Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-21-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
I'd like to hear some stories about how you've broken your boards (behind the boat). What were you doing, how much did you weigh, and what board were you on? I have been riding for about 10 years now. For the most part I have weighed around 165-170lbs. I have owned an Obrien evil twin, Liquid force trip, Hyperlite Byerly, Hyperlite Premier and currently ride a Company Recruit. I have never broken a board and can't wrap my head around how it can happen without injury unless your on the heavier side....
Old     (bobbysky)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-21-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
I weigh around 190-195 and in the last 4 years I've probably broken 5 boards. Most the time it was a little tail heavy landing. But I'm pretty positive the design of the Ronix baseless bindings is the root cause. They put points of stress on the board and every single board I broke was in the exact same spot and in line with the stress point. Now that I've switched the the hyperlight systems i've gone last year and this year with out breaking my Marek board.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
I have broken two boards. The first one was an 07 slingshot. I did hit a lot of rails with it so im not sure how much that played a roll in it but it ended up breaking right in the middle. I want to say it happened while behind the boat but i can not remember. I then got an 08 slingshot and it broke right under my right foot.
I also broke some D2 bindings at the cable park. The bolts just sheared right out of the foot mount. I have also seen a friend of mine do this on lake bryan doing a huge back 1.

I also have some stories of some friends who have broke some stuff. A friend of mine had an 08 slingshot and it broke right across the boots. I think that was on an indy glide. Then another one of my friends had a brand new slingshot and he took the biggest scarecrow to back edge i have ever seen. He came up with only one foot in the binding. The other binding was still on his foot. He ripped the whole fast track right out of the board.

I know these are all slingshot stories but that is all me and my friends ride. By the way all of the problems were warranted by slingshot.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-21-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
In 2007 I broke 2 Liquid Force Shane 136's. Always been a favorite board of mine so never really rode much else other than an attemp at the Lyman. First one broke on a raley and I honestly thought I just landed wrong. Board still looked solid on my feet so I had the boat pull me back up and when I stood up the back half of the board just drug through the water and I fell again. We were on vacation and it took about 4 of us to finish the board off against a rock and actually seperate the 2 halfs. Those boards were hard to break. The other was broken after riding rails and boat for a full season. I just broke an 08 Shane 140 as well, didn't really snap the board just ripped out an insert and snapped the plate of my binding. The sport was a lot funner when I got discounts on product haha. I weigh about 150-160 depending on beer and time of year
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-21-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
Upgraded to the new Shane 138 and have only ridden it on rails/cable so far and I swear this thing is the most durable board I've had. Not a single chunk taken out and the grind base is awesome.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-21-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
you don't have to be heavy to break a board, a buddy of mine weighs like 140 rides like a 135 board and breaks about 1 a year sometimes more depending on how much he rides that year. but he takes EVERYTHING in the flats. i honestly don't think i've seen him ever land anything on the wake. comin from that high up and landing on fast water, sooner or later you are going to break one. lyman breaks em all the time, or used to...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-21-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
We have a dude in our riding crew up here ( Ironjay) he'll probably weigh in on this- but I am pretty sure his AVERAGE board breakage per season pushes 5-6 boards! He is an animal and now that he owns a new G23- I feel sorry for anything he straps on his feet!
He's a great rider though and takes everything way up and way out- fun to watch!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-21-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
^^^just wait until he throws those 7 fatsacs in that beast lol
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
I dare anybody to break a board built by integrity. Those things are crazy strong.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-21-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Broke 2 Ronix Covins - 1 doing an indy glide into the flats, the other doing a nose poke 180 into the flats. As soon as the board smacked the water on both jumps, it just snapped. Both off of my SAN210 wake. im 5'9 160lbs - broke my 138 & my buddies 141(or140). Break was in the same spot on both = between the bindings closer to the rear foot.
Attached Images

Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
^^^^ damn! That's a serious snap
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
What year were those covin's? I have an 08. Haven't ridden it that much though. My new board is the 2012 one and I'm hoping it doesn't break for awhile but have read such good things about ronix replacing them if it happens. Did they replace any of your covins?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-21-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
I break about 5 or 6 boards a year on average. I normally try to have 3-4 boards in stock for backups. Not really sure what causes it. I'm about 200 pounds, and am not that graceful with my landings, I guess. I have not found a brand that does not break.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-21-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have caught my edge so hard on a wake to face plant that it ripped the mounts from the board and bent the base plate of my boot. didn't slip out of my boot (foot was still in it) and the wreck didn't hurt that much and everything was warrantied
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-21-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Not sure what year exactly - but these were the last year Covin Decks - the following year they became the Viva. Yes they replaced them the very next day by Ronix- unfortunately they had to send me the Viva's since they no longer made the Covins- which sucked for me since the Viva's were nothing like the Covins. Thus I ended up with 2 Vivas sitting gethering dust in my garage & I jumpped back on my old LF Trip.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-21-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
Oh yeah it was an 2007 O'Brien natural 139 with 2008 Watson bindings
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
Just checked, those must be 08 covins. That is the last year they made em. Hmm that board is FAST thats for sure. I love my new - one - though. Guess I'll keep it for my guest board. Glad to hear ronix helped you out though.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
I ripped the inserts out of my Hyperlite Roam. Cut out hard to do a powerslide on the whip, but we had a new guy driving the boat so he swung the boat around much faster and tighter than I was used to. I'm not sure what happened but the board slid out and I went down. I was under the water and I could feel my right foot dangling free and thought "I just broke something.....leg or board....." luckily it was the board, I ripped both inserts straight out on my right foot.
Hyperlite (Corey, if I remember correctly) were excellent. Sent me a new Roam which I still use on rails to this day.
So props to good customer service. Thanks Hyperlite.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-21-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
i am 42 been riding 12 yrs, im 5'8 165 or so and broke many boards. I havent bropke too many tradtional boards but have broken a few Bad Ass boards back in teh day , then a series of CWB Platinums like 6 in the first year of riding like one every 8 months like clock work , the 7th i never rode as they stopped making them and the warrnaty would have been up so i am saving it :P

I then switched to LF S$ back in 2009 and rode it nrearly 3 yrs and never broke it..been riding it on sliders afew times of late still will not break..however i swicthed too a HL Bside rode it 3 times and wouldnt you know i broke it..

Most all the breaks were on inverts usually abig ole crow in the flats and broke behind the back foot area under the binding... I got anew one under warrnaty and will be taking it out for its 3rd runs this weekend, hope it holds up "P

but yes wrap your head around it, non professional like me who arent that good or go that big can break boards, it happens :P
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-21-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
i am 42 been riding 12 yrs, im 5'8 165 or so and broke many boards. I havent bropke too many tradtional boards but have broken a few Bad Ass boards back in teh day , then a series of CWB Platinums like 6 in the first year of riding like one every 8 months like clock work , the 7th i never rode as they stopped making them and the warrnaty would have been up so i am saving it :P

I then switched to LF S$ back in 2009 and rode it nrearly 3 yrs and never broke it..been riding it on sliders afew times of late still will not break..however i swicthed too a HL Bside rode it 3 times and wouldnt you know i broke it..

Most all the breaks were on inverts usually abig ole crow in the flats and broke behind the back foot area under the binding... I got anew one under warrnaty and will be taking it out for its 3rd runs this weekend, hope it holds up "P

but yes wrap your head around it, non professional like me who arent that good or go that big can break boards, it happens :P

