Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
Not to get anyone all upset here but does anyone carry a firearm aboard their boat. Before I get killed here I know it's not the ocean or anything but I just got my CCW here in Texas and wondered if anyone else had some exp. in this area. Matt
Old    millerman            03-09-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
My suggestion would be not to for a few reasons.

First would be if people on the boat are drinking, they don't always think clearly. Alcohol or other similars due not mix well with weapons.

Secondly, anytime you are in any type of conflict, a gun is involved because you brought one. Not necessarily that you would be holding it, but the worry if it got into the wrong hands.

Thirdly, if you go into a harbor, store, etc, on the water, you have to do something with it.

Unless you boat in a bad area, sometimes the Cal Delta could qualify :-), it's not worth the worry or headache.

Just my two cents.
Millerman
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-09-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
You gotta watch out for those Pirates!

Seriously though....I don't think it would be a bad idea...especially if you're on a long boating/camping trip. You can run into some crazy people out there sometimes...no need to be paranoid, but take it from the boy scouts...be prepared.

Plus, after posting this...no one will mess with you now! :-) or w/ me either.... I still need to at least get some picks of a couple shotguns up in the board racks!! I am moving back to Idaho in a week! I just had a thought..what about a clay pigeon thrower on the swim platform of your boat...you could take a shoot'n break between sets. A new meaning to taking a "pull" behind the boat! ha ha
Old    swass            03-09-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
I'd never do it, but to each his own, I guess. Is a CCW some sort of concealed weapons permit? Do you want to bring it with you just because you can?

As a passenger, I'd want to know there's a weapon on board, especially if I have my kid(s) with me. I would not be too happy with you if my son stumbled upon your gun while he's rootin' around for his goggles.

(Message edited by swass on March 09, 2004)
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
Levi you have no idea how correct you are. When I went and messed around with the A&M ski team a few years ago we sat in the middle of the lake (ski lake) on the back of their CC and shot clay pigeons thrown from the shore. Again more like levi said on a camping trip of sorts not just a day trip to the lake.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-09-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
If you are pulled over by the Coast Guard you must declare your weapon immediately.

It is really difficult to accurately hit your target on a rolling and pitching boat. It takes a lot of training and practice.

If you miss, your projectile will sometimes skip on the water and continue downrange. You are responsible for all impact your projectile makes.

A boat is an inhospitable place for a firearm. We cleaned our guns every day to avoid corrosion. SS does not preclude corrosion becuase your rounds also oxidize and corrode.

Finally, check your local laws. Shotguns are not regulated all that much and are ideal for boat use since you have the spread and the projectiles don't travel too far. Mossberg makes a good SS shotgun suitable for marine use. Pistols are problematic from both a legal and accuracy sense.

Pull!
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
True Swass thus the point of CCW is no one should ever know that you are in posession of a firearm. Also the first thing taught in the class is you NEVER leave you firearm somewhere where you are not, and if you do nobody even an adult should be able to find it even if looking for said item. The more I think about it the more I feel the boat itself might not be the best place for a firearm, rather locked in a glove box of my vehicle or directly on my person.
Old    swass            03-09-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
I don't care if you have it tucked under your scrotum, Matt....if there's a weapon on board, I want to know about it. Maybe that's just me.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-09-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Bad idea. How many people have posted about their boards, stereo stuff etc being ripped off at a marina. If you're gonna carry a gun, you CARRY the gun. Don't leave it in your truck or boat for some scroat to steal. Maybe on a camping trip in the glades or the delta, but not for everyday lake/river trips. Plus you'll always be worrying where it is, are the kids near it, where to carry it while in your board shorts.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-09-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
I always wonder about people who feel it necessary to carry a weapon. Who are you scared of?
Old    tball            03-09-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
a louisville slugger and a stun-gun will take care of most problems. I'd leave the firearms at home.
Old    bobbymucic            03-09-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
I have several law enforcement buddies that I ride and camp with. The LAPD guys rarely ever travel without. The gov. guys often don't bring along.

If they must leave it on the boat, they'll tell me and I'll keep an eye on it (usually it in their backpack or a fanny pack (man purse ) when they are in the water.

