Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
I may be moving to Utah soon and I'm wondering how the wakeboarding is on Willard Bay. We've got on offer down on a house that's about 2 miles away and I'm pumped to go riding in the evenings after work. Anyone ride there often? I have a friend that used to ride there and said it was great but I've also heard people say it sucks. What's the verdict?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-02-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
O you started something good! Anthony or Jed will be hitting you up soon. Try hitting up the Northern Utah thread.

I have been there once and the bug's almost stopped me from breathing! Not to say some of the best riding is here in Utah, we just keep it a secret!
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
I've heard about the bugs. Are they bad on the lake too or just on the shore? Are there so many that you can't board? Silly question -- you can ALWAYS board!
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-02-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
Like most lakes the weekends are really tough on Willard. Its very open and basically attached to the Great Salt Lake (which is why the bugs) so it doesn't have very many butter days, but like josh said we have quite a few hidden gems here in Utah. Two of them are within 40 minutes of Willard
Old     (eric_wake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2007, 10:34 PM Reply   
It always cracks me up when people are all secretive about the lakes they like to ride. As if Willard is just packed with people who are wishing and searching for a better lake to ride but just haven't figured it out yet. Ssssshhhhhhhh! You don't want to let the secret out. Bahahaha!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-05-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
The bugs can be a problem... nats, mosquitoes, and horse flies. In the spring and fall there can also be a lot of moss floating around but, thats when there are fewer bugs. There was a leak in the causeway and they drained a several feet of water to fix it. It's got a fairly flat bottom with a max depth of about 25ft. That gets drained down to as low as 5-6ft, some years.

When it's good it's really good but, there are plenty of other places as well.
Old     (boatutah)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
I live up in Ogden right by Willard and everybody's right, there are bugs. If you're there early and late in the season the bugs aren't all that bad. During the hot months there's plenty of other places. If you need to know a good pro shop I know of a great one in Layton, which would be the closest, everything else is in Salt Lake which is about 1 hr away from willard.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
Are the bugs a problem all over or mostly on the shore?

I'd heard about the leak in the dam. Does anyone know if it's going to be fixed soon. Will Willard be open and full enough for wakeboarding this summer?

I was hoping to be able to get out a couple of times a week in the evenings. If Willard's closed, how is Pineview on the weekday evenings? Is there anywhere else within about .5 hour?

Thanks for all the info. We're looking forward to the move up there! Well, actually we're looking forward to being up there -- I'm definitely NOT looking forward to the moving part
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-07-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
Don't let these posts scare you. Although Willard is not my usual lake, it is still good riding. The lake is basically round, with steep walls along three sides. The water is deep right up to those walls so, as long as the winds are less than about 10mph, you can usually find a wall to protect you from the wind and get good water.

I haven't heard about the leak in the dam. The past two seasons I have been out on Willard in late October and it was still within a couple feet of full. And butter!
Old     (boatutah)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-07-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
As of today the leak has not been fixed. Only heard rumors as to when it will be fixed, nothing official. I've heard that the lake will be at least half full this summer, I've even heard as high as 3/4 full. If the lake hits half full you'll be fine to ride on it. The bugs are everywhere from June - 1st of August ish, The lake is glass on weekday mornings, and like wwtfsmd said, you can ride right along the walls if there is a little wind.