Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-24-2003, 1:21 AM Reply   
yes, an epic saga so big, so amazing, so long - it could only be told in three parts! you might be thinking i'm referring to that hallowed cinematic piece "the godfather," but no i am in fact referring to my latest creation, "la familia."

my girlfriend and i spent a great day on lake elsinore some weeks ago with mark burk, his daughter erica and thane. since it was just a week after my accident i didn't ride, which gave me plenty of time to capture all the fun on camera.

part I is available here:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9505 (16.5mb)

it features mark, with a cameo by our favorite wakewhore, tim jewitt.

part II and III are in the works...

much love to mark and erica for making us part of their extended wakeboarding family!

hope you enjoy it.

(Message edited by deepstructure on November 24, 2003)
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2003, 3:30 AM Reply   
Chris, your videos are so rediculously good. This video seriously gave me goose bumps down my arms, and got me so amped to ride. The way you put them together is so smooth. Very passionate( i think is the word im looking for) i guess.. hmm i think im having a moment here all by myself at 3:30 AM, anyways, awesome video, keep em coming. peace out
skylar
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
Nice vid christopher, the drive-by scene was great. Looks like Jewitt is going bigger than ever. Can't wait to see Part II.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
Great video C! Did you still want to put one together for me? We'll have to start riding together more Come up just about any time.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-24-2003, 8:41 AM Reply   
Very well done.
Old    deltahoosier            11-24-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Nice Vid. Great Theme...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-24-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
thx for the compliments folks. glad you like it. if you didn't see it, check out my previous vid and let me know whatcha think:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/89279.html?1069212455

brandon, sure i'd definitely do a vid for ya. you have any footage already? i've got some footage of ya, although i may have already taped over it, and if you want a good copy i'll need to redigitize at a higher rez. anyways, we should probably just start fresh with new footage. but if you have any footage you want to use, let me know and we can get that going too.
Old    stormrider            11-24-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
Great, video, Chris. Ever thought of doing one on wakesurfing!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Seriously good stuff. So mellow, laid back. Made me feel like "yeah, I wish I was there."
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-24-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Chris: Very nice, did you shoot it in 16X9 or crop?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-24-2003, 3:45 PM Reply   
shot in regular 4:3, but i use the widescreen matte setting in my camera. not true 16:9, but i like the way it looks. although it does mean you are permanently stuck with the letterbox.
Old    stormrider            11-24-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
Alright, Chris: I just watched the Castaic video.

Here's the opinion of one member of the consuming public:

Castaic opening better (flashilght with the disappearing letters). La Familia is Spanish isn't it, but the balance of the theme is Italian.

The film, lighting width of the screen in La Familia is much more engrossing. Castaic looks a little home grown.

Music: rappers throwing the F bomb and other swear words is to me a distraction. I find myself listening to the music and not getting into the images. Maybe cuz I gots kids. Personal preference.

Your riding, like always, looks awesome: tantrum with one hand? 360s-- nice.

Tweak the opening and change the music on La Familia then contact the City of Elsinore and tell them you've got a city promo video for sale.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-24-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
whoops! good point steven. i meant to put a *parental advisory* stamp on the post. completely forgot. i never listen to lyrics so it wasn't until a few times through that i even noticed. my apologies to anyone who's children may be getting an unsolicited education in profanity.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-24-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
O.K. this is a hijacking! Everyone remain calm and no one gets hurt!

Seriously, great video, Christopher! Did you Jonathan and Nathan wind up riding on Saturday? I got your VM, but I didn't have your number to call back. It was howling! Whitecaps everywhere. We (Jared and I) went out Sunday morning, and it was decent.

Yous may now return to your regularly scheduled tread! Tank yous for your cooperation.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-24-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
lol jeff. yep, we went out on the main lake and it was white-caps. i rode, but i didnt recommend it to them so they didnt. we went back and jacuzzi'd to warm up and then hit the backwater. the backwater was great, not a ripple really. we all got a set in and it was definitely chilly, especially when the sun dropped behind the hills, but a good time.

310.869.0561 slacker!

carry on.
Old    walt            11-24-2003, 5:44 PM Reply   
Bravo!!!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-24-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
That makes sense, your shots looked really well framed. I've never been satisfied shooting 4:3 and then cropping in post, the shots just don't look as dialed in. What cam are you using again?

(I love 16X9 - if we just weren't shooting with so many different cams! (sigh))
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-24-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
i hear ya rich. difficult to get everything looking the same with different cams. although i did do a shoot recently with 2 cameras (mine and a canon gl2) and forgot to take the matte off. it worked out - i just matted the footage from the gl2 and it worked fine. of course, i had dictated the basic shot size i was looking for to all involved so it was more likely that i was going to get the right framing.

im shooting on an old (circa 1999) sony trv-615 hi8. its a bit beat up (crashed with it while filming and snowboarding at the same time at mammoth, just to name one mishap!), but it does the job for what im doing. sometimes its a bit sketchy when im digitizing.

i enjoy the luxury of not needing to get incredible quality in my shots. im doing this for fun! :-)

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
I'd edit down the overall speed just a tad and pull some cuts down into full on slow motion. Adds great style. Anyway, terrific video Christopher. And nice riding as usual Tim.
Old    buttacup            11-24-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
Nice video for part uno, I liked the drive by..haha. Looking forward to part II and III.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-24-2003, 9:06 PM Reply   
Another nice video from Deepstructure Films! I'm looking forward to parts 2 and 3.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-25-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
I'm impressed with the Windows Media compressor. Byte for byte I think it delivers better quality than QT mpeg4 or sorenson 3! Your footage looks good to me for Hi8, just think what will happen when you get a real cam!
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-25-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Chris,

Thank you for that. I truly enjoyed seeing myself acually land some tricks on video. I cannot wait to see the next installments. I hope we can get out and ride soon. I have not hit the water in since that day. That was a great video!

Andre,

Thanks!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-11-2003, 10:29 PM Reply   
Compliments on all three films. Great riding, great editing!!!!!!!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-14-2003, 3:27 AM Reply   
thanks for the compliments all!

btw, in case anyone cares, i've put up a cleaned-up version of this (edited out the f-words in the accompanying song):

la familia, part I - clean

it's not entirely clean - there's still plenty of s-words. they were too numerous to fix. but at least all the hardcore f-words are gone.

la familia, part II - the women

la familia, part III - the capo

(Message edited by deepstructure on December 14, 2003)