I've asked them about why they sometimes do or don't carry. Basically, they weigh out if they are safer with it, or putting people at risk if they take it. For example, at lake powell, 15 people, 3 law enforcement...none bothered to take their guns knowing we'd be drinking and sharing lots of space. On the other hand, local camping near LA and Bakersfield, these guys don't like to be away from their guns.

It's been weird hanging out with these guys. I went snowboarding in Utah with a few of them, and checking in at the airport was interesting. I could have upgraded to business class... as a prisoner in transport...

Anyway, I agree with your added post.. you are safer without it.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
Police Officers carry firearms off duty because you still are a police officer even out of uniform and are expected to act appropriately. This does not mean that you take police action everytime you see a crime being committed. Off Duty police officers are told it is better to be a good witness rather than a hero when you witness something off duty. You can follow a suspect from a distance and call the local Police Department and guide the "uniformed" officers towards the suspect and give a good statement of what you saw. We carry our firearms off duty just in case ourselves or our family become threatened by a criminal. It is there to protect ourselves and others from certain death or great bodily injury. Not to walk around like a cowboy in the wild west.

As far as bringing it on the boat. I don't like it. I don't really understand why you need to bring it on. It's not like someone is going to come aboard and "carjack" you. Robberies on the water? Not likely. Other violent crimes... chances are slim.

You are just asking for trouble bringing a gun on the boat. You can't carry it with all the time so you would have to stow it. Too many people around that would have access to it. I guess you could get a neoprene shoulder holster when it's your turn to wakeboard though.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
I take mine on the boat.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-09-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
Isin't it CHL? (Concealed Handgun License)
What state are you in ?
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-09-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
In Texas it s A (CHL)

And my handgun goes with the boat never on the boat i.e. stays in the truck. Drinking+Guns=Fishing with weapons = me in jail
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
True mismatched my terms CCC CCW all that stuff, but your right in Texas it is a CHL.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       03-09-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
I have a CHL in Texas but never carry it on the boat. It stays in the truck locked up. We usually have kids around and always have some form of alcohol in the boat or at the campsite.

If we are camping overnight I will put it in the tent but will always have it with me so it's not left alone unattended. In the morning it goes back in the truck locked up.

Guns are tools. And just as if you gave the keys to your 5 year old and they started up the car and drove down the road, a gun is very dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced.
Old     (txmotorcop)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-09-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
I think everyone in this post has good reasons on why or why not to carry a weapon. I believe it depends on the situation and if there had been any problems on that particular lake. You can always ask the water marine officers and they will tell you. down in texas i have never heard of people being jacked in the water, although i know there had been disturbances mostly due to people who cant control their liquor.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2004, 6:53 PM Reply   
If you have a CHL then by means carry where it is lawful. I live in Texas, and the boat is one place I don't always carry. It is a personal decision, decide upon the pros and cons, go from there. Would never even think of being w/o on a day to day basis especially in DFW.
Old    ag4ever            03-09-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
Since we usually don't have alcohol on the boat (alcohol + texas sun = dehydration), I don't have a problem. There are even times that I would like to have it on the boat with me. In the middle of Travis if you are "boatjacked" then it would certainly mean death since swiming to shore just might be a killer. Also, there are those on some lakes that feel alcohol + water = fun, and when their senses are impaired they might feel more apt to do something stupid and risk my life.

The biggest reservations I have are: possible access to kids and if you have it you MIGHT actually use it, and then you would have to deal with the repercussions.

Right now, I think I will just stay alert and keep the guns at home, but my opinion might change at any time.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2004, 2:00 AM Reply   
For those who do have a CHL or CCW, I wonder why do you carry a firearm? I know about your second amendment right but I am curious what is your intention when you are carrying a weapon?
Old    beerdrnknboardr            03-10-2004, 3:27 AM Reply   
I have not, but have wanted to because I'll occasionally see some nice Bucks on BLM land around the lake. If it wasnt for it being illegal on the lake, the police boat going in to that cove to check the 5mph zone, and the problems tha would arise when tryin to bring a dear back on a nice wake boat i'd do it for sure. And hey if ya really feel you need some fire power on the boat you can always get a bunch of flare guns right. But I will occasionaly have a shotgun in the truck throughout the summer if i have been or am gonna shoot some clays, and toward late summer when seasons open up i might have a couple rifles in their too in case i have time to get a hunt in before everybody can go riding. Plus with the fact that a few people i know have had their trailers burglarized so i figure it couldnt hurt to have one just in case
Old    aircanada            03-10-2004, 3:48 AM Reply   
Why not make like a rapper and install a secret compartment..

