Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    codsmack            07-10-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
Okay Peoples here we go!!! We have a 205Prostar (98) about an 8' zeroflex tower and capable of an extra 1400lbs of water on top of the people that goes with us. Wake and accessories isnt the problem. I ride a 03 Byerly 137 with the fins off. I cant jump over half the wake properly. I ve tried all edges and everyway a person can leave the wake. I ve tried all different wakes and speeds. In order for me to stay in proper position Im not going far at at all, like 6-7 across maybe. However I can get like 5-6 height. But heres where it gets good. If I lay an all out balls to the wall edge I can land a backflip on accident. If I go in hard to get good hieght and speed I always go into backflip postion. That is if I push off the wake with good boost. What am I missing. I ve watched more videos than Siskel and ebert (however you spell that) its no help. There has to be something to me that is wrong. Oh yeah Im 6'2" about 225, kinda big for a board I know but I AM GONNA DO THIS!!!! Please help this dumbass watersmashing countryboy out........
Old    cryft            07-10-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
I'm right there with you, same problem just without the gear... I never land my accidental backflips because the rotation stops halfway through and those accidental flip crashes hurt like a bitch. My neck is still sore from the last one 3 days ago. Someone help this guy out...

Oh, and you might wanna try shortening the rope, I haven't tried it yet because I can't get the ropes to come apart without plyers and I keep forgeting the plyers... but shortening the rope and slowing the boat down a little is supposed to get you used to jumping the wake then you're supposed to make it longer as you get better at it... good luck
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Try about 50 feet of rope and a boat speed 18-20 mph without a bunch of weight. Weight isn't really needed. Cut out about 10 feet on the side you'll be most comfortable and start to squat down. Keep the rope on your lead hip and begin tipping back against the rope like tipping back in a chair...heels dug in and toes pointing up if it's a HS jump. Stand up straight right as you leave the wake, and look at the horizon on the other side. Keep the rope on your hip. I think you are flipping becasue you are looking down at the water.

Eric
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
Michael, the answer to your question is in your post. Set the boat speed and rope length so that the wake is 6-7' across.

If you are having trouble gettting to the other wake you should do the following.

1) Start about 10 out as Eric mentioned.
2) Take a nice easy cut to the wake. Don't go too fast.
3) Edge progressively harder up to the wake.
4) Flatten out as you come up the wake and stand tall.
5) Finally use you arms to pull yourself across to the downside of the second wake.

A balls to the wall edge is not good for learning to W2W. The faster you go the smaller the time window you have on the launch. It's important to learn the proper technique and that's difficult to do if everything happens in a split instance.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 3:54 PM Reply   
David, you don't need to take the rope apart. Just place use one of the in-line loops over the pylon and let the short end of the rope hang down (or wrap it around the tower). We run at 75', 70', 65', and 60' by putting different loops on the pylon.
Old    tjgramlich            07-12-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
I had problems with my w2w jumps until i realized that its all about loading the line. You want the line tension to be greatest right as you hit the wake. If you edge and load the line correctly and dont let your knees absorb the wake, you'll be suprised how easy it will get for you.
Old    codsmack            07-12-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
Thanks alot guys for all your help, lord knows my soar body needs it.....
Old    cryft            07-12-2004, 10:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip Jeff, only problem is, I'm attached right to the back of the boat... I've got to use my father's fishing boat(don't laugh, it has huge wake) until I can get my own or talk him into letting me drill holls all over his boat, assuming I have the money for the pylon... but, you know, I bet I can rig something up based off of what you just told me, I'll play with it tomorrow... thanks again

Good luck with the cods and jumps, codsmack
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-13-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
Dave - If I'm reading you right I believe your using a "ski" rope. You may want to invest in a wakeboard specific rope. They are non-stretch. You will be surprised at the difference in the feel of the rope, especially if you ever go back and use a waterski rope after a wakeboard rope.
Old    cryft            07-13-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
Actually, I've got a wakeboard rope, but still use my old ski handle which adds about five feet of stretchy rope... On top of that, the rope I use to hook to the back of the boat is stretchy too... I'm planning on getting a handle but don't see the point if I can't find a non stretch version of the back-of-the-boat rope(gotta be called something, just don't know what.)
I wasn't sure whether or not 10 feet of stretchy rope would make a difference, guess so. I don't have a descent local board shop, at least not anywhere close so I kind of gave up on it.