Good to know. I guess I am just lucky. You've got to feel like a boss though the first time it happens from going big.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       06-21-2012, 4:40 PM Reply   
I broke my 08 Hyperlite sub VI. I have no idea how I did it though. The break isn't like the ones you normally see...it broke length-wise starting at the nose of the board, but only the top part. The bottom laminate didn't break. I'm in the process of getting a warranty board from Hyperlite. Sounds like I am getting a Marek Nova!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-21-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
spencer some of them sound like a gun shot when they break.. it is cool and dissapointing at the same time "P
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-21-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
If I kept all the boards I've broken over the last 20 years I've been riding and stacked them, they would probably reach the top of a 2 story house
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-21-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
Well I broke a cheap board when I first started riding 5 or 6 years ago... But this year I have broke two Hyperlite Bside...had both less then a month before I broke them....I am now waiting on replacement board number two...I am 6 2" 225 and I land most stuff in flats guess I need to lose some weight Ha.... .However the Bside is the best riding board I have ever ridden... I LOVE how it rides.....so I will keep riding it hoping it doesnt break again...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
I break about 5 or 6 boards a year on average. I normally try to have 3-4 boards in stock for backups. Not really sure what causes it. I'm about 200 pounds, and am not that graceful with my landings, I guess. I have not found a brand that does not break.
what about the stuff made by erich at integrity (Phalanx and mutiny)? maybe too new to tell, especially with mutiny.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
what about the stuff made by erich at integrity (Phalanx and mutiny)? maybe too new to tell, especially with mutiny.
Me, never broken a board ever. only riding 20-30 times a year aint gona do it i guess
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-21-2012, 10:56 PM Reply   
i hardly ever break them... i have broken about 5 in the 9 years i have been riding. usually happens when i catch a reallly hard edge and i split the board open on the edge, but this is usually after around 30 or 40 sets. i have broken two down them middle from landing in the trough really hard and flat.. that it though.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-21-2012, 10:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
Randall said he has not broken a board since he started riding integrity made product, meaning company or mutiny. Before that he was breaking 2-3 a month. If that guy can't break one, I'm not sure it can be done.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2012, 5:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
Randall said he has not broken a board since he started riding integrity made product, meaning company or mutiny. Before that he was breaking 2-3 a month. If that guy can't break one, I'm not sure it can be done.
same deal with Ricky. He has been on the same CW, still going strong....
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-22-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Jay, what are you riding these days? I am still on the Natural but thinking about a bigger board- 144 versus 139 now. I want to get a set behing that new beast of yours sometime this summer too!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-22-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
All boards can break. Over the years I have broken a board from about every manufacturer. In the early 2000s, I was easily breaking a board a month (or more). I have probably destroyed at least 50+ boards. That said, it is much more rare for me to break a board today. All manufactures are just building better boards.

Every one of mine, with the exception of pulled inserts and a few odd-balls, were breaks directly between boots. The board breaks upward against the rocker-line. Some of it is manufacturing, but most of it is the nature of my riding. I land extremely flat. I like to land "bolts" and not on edge because I find it more forgiving. It is hurts my body less, but obviously the board more.

I have never been injured from a board breaking. In fact, most of the time I ride away. My boards break on good landings rarely on bad ones.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
I broke the tail off of an 08 Lyman after about one season.. I believe it was just landing in the flats. I've been riding a '10 Lyman for about a season and a half and it's taken a beating but seems much stronger than the 08. Oh yeah I'm about 5'4" (short), 180 (stocky).

To weigh in on the integrity boards. I've seen a Phalanx break after a few very hard rail sets on the 2.0 with it. As far as boat if Vandal isn't breaking them that says a lot!
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention also that I talked to Lyman at the Raleigh boat show in January and he mentioned that he was breaking about 3-4 Shane boards a month before he moved to his pro model with Liquid Force.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
To weigh in on the integrity boards. I've seen a Phalanx break after a few very hard rail sets on the 2.0 with it. As far as boat if Vandal isn't breaking them that says a lot![/QUOTE]

if you are referring to the board i think that you are, that board was ridden every day for almost a year at OWC by Ian Smith, before it was passed along. last i heard it had split open after catching the nose on the seams of a rail during a wicked nose press.... you can actually repair the PRK boards like a snowboard, just epoxy it and go. but just to be clear, there were a lot more than a few sets on that particular board. sorry if that sounds a little defensive, i definitely dont mean to come off that way, but i know that particular board has seen some serious shredding in the last year plus.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
I have broke hundreds of boards over the last 15 years. Of course I am 6'3" 300 lbs and been doing inverts for most of those years. I have had ever kind of regular, custom, carbon, flex, you name it. Every brand as well. I still break 4-6 a year, but I am a pretty agressive rider and weigh twice that of the average rider. I will say the new version of the HL Marek has already lasted 2 months with no signs of breaking. I am really impressed with this board. Seems super strong, but still plenty snappy.

I have part of R & D for most of the company's over the years and can assure you there is no such thing as an unbreakable board, period!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-22-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
150 lb guy here. I've broken two of the four boards I've owned. Both were Slingshots that I bashed daily on cable and/or boat.