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/1898/

Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
AP, I generally don't like to answer questions like that, especially on a forum where it so doesn't need to be discussed as there are many other places to do so on the internet. I will, as your question seemed curious in nature, not hostile. I treat a CHL like a spare tire, cell phone, or tools. I never leave home without any of the above. Why? I hope I never need to use any of the above in an emergency, but in case I do, I have the above with me, the same as with a gun. It is a method of last resort, to save the life of me and my family. The one time I did need it was 6 years ago, the firearm probably saved my life or a serious assault. I do not want to be in a situation where I give up my posessions, and the criminal shoots me anyway, has happened here and everywhere. It's a personal choice, that anyone should think long and hard about. I hope this answers you question. Like my father always said, you are responsible for yourself, no one else will protect or provide for you.
Old    x2hoss            03-10-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
Hey Don Johnson, keep the gun at home man, Wakeboarding-boating is a family fun pastime.If you need a gun to make it that much more enjoyable give it up.My family doesnt need a scare by seeing some idiot with a gun while out on our boat. Thats my .02 and i dont care if ya like it!!!!
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-10-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
A couple years ago we were on the Columbia River at the Quillomene Bay area. It was windy so everyone was partying on the beach. Some guys in a 30' Go fast pulled up to the beach. They were obviously drunk. One of them pulls out an AR-15 from the boat and walks down the beach and starts shooting at cans his buddy was throwing into the water. Scared the Sh*t out of me... We got out of there pretty fast.
I am an avid hunter and own guns, but there is a time and place for using them. This was not the time OR the place for that kind of BS.
Old    bigd            03-10-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
Pop a Cap!

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
Shane-
For those reasons I understand and empathize with the desire to carry a concealed weapon. Unfortunately I think too many incidents like the one described by kirk would occur out on the water. If you have a CCW/CHL then you are expected to have it on you at all times in public. Otherwise what is the use of carrying a weapon if you don’t have immediate access to it. If you feel the need to protect your life and your family, chances are the threat is going to happen immediately. You won’t have time to locate your gun where you stowed it, take the safeties/locks off and use it. You need to have it readily accessible so that your only reaction is to grab it and use it.

I don’t see how that is plausible on the boat. I can’t imagine someone keep a .38 in the waistband of their board shorts. If you don’t keep it on you then you have to stow it. Are you going to lock it up? Then the same situation as above applies. When the immediate threat happens you won’t have time to get your gun. So maybe you leave it in the glove compartment. What if you have kids in the boat. You turn your head or are out swimming and one of the kids grabs it. Shutter the thought. Maybe you have no kids on the boat and only adults. You are out drinking having a good time. Combination of the sun, alcohol and one of your “friends” who can’t handle his alcohol and gets in an argument with some other boater, this obnoxious yahoo decides to grab your gun to “show him”.

Like I said earlier. I can’t see of any reason to bring a gun out on the water. The chances of something violent happening are so slim it’s just not worth it. Just asking for trouble.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
ap, that is why 99% of the time I do not bring a gun on the boat, I don't have a personal need, nor have ever, but I would certainly not judge others. Now on my duck hunting boat probably a couple of shotguns and a handgun, nothing like going to an out of the way area on corp land (where people like to hang and congregate at all hours)around 3:00a.m., totally dark never knowing what you are going to find, wouldn't even think twice, it goes with me.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-10-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
I can’t imagine someone keep a .38 in the waistband of their board shorts.

