Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old    star_star            07-21-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
i am 54 and ride really hard on the weekends. come monday i am not worth 50 cents. i am allergic to our lake water but besides that i am really washed out and lethargic on mondays. it has nothing to do with my life-style. i do not drink or stay up late. wakeboarding just takes it out of me unlike anything else i have ever done (and i have always been highly active). does anyone else experience this phenomenon? what do you do to counter it? is there any special diet that will replenish my energy? i eat very healthily and try to stay hydrated. thanks for any input.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
if you can ride more during the week then you will be less sore come monday after a hard weekend. even if its just one day. your body probably takes all week to recover only to be beat to hell again come saturday.

RIDE MORE!!! its the answer to all your problems...hahaha
Old    star_star            07-21-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
thanks, i would ride every day if i could. as a matter of fact it is only when i am riding that i don't feel tired or beat. it is when i stop riding that i feel washed out. it isn't the physical whipping i take but rather it is in my head. i get sleepy and have zero energy and enthusiasm for the things that i need to get done. i play volleyball at the ymca on monday and i am never any good on monday. i was just wondering if it is me pushing too hard for my age or if wakeboarding aggressively takes it out of most riders. thanks for responding.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Take Mondays off.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-21-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
quit work
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Use the feeling to remember how much fun you had on the weekend.

Workout during the week, especially core.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
those symptoms are called withdraws...i like chris's idea or taking mondays off.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-21-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Star Star, I feel your pain... I go hard on the weekends and cannot get out on weekdays as I don't have any lakes or rivers close by.

I have a routine now to re-hydrate of just pounding water Sunday evenings, leave a tall glass next to bed, and pound a couple more Monday morning. I've found it helps a ton to just hydrate the crap out of your muscles... downside is you have to stay within about 100 feet of a bathroom at all times. :-)
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have hockey on Monday nights, and is very difficult following the weekends I wakeboard. I only get to ride every other weekend at most, so I'm hurting all over come Monday. I actually feel better after the game though, since all my sore muscles tend to loosen up. BTW, i'm 30. I just pray i'm still riding at 54.

I agree with the above comments, the only solution I seem to know of is more riding. I can be in the best shape of my life(non wakeboarding), get behind the boat, and still hurt for the next 3 days.
Old    star_star            07-21-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
ok, that does it. i'm going riding right now. thanks guys.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
HGH.......it's the fountain of youth!
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-21-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
I'm behind you by a couple of years (yeah 2) and I noted this year that is takes me 3-4 days to work out the bruises, stains, etc. Not riding during the week much, but when I did I didnt have these issues. I'd say the rehydration is important, also.
I do have to say, I'm still progressing...learned the crow this year, and gonna get that TS BR next (4th invert)
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
It's called old age Star Star!

At 53 i have the same problems and solved most of it by working out (at keeping the gut down!) on my Bowflex 4-5 days a week and taking vitamin suppliments. The problem is your metabolism is slowing and your muscles are diminishing (no bull!) and it just plain takes more work to keep up is all. I had the same problem hit me at 51, went from 180lbs to to 210 in six months! No habits changed at all, just the metab slowing and such.

The truth is we just gotta work harder to keep up with the young guys! I have four grandsons and they work me to death it feels like!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
the old dudes holdin it down!!! i hope i can still walk when i'm 35...let alone ride when i'm 50...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Sounds like depression! Happens to me every monday too!

Stay active and train during the week.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
make sure your eating enough and 8-10 hours sleep.

i eat something every couple of hours and get relly good sleep.....no alcohol...little coffee.at the higher ages your room for error is low....you have to do everything just right.

ride jump and everything but let the water move you you dont have to lean like crazy to get out to the side and or pull like a maniac. you can do all the same stuff just ride mellower, it wont take so much out of you.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Salutations to you all who ride in your 50's.
I hope I can still ride when I am that age.

Working out at least 3 or 4 times a week during my lunch hour works for me, I ride hard on the weekends, come Monday I am all good!

Good luck!
JM
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
sounds like someone has got a case of the mondays haha
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-22-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
STRETCH! Lots of stretching before and after riding...
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
Star Star,

You ride harder than I do but I don't think you are pushing it too hard.
Sounds to me like you still got plenty of that old "Swagger" left!

I ride with 7 or so twenty and thirty year olds and I ride harder and longer than any of them, but I have a regimented work out routine and they don't. They are not actually in great shape they are just mostly young. I am more careful about what I eat and don't eat and it sounds like you do too.

I was feeling a little washed out a few years back, saw the Doc, told him the deal, he hooked me up with some good B-12, Multi Vs and some stretching exercises,.. and basically told me the same thing that Razzman said, that was the ticket for me.

Again, "Word" to what Razz the Man said.
I believe it to be the gospel truth.

We can still roll after 50 but we have to do it a little smarter not harder, you know what to do.

I found that for me, going through a good stretch out before and after I ride also helped a little all the way around. At our age I think we need to warm it up good before and after we do some serious cooking but once warmed up we are as good to go as anybody.

The younger riders should actually do some of the same things but because of their "immortal youth" they just don't feel it yet,... but they will.
The better they take care of themselves now the longer and better they can ride later.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-22-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
we started drinking mona vie i made fun of my wife she started with the company but the stuff works! all of my aches and pain gone

(Message edited by chris_schweda on July 22, 2009)