trunks from the big Quikabong companies that make "retro" or shorter style trunks as well.
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       04-23-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
no more than $20

steapandcheap and whiskeymilitia usually have some cheap shorts once the season rolls around
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
I don't get it - boardshortsworld only has three patterns of shorts for guys???? Great selection. And the board pants are snooze city, one plain pattern.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-25-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
cool thread, Eric.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
i want some kelly greens....

my biggest quam with board shorts is that they're basically made for peoples with chicken legs...i have a 34" waist but have to buy a lot of my jeans/shorts at least 2 sizes bigger so my thighs won't look like they're in tights...

ALTHOUGH i was checkin out some No Fear shorts the other nite and they were HUGE!!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-25-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
Romes,

Funny you should say that...Your point about chicken legs is one of our FAQ's that I am putting on our website....

I hear a lot of hype about your boardshorts. What makes them so great?

Simply stated…..the FIT. The CIRE brand was built around a good fitting, comfortable pair of boardshorts. During the design process, we develop our patterns and fit based upon real people. We don’t use skinny malnourished models or computer programs to develop our boardshorts. Therefore, our boardshorts fit the average person the way they are supposed to…with room to move, surf and ride…guaranteed.

We also personally want to cure the epidemic of people buying boardshorts 1 size too big so that they are longer. So we cut our boardshorts a little longer than the rest. Buy the waist size that you need and get the length that you want….guaranteed.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
i own 3 pairs of your shorts and i like them all for the length but they're still too tight around my thighs....but i also know that don't have a 'typical' build either so i dont complain...i just buy them bigger..

i want some that fit like basketball shorts...long, baggy, large leg opening...