Now that would be a funny site!!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
I liked Swass' "scrotum" quote. If you have a concealed weapons permit you obviously know the rules about leaving guns laying around for others to find so i dont know why anyone would bring that up except to point out that it is difficult to store it while on the boat especially if you do get in the water (could use a gun lock or locking case). This is a touchy subject for many as you see in the news today but that is why i like living in this country, "FREEDOM TO CHOOSE", i dont carry one but have thought about getting a CWP, dont think i would feel the dire need to have it on me while on the water but after carrying it for some time(like a cell phone) you might feel like your naked or missing something and not have that "secure" feeling??
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-10-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
A women tells the officer "officer I saw the whole thing happen. It was a ride by shooting. That SOB was doing a raley and busted a cap in that fishermans ass for getting in his way."

I carry about 3 guns in my boat. But that isn't my ski boat. That would be my Duck boat.
I have never even thought of taking a gun with me out boarding. If I go on a houseboat or camping trip we might have our .22 pistol. But not on a daily trip.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-10-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   

Old    dliguori            03-10-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Suddenly I feel safer knowing that there are guns being carried in boats across the U.S. It's a good thing too because without them the handgun death rate might go down and we Americans wouldn't hold the record.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Situations are different for everyone. I have a close friend who has his CHL. He owns a pawn shop and has a damn good reason to carry one. Sometimes after work, we go riding and I let him put it in my boat rather than making him lock it up his truck, where it is much more likely to get stolen. Both of us would rather see the damn gun go sinking to the bottom of the lake than have someone steal his gun and then use it in a crime, possibly hurting or killing someone. None of us have kids, so that is not a problem. Also, I don't allow alcohol on my boat. Just as I don't allow someone to drink and drive my truck. I know I will step on a few toes, but in my opinion, it is just a bad idea to drink and boat. I have seen more accidents/near accidents/bad situations caused by drunken boaters than I care to recall.

If anyone thinks it is unsafe to carry a gun on a boat but thinks it's okay to drink while driving a boat, they are a damn hypocrite. I know I will get a lot of hate mail for that because it isn't the "cool" thing to say. But
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
I have boarded many boats with owner's guns on them. The law-abiding citizen has never threatened me. I personally do not fear anyone with a concealed weapons permit. Now drunk hunters, that is a different story. Drug runners are always a treat.

I do not recommend the mix of kids and guns. However, having lived around trained, armed people day and night for over a decade, I personally have no fear of firearms (a ton of respect). If you do carry a firearm, you have to be in the right mental state to use it properly. Anger and alcohol don't mix with gunpowder.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Well put Karl, no kids no booze.
Old    dliguori            03-10-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
fuel (fuel) I don't think anyone is going to call you uncool for being responsible. However, I really don't see the connection between drinking and driving and bringing a gun on the water for safety. I completly agree with your friend bringing his instead of leaving it in the car, but bringing one for protection seems to invite a heated situation rather than defuse it. Just my opinion! Here in So Cal they basically don't give concieled gun permits, and people aren't raised around guns to the extent of those in other regions of the county. That's probably why the idea makes me nervous.
Old    dliguori            03-10-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
Oh...and I agree that drinking and driving is far more dangerous, I just don't think they have anything to do with each other.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
john using the argument you presented I guess guns don't belong in the most stressful of environments of all, the freeways. Is this correct? The freeways are one of the reasons people around hear have a CHL. There have been two documented cases of people defending themselves against road rage incidents.
Old    x2hoss            03-10-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
Sorry for the negative post, and i am gonna have to stay away from this posting, My best friend blew the back of his head off,and it had quite an impact on me over the years.My son is 10 with worries of other kids sneaking guns into his school. whatever you decide to do ,on or off the boat, use your head........Lata
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
john very well, that's why I hesitated initially because inevitably someone will be effected in a personal way. That's why I like this forum, light conversation about a cool sport, there are plenty of other places to discuss this topic on the net.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-10-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
Considering what an HOT subject this can be, I think our board has handled it very well. You should all give yourselves a hand
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
As I said earlier i don't want it to be inflamatory or stir anything up, I just thought since this was the most concentrated boating site I visit I could get a balanced opinion. Sorry John for being an ass earlier, again I just wanted some pros and cons to think about from simmilar minded people. Again thanks, Matt
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
Here is a final shot. When I was a kid in school during hunting season we could take our rifles to school and put them in the janitor's closet so we could hunt the fields on the way home. This was limited to high school students and some limited junior high students. We never had an incident or a problem. We were raised around guns and we respected them as a dangerous tool. Can you imagine that situation today?
Old    wuneyewilly            03-10-2004, 11:44 PM Reply   
Having family in law enforcement, there is always a gun in my boat whether mine or the states.

