Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Here is a short video of my son wakeboarding. He just turned 7 and this is his 4'th time out. He is really starting to like it, unfortunately I just got of the phone with my wife and we just found out he broke his arm @ skateboard camp today so he will be out of commission for about 3 weeks!! Bummer

http://www.wakepics.com/img/16225

Later,
jjakober
Old    zboomer            07-19-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Congrats, and bummer at the same time!
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-19-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
That is cool as hell I know I tried to ge tmy boy up at 7 but it was early in the season and it was cold. He hasnt tried again but this year he said "DAD CAN YOU GET ME A VEST I THINK I WANT TO TRY AGAIN" So I am ready just waitting not pushing him. I like the old school WakeTech sticker
itch
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-19-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Kids are cool.....my two boys (8 & 11) have been riding for a couple years. I think both were on wakeboards at 6. We've had many small kids out on our boat and a couple years ago I came up with a pretty decent "method" of getting kids up. I get in the water with them on a knee board with an "aqua hook". With the hook I only have to hold on to the board, not the handle. With the other hand I hold the back of their wakeboard. As the pull starts I help make sure the back of the board gets down in the water and then steady it as they start to stand up. Once they stand and they seem somewhat stable, I let go and peel off to the side. On the knee board I can stay close enough to easily tell them directions. When they crash, I pull the handle from the hook and I'm floating there with them. That really helps the small kids from freaking out when they figure out they are out in the middle of the lake with the boat driving away. Some of the kids we've helped have been pretty small and it is tough for them to get turned on their back. Being right there in the water, I can help them get set for the next pull. I've had great success with this, and it usaully takes a couple times of getting up and then they are ready to dump the "old man training wheels". Keys to success are: knee board with Aqua hook, same length ropes, and a "smooth" driver (duh).
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
That is so cool! Congratulations!! My 7 year old daughter got up for the first time a week ago. The other night at the lake I had to rock, paper, scissors her for the good water.
Sorry about the broken arm. He will be riding again before you know it.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
Itch,

If you think the Waketech sticker is old school, then you will love the boat. It's a 1968 glassply!! That makes it 1 year older then me, and from what I hear from the people I ride with, that's pretty old school!!

Later,
jjakober
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Great stuff! I love watching little kids out there wakeboarding!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-19-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
Rush...now that's some great wakeboarding music.

Congrats on your kid's accomplishment! Keep him wakeboarding and listening to Rush, he'll be set for life! hehe.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Jakober,

Bring him with you to Pateros this year. Most of us are bringing the kids this time around and your kid is close to Christie Fisher's sons age.
We'll be there Sept 16th through 18th.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
I just might have to do that Cliff.
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
nothing better that watching the little man start to wakeboard. My son is 6 and he in now getting started. I would give up a day of butter just to go doubles with my little man.