My 2010 Recoil split just inside of the binding. It was pretty similar to Miguel's pic above. I don't remember it happening on any particular hit or crash. It just spread over time and I didn't even notice until my buddy pointed it out to me. I got a 2012 Recoil to replace it. About a week and a half ago, I took a hard back edge on a heel 7 attempt off the kicker at the cable and one of the boots ripped out of the fast track. My shop was surprised to see such a failure because Slingshot had beefed up the fast track for 2012 after a rash of failures on the 2011 models.

Despite the break, I was very impressed with the durability of my 2012 Recoil. Just by holding it and looking at the way the urethane edge was poured into the board, I could see that it was much better made than the 2010. The grind base held up to daily cable bashing incredibly well. I'd recommend the board to anyone. Hopefully Slingshot will make the fast track even stronger in the future.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Joe, did that board make it up here to NC? Cause if so my mistake I thought that was a new one. But regardless that is pretty sweet about repairing the boards I wasn't aware of that.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwboarder View Post
Joe, did that board make it up here to NC? Cause if so my mistake I thought that was a new one. But regardless that is pretty sweet about repairing the boards I wasn't aware of that.
No worries man! yeah, i brought it to the first Slider Series at ECWP, and left it there for a bit for Chris to shred. i know he puts hard time in on the 2.0, so it was a really good opportunity to test out the overall durability of the board. i grabbed it from Ian after his knee injury, so it had some wear on it when i got it, but i wanted to get a PRK board out there for people to see. We are changing the tip/tail on the new production ones so they wont catch when you get way up on the nose when pressing. I cant wait to get my new one
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
I haven't broken one yet to know... How do most manufacturers treat broken boards? Is it purely "rider beware"? Or do the manufacturers tend to send replacement boards?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
orange while under warrnaty they do warranty them IF there are no signs of abuse or sliders etc.. if they just broke during normal riding they do replace them. If you got them froma lgit shop it can be pretty quick if they have your board in stock and get an RA number from the manufacturer .. so they can basically get approval via email and just hand you a new one.. if you bought it from an online shop or a shop with little stock it could take a while..
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
orange while under warrnaty they do warranty them IF there are no signs of abuse or sliders etc.. if they just broke during normal riding they do replace them. If you got them froma lgit shop it can be pretty quick if they have your board in stock and get an RA number from the manufacturer .. so they can basically get approval via email and just hand you a new one.. if you bought it from an online shop or a shop with little stock it could take ay while..
What's the warranty period on boards and does it differ much between manufacturers?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-22-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Having a good relationship with a local board shop can help you get away with a lot in terms of warranty claims. That's one reason why I always advise against buying boards online.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
Cool deal Joe! And yes Chris puts in hard time on the 2.0 to say the least! Dude kills it everyday!
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-27-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
I'm averaging 2 broke boards a year for the past five years. Five roams, four lf presses, 1 premier, one hl byerly with the gay lil cutouts. All but 2 of the roams are due to rails and winching. The rails of the roams have proven to b somewhat delicate. The presses come apart top sheet from bottom. The premier cracked down the middle and got all water logged. The byerly cutouts caught on stuff all the time and eventualy broke off. Then I've broken two roams wake2wake cause the binding inserts pulled out. They are actualy still rideable if you don't mind the narrow offset stance. My short buddy has been using one on rails lately. It's funny cause the roam is almost as long as he is tall at 145cm! Then I have two friends that have each broken presses. I realy wanted to get a phalanx prk but needed a board that week and I would have had to wait a couple weeks on the phalanx, soooo I just picked up a ss shredtown. It doesn't flex as much as I would like and the bevelled edges are insanely loose. I like ridding finless at ALL times even w2w so after all the roams and presses I thought a board couldn't be any looser but this shredtown is rediculous. It's so hard to use the profile of the board to edge cause of the bevell. It does slide on rails faster than any other board I've ridden. I just wish I had gone w the response.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-27-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
I never thought I'd break one as I am pretty light at 155. Turns out that is not the case. A couple years back I broke two CWBs, a Faction and a Transcend. The Transcend had only been ridden a dozen times. Both on the same trick, front roll into the flats. You come down strong enough on one of your feet and they pop like a twig. Any board will do it.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-27-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
Alright guys high fives all around. I just broke my Company Recruit. I really thought it would be a lot cooler. I'm not even sure how it broke. Its a partial break on the heel side edge behind my front foot. Nice crease in the board. I'm pretty bummed. I really want another one. This board has been my favorite so far. Does anyone have one they would be willing to sell at a decent price?