You wont know a responsible owner, or law enforement officer, even has one.

There will always be those careless, inbred dumbasses that would make this topic seem ridiculous, dangerous, or unnecessary. The few ruining for the masses!

Guns are a right in the US and aren't going anywhere...bitch about something you CAN change!

Who makes a gun rack for my tower? lol

(Message edited by wuneyewilly on March 10, 2004)
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2004, 12:31 AM Reply   
Daniel, sorry, I was being sarcastic with the "cool" remark. I never can get the written word to convey my message right.

I didn't think the original post said anything about bringing a gun on the boat for saftey (protection) reasons. Personally, I don't see why you would need one for that unless you were in the ocean (piracy has actually been on the rise the last few years). However, what I am trying to say (rather badly, I might add) is that many people get all hysterical when you mention anything about guns (even when that gun is owned by a law abiding citizen), but think it is totally alright to drink and boat. Which is inherently more dangerous? Having someone that is responsible and knowledgable about firearms carry one on their boat, putting it (unloaded) and in a safe place or having a bunch of guys drink beer all day while in the sun getting dehydrated and operating a boat?

Man, I wish I could convey what I am trying to say. Maybe this will help:

Idiot who uses a gun carelessly or with ill intent = bad

Law abiding citizen who uses gun only when needed (self defense) = good

Idiot who gets drunk and tries to run over my rider with his fountain boat = bad

Guy who goes out with buds and family and uses his boat responsibly = good

What I'm trying to say is that neither guns, boats, or even alcohol are inherently bad. It is all in how they are used. I know one thing though, I worry much more about drunk drivers (boats or cars) than getting shot. Why? Because statistically you are much more likely to get killed by a drunk driver. And this is coming from a guy that's had guns pulled on him before.

BTW, Daniel, is that your kid? He looks like he is tokin' up! Cute kid, nonetheless. Congrats.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
Very interesting subject. I will also weigh in my thoughts. Personally, I would not allow a firearm on my boat. For this simple reason. I am not accustomed to being around firearms, therfore, neither is my son (3yrs). My fear is that because I have not been eductated with firearm's I know that neither would be my son (especially at his age). Now, squirt guns...he knows about those. Hence my fear. At the same time because I am not educated to guns, I am not going to take a stand against them. I could reasonably see a need to carry a gun on the boat if you are on houseboat in the middle of a large lake etc. I will say that it would scare the **** out of me to see a gun on a beach while hanging out. We can assume that like many other things in life you have responsible users and non-responsible users. I have no need to worry around a responsible user...because I should not know whether he/she is in posession. It is the non-responsible users that I fear. That fear was realized about 6 years ago driving home around 2am from a business trip and having a car pull up beside me and flashing a gun. Not cool....not a responsible user.

(Message edited by prostar205v on March 11, 2004)
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
That cartoon is just great Mike
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-11-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
Just mount one of these on your tower. It'll be outta reach of the kids and not even the coast guard will want to mess with you.

Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-11-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
wuneyewilly- I found you a gun rack for your tower.
Old    gambo2166            03-11-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Ok tell me all the times you needed a gun on your boat to protect you in a lake or a river. How many of you have been robbed? I just dont see a reson to bring it. But if there has been many of you that had to use it because you have been robbed or boatjacking then I standed corected. just my 2 cent.
Old    wuneyewilly            03-11-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
Tony- no ofense, but your ignorance may be bliss for you, but I'd rather not become a victim first, and THEN be justified in your eys.

I dont think anyone has said on this thread that they would, or do pack, so they can randomly blast caps at floating debris, other boats or people. In fact, you wont know a responsible owner has one when I am getting gas next to you....or we launch at the same time.

I also dont need my stereo to be what it is, but why do I have to justify myself to you anyway? To each their own and if it doesnt affect you, dont trip so hard about it.

Look at it this way...if some irresponsible piece of crap freaks and does start a rampage, we FEW can save your butt!

...and not that I need to, but I have 3 mbrs of my family in LE, have been raised to respect and properly taught since 6, am licensed and have never used it...nor shown it to anyone, for that matter.

