Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-23-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
So for the WO Texas Wakesurf competition a few of us built boards for a charity auction. I started my effort by first building a prototype board. I built the prototype because I was using new materials including EPS and a catalyst enhancer. Then I built the charity board.

My friends like the prototype board so much that they asked me if I could make another for them. I happen to have an extra blank that had some problems. I fixed hat blank up and started glassing the board today.

I put a white/yellow resin swirl on the bottom of the board today. I cut lapped the resin swirl lap on the deck. I’ve never done a fabric inlay before but I’ve been think about trying one. I found an interesting fabric at Jo-Ann’s. It’s very colorful and has enough yellow to tie in to the rest of the board.

Here the board so far.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-23-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
We at Phase 5/Zap skimboards have done some really cool inlays with fabric. Steve Boomhower who builds all my personal boards as well as all the High end skimboards and surfers can do some crazy stuff I will try and get some pics of it. He did one with the whole top deck that had a sequence material inlayed. It was very shiny to say the least. That looks cool SHOW. Nice work
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-23-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Drew. You can look at a surf board as simple a board or you can also saw that is art too. The art adds a dimension to the sport.

Also, thanks for setting up the AWSA with prize boards this year. The first time I saw a Phase 5 in person was at the Texas Championship. Then we had two Phase 5 prizes at the Ohio Wakesurf Championship. The sliver-like weave with candy colors looks very cool.

I think I’ve tried something new on each board that I’ve built. That means I’m always on the learning curve. I added some Kokopelli Cave art on the bottom deck this after noon. Kind of dorked up a really good looking resin swirl. If you don’t try something new you never grow. So once I make a little more progress I’ll share my blunder. At l;eat the deck should look cool.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-23-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
The fabric is a nice addition, I have only seen a few boards with fabric inlays. Nice touch with the Kokopelli on the bottom, I bet it looks good!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-23-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
So the head on a Kokopelli has four locks of hair, right. I understood that the head on the Kokopelli cave art was a hand print. The fingers on the hand print form the locks of hair with the thumb going down to the body of the figure.

So, I made a hand print on the bottom and drew the body by hand. Finger painting. However, kindergarten was a long time ago and I was never an artist. I’ll go back to art on rice paper. This one is what it is.

We’re taking Jimmy to BG to tomorrow so I won’t make too much progress. I did the fabric inlay cut lap and I’ve interleaved 4-ounce glass bottom, top, bottom, with one more layer due for the top. I might get the fins installed Sunday night maybe a sanding coat too. I hope to have it ready for Friday.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-31-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
The board is about complete. Resin Research Epoxy has just been impossible for me to get a decent gloss coat from. I tried using Poly Urethane of the gloss coat instead. I'm not sure I like PU either. It takes a long time to cure but at least it doesn't crater of result in Mi-cell zits.

I put a double pin line on the board. One line wide the other thin. Both pin lines are a kind of resin swirl done in black and while.

The deck
Upload

Side view
Upload

Pin line close up
Upload

From the back
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-01-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
You're becoming a pro at cut laps and pinlines! That's a great looking stick Show!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-01-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Rode it for just a short set today. The deck is as slippery as can be. Needs traction bad. The board handles nicely, very fast rail to rail.

This board has two layers of 4 ounce glass on top plus the fabric inlay, and there are another two layers of 4 ounce glass on the bottom. That should be plenty strong.

OK, Now for my embarrassing cave art...
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-01-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
cool Ed!

I bought some fabric a while back, but haven't got the guts yet to give it a try...
Old    lakeside5_10            09-02-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
Ed ,
i wear water shoes for the 1st time out so i can get the kick pad and traction placement right.

cool inlay