Mike- Does the BU have a matching wood grain dash to go with that O/U shotgun? Think the rider would be nervous looking down those when Ralied?
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-11-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
wuneye- This boat is state of the art. Has a reloader, custom shell holders, and has a walnut dash to match your custom weatherby O/U.
Old    gambo2166            03-11-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
No ofence taken. I just asked a question but you didnt anwser it.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-11-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Question for those who carry guns.

What is your idea of self defense? Shooting some one who's kicking your ass cause they wouldn't put up with your gun-toting attitude.

It seems people who would carry guns are less tolerable to everyday situations.
Instead of dismissing a conflict with words or a hand gesture and moving on, you might push it farther thinking that "I have a gun, what's he going to do"?
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
If you guys could just take a CHL class I think your opinions of people who carry would be completely different. I have not taken, but have friends and family who have. The teachers preach that by carrying there is an inherent risk for you and your future. I.E…If you choose to show and/or use that weapon the consequences could be devastating. I am with Shane, this is something that is just personal preference, the arguments a generally in vain.
Old    wuneyewilly            03-11-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
Answering towards the direction asked...A gun should only be used if you reasonably feel your life is in danger and are prepared to cause death...not to cause fear, or show off! If my ass was being kicked to the point I would die unless I revealed it, then yes.

Give the majority of owners the benefit of doubt and realize we aren't gang banging punks, have it stuffed in our sagg'in jeans, attend Klan, Crip or Jihad meetings...and have never had to point it at, nor shoot anyone, thank God!

Maybe this thread topic is most interesting to teenagers and twenty year olds...I am 31, never been convicted on anything, am law abiding, pay taxes, vote, own a house and have 2.36 kids.

People killed each other long before the invention of guns and would continue to do so if they were are relinquished. Educate yourself of what you fear, dont just jump on the 'guns and their owners are the downfall of society' bandwagon.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-11-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
I'm 30, have 2 kids, own a house and I own a handgun. It has never crossed my mind to bring it on the boat.
People who find it necessary carry guns must live in a fearfilled world.

Do you have pillows on the bathroom floor "just in case" you fall while getting out of the shower?
Old    wuneyewilly            03-11-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
Please, for your kids sake, and to not personally contribute towards the 101 reasons to ban guns...sell yours!

"Do you have pillows....." Are you seriously 30?

Do you wear a seat belt?

Lock your doors?

Eat right and exercise?

Tell your kids to look both ways before they cross the street?

Assuming you said 'uh huh'...what the hell for? Has a selt belt saved your life? Been a victim of burglary? Had heart attacks? Kids been ran over?

I probably shouldnt even have responded to your asinine rebutal.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Well Mcfatty as I stated before, I have prevented my own carjacking. Carrying a gun is like carrying a spare or tools, a tool that you hope you never need to use, but have it if necessary. I live in reality, I am a consultant who travels to all parts of town, good and bad. CHL people are the last people in Texas as a whole that will brandish a weapon or heighten the situation, we will walk away at all costs, just not worth the effort.

I don't brawl or fight anymore, not worth my time or injury. In Texas it is not wise to walk up and start assaulting anyone to the head or chest, because that qualifies as a "deadly assault" and two people that I know of have responded with deadly force and were no billed by the grand jury. So Mcfatty that is the Texas legislature's defintition of when to respond with deadly force. Very friendly state when 230K people carry guns.

I find it very striking that most of the people that carry were pretty polite about stating the reasons of why we carry. Most of the people who don't carry were just curious. A few still basically accused the CHL crowd of being paranoid. Just because I choose a different line of thinking and reality than another's opinion is not free license to take pot shot's. Then again why should I paranoid, I carry a gun. I am siging out on this one, like Justin said, the argument is vain.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-11-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
[Question for those who carry guns.

What is your idea of self defense? Shooting some one who's kicking your ass cause they wouldn't put up with your gun-toting attitude.

It seems people who would carry guns are less tolerable to everyday situations.
Instead of dismissing a conflict with words or a hand gesture and moving on, you might push it farther thinking that "I have a gun, what's he going to do"? ]

I can't speak for all who carry but, you're 100% wrong in my case, actually, 150% wrong.

I was a fighter with a big mouth as a kid, I looked for trouble.. nothing ever on record or i wouldn't have got my permit.
Anyway, the day I got my permit I was driving down 99 minding my own business when another driver cut me off.. even then my typical reaction would have been to flip the guy off and hope he can read lips. Instead, I thought to myself.. " I have a tool that can take this guys life, if I pull over this could escalate to him pulling out a tire iron, etc.. and the result would end in a shooting". Instead, I shrugged it off and continued on my way. As silly as it sound, carrying a firearm totally changed my way of thinking. I stay far away from trouble and avoid even 'iffy' situations for fear of having to use my firearm.. this has worked for almost 15 years.
Think about the consequence to taking someones life.
Will you be able to live with yourself? I don't care how much of a man a person thinks he is, taking someones life will most certainly lead to therapy.

It would be a HUGE financial drain. Sure, you'll most likely get off with 'justifiable homocide' but you have legal fees.. because you're not charged with a crime doesn't mean you're not going to be dragged through a civil trial and forced to give up everything you've worked for.

You're going to lose friends and maybe even driven out of your community by being tagged a murderer.

How will it affect your job?

What about retaliation?

The lost goes on.

The "I have a gun.. what's he going to do?" doesn't ring true with the 30 or so people I know who carry. Matter of fact, the Sheriff himself told me that in all his years of being with the department, he's never had to remove a permit due to 'dirty harry' type holders.
It just doesn't happen that way.

What is a 'gun toting attitude'? Do you know anyone who has a permit? Or, are you just assuming that anyone who packs is a vigilante.

I think most permit holders take this *very* seriously and are far more aware and fearful of the consequence of legally taking someone's life than those who do not carry. It is not cool, it's not fun and it's not a joke. The responsibility and character of those who carry is far greater than you're giving credit to.

B-

Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-11-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
Here is another side to look at. I have been in law enforcement since I was 22 years old. So I have pretty much been able to cary a gun since I have been old enough to buy one.

In that time I have never filed charges on any person who had taken the legal steps to carry a concealed weapon. Yet I have arrested numerous people for carrying a concealed weapon.

Almost every one of them had a criminal record and was believed to have gang affiliations. (PC way to say bangers)

Furthermore, unless I am going out drinking I probably have a gun with me somewhere (so swass if you ever catch up with me on the lake just assume I have one). I have never pulled a gun out on someone when off duty. I know many of our guys who have and every one of those occasions involved some one else in danger.

Sorry, there is my rant. Feel free to go on with your day.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
barry said it all
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
If anyone in this entire board can give me a situation they have been in where they would have needed a gun on their wakeboat...I will be very impressed and humbled. Guns are not the answer to any problems, they only make it worse. Even if you are being "boatjacked" what is the point of shooting at someone? Are they going to have a trailer waiting at the launch to take your boat away? If someone has the balls to "boatjack" you arent they going to have a gun too? I can see carrying a gun on the ocean or on a long trip...maybe...but dont be stupid. Its not worth killing someone to keep your boat...buy some insurance and keep your life.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
ryan wouldn't it be nice to be in control in the situation instead of the criminal, just because you surrender your posessions does not mean that they will not harm you. Get a clue, it's cheap.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
you are an idiot shane. you get a clue..why would someone harm you if they were "boatjacking you". For fun? No, by surrendering you just made it easier for them to jack you and they are less likely to become violent. Surrendering your possessions is not stupid, its hard to do, but smart. Guns may be cheap (which they shouldnt be) but i dont feel the need to possess one at any time...too much responsibility, and from the level of intelligence that you demonstrated in your post i would say that you are not ready for a gun either. Don't shoot yourself
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       03-12-2004, 12:51 AM Reply   
Level of intelligence? You just called someone an idiot on a messageboard...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
Ryan, when people respond with insults, I usually try and avoid responding because the poster displays an immense lack of maturity, and debate skills. I am glad you have master insight into the criminal mind. How about reading this link and tell me if things turned out for this victim by surrendering, http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030404dntexexecute.4fc79c1f.html
I was in the same establishment when the guy left, the incident happened right up the street, and he didn't resist, end result, dead with 10 shots to the head, and yeah it was for fun. Please don't force me to post a million more links to the same effect. If you read my posts carefully you can see that I do not carry a gun when wakeboarding, I was referencing other parts of my daily life.

I am also delighted you have a deep understanding of the free market, and have determined that guns should cost more. Any idea on how much more? Should firearms cost more so poor people can't afford them for self-defense? Should only the wealthy have firearms? That is what I am gleaning from your observation. A very elitist attitude. What other rights should be reserved for the wealthy?

Having lived through several doses of reality that I do not wish on most people, I can only hope that you aware of reality and you surroundings. The naiveté you have displayed is astounding, it's almost like you do not read or listen to any type of news medium. It's great to live in utopia, I only wish I could live in the same place as you, unfortunately I am grounded solidly in reality. I truly hope you only encounter "kind" criminals in your journey.
Old    swass            03-12-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
I'll keep that in mind, Mark!
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-12-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
Barry well said. I hope all weapon carring people are aware as you are of the consequences.

Shane, what kinds of doses of reality are you talking about?
It sounds like you have a very grim outlook on people in general. Everybody's out to get me!

Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-12-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
Willy,

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-12-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
WOW i didnt know this many Texas riders carried guns on their boats or were this passionite about it..it will make me think twice about yelling at them for F'N up my water and stealing my line next time :-)

i dont see the point of having it on the boat but in this day and age have a CW leaglly for protection isnt a bad idea for a responsible adult who has the right temperment and a good head on their shoulders.

I vote keep them off the boat for the everyday riding trip but if your going on a long trip out of town or camping somewhere and will feel safer for you and your family to bring it then thats your right under the current laws.Now a Police officer or trained person in a field that require them to normally carry a gun then i can see them carring it along with them on the boat .However i wouldnt allow it on my boat because i would be a little uncomfortable having it there where it could accidentally go off or get in the wrong hands IE kids,drunk curious boarder or whatever..

Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Doses of reality for $100 mcfatty, almost drowned in college, boat filling with water (no bilge) at night 4' chop, 40 mph winds. lost in the wilderness 8 yrs old in Alaska for about 8 hours. Snowmachine broke down 5 miles from anywhere, night and -20. These are just a few examples of events that I only had myself to rely upon, no one else was there to help or bail me out. I don't feel as though everyone's out to get me, but we live in a violent world, and chance favors the prepared.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
how does being lost in the wilderness at 8 years old support your argument for carrying a gun in the boat?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
nothing at all, someone was questioning what doses of reality i had faced, which goes to my position that you really have no one to count on but yourself. As I said, I do not carry a gun in my wakeboard.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
Shane-

I know I am going to offend you. I think the question into the doeses of reality you experienced were inquiring more about violent situations where you were attacked.

To be honest, just looking at your examples you gave show that your ignorance by putting yourself in those dangerous situations. I realize I don't know the whole story. But unless someone abandoned you, you got yourself lost in the wilderness in Alaska. What are you doing out in the water when the winds are 40 mph, in a boat without proper equipment, conditions unsuitable for boating and at night...by yourself? I assume you are talking about a snowplow? Once again did you absolutely need to be out there with an improper working snowplow or driving in conditions you weren't prepared for.

I am sure you learned a lot from these experiences but don't forget that all of this could have been prevented by proper planning.

The link you posted requires me to sign up and I get enough spam so I don't know the details. But as a police officer I can honestly tell you random crime rarely happens. There is always a motive and a reason when someone gets hurt. The numerous murders and shootings you hear about in the news don't happen to random people. However there are some situations where innocent people get hurt. But don't think that just because Los Angeles had over a 650 murders last year that you are going to be killed when you drive through the city.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-12-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
And in all of those situations a gun helped you though it? Common sense would keep you out of half of the stuff you listed, like out on a snowmobile 5 miles from anywhere w/-20 temps.

If someone punching you in the face is life threating to you, you're a danger to your community.

You're link proves nothing. There will be more media exposure when somebody is killed. I would bet 99% of robberies don't involve violence.

Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-12-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
I started typing my message an hour ago (damn work) so I didn't mean to have commented on some things already said.