Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-13-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
I have not worked out seriously in many years. I am currently 32 and in not so bueno shape. I am 5 10 and abotu 185. I am not fat but have seen some belly fat develop. My cardio is not so great and I would really like to get in shape.

I am mostly interested in developing great cardio and getting more cut. I just really don't know where to start. Lately, I have kind of gone in the gym and farted around because I don't have much of a clue as to what to do. When i was younger I used to lift weights and saw great results, but I also didn't have to worry about cardio due to my age.

Any thoughts on where to start would be appreciated.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-13-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
Two things I would suggest.
.1.P90x there is a great thread on here that has alot of good info about it and how well it works. I am 6ft/41 yrs old and started at 250# 60 days into P90x I am 225#. I have gone from a 40 waist to a 36 and can see changes in my arms and chest size as well. This program works everything incuding cardio and I think it would do just what your wanting.
2. If you dont think you can hang with P90x (you do have to be some what fit to start) I think swiming would be a great workout routine for what your looking for. Every other day for 30-45 minutes will lean you out like you wont believe.
3. I have also heard great things about cross-fit. I think I may try a round of this after P90x just to change it up a little.
Big thing is just start doing something it only gets harder when you get older..trust me on this one. Oh and of course you will need to look into you eating habbits. They are most likley going to have to change. Eating better is a big key and not as hard as you might think..again good luck!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-13-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
It may sound crazy but I think a good way to lead into p90x is yoga. Not boring sit around and stretch yoga, but something like more active ashtanga yoga. It's a serious workout and will also get your body loose and flexible and ready to push yourself with something like p90x. It will also gradually strengthen all of your connective tissue and stabilizing muscles so you don't hurt yourself by jumping right into a hard lifting program. I just finished a 40 day daily yoga program that built up to 90 minutes a day and I feel great. I gradually added in more and more biking and running (coming back from a knee surgery a year ago) towards the end as well as starting to lift harder again. I think the key is to find a fun and challenging class with a hot girl teaching it. Worked for me.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-13-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
One of the best mantras I used when my kids were little and I had nearly no time was "Anything you do is better than nothing." That makes what to do easy. Stairs instead of elevator, run somewhere in your neighborhood for the heck of it, even if you only have time to go around the block. Go to the gym & do something - treadmill for a while, weight exercises that you used to do, etc. Get on your rusty bicycle in the garage. Go for a walk with your girlfriend/wife. Just do something.

Too often, it's easy to not get off the couch because we think there has to be this whole "program" or something. Custom, detailed programs are great. But, they're not necessary to start building cardio, strengthen muscles and burning calories.

Momentum works both ways. Less activity makes it harder to get off the couch & do something. More activity makes you feel like finding more ways to work out more often - because you really are enjoying it. All you have to do is turn the momentum enough and it gets easier as you go.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-14-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
Have a couple of kids. They will run your azz ragged. Just keeping up will keep you in shape. The stress of all the new bills and responsibility will burn fat right off.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Start out slow. don't expect overnite sucess.

Definately sit down and set some goals. Something for you to shoot for. you'll stay more focused that way. If weight loss is your goal at first, set some weight loss goals. Part of continued sucess is mental. hitting goals every week will give you the sense of accomplishment.

If your still a member of a gym, spend the money and get a few sessions with a trainer. They will give you allthe tools you need after 2-5 sessions to conitnue on your own.

As most people will tell you, diet is key.....and it doesnt' have to be perfect, just be aware of what your actually eating/drinking. An easy way to cut instant calories , is eventually cut all fluids out of your diet except for water. Give yourself some "cheat" days.

As for exercise....like someone else said something is better than nothing.

dont' go overboard at first, limit your exercise to 30-45 min 3-5 times a week at first.

At first I think circuit trainig at the gym is a great way to start, keep the weight light ( think 10-15 reps)

do some mroe research online and look for way to change yo workout/cardio routine. Men's health, men's fitness have some really good workouts.

good luck!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-15-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
I'm a big believer of P90X, but it may be a little intense, discouraging, and unsafe to start with this. I'm a coach for P90X and also a retired fitness trainer.

I would think about a high level lifestyle change. Start paying attention to what you eat and drink, and eliminate any unnecessary calories. Juice, soda, anything with sugar. Big family dinners are often a problem too.

From a fitness standpoint, I would start light as suggested about. Incorporate some kind of physical activity every day. Bike ride, walk, light jog...something. Build up to more intense work outs. Be active every day.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend meeting with a good trainer to assess for imbalances prior to intense workouts. Most people have at least a couple.

The yoga idea is a good one, since yoga is mostly stabilization exercises and isometric contractions. Safe and effective. It would also expose any flexibility issues that would hinder your ability to move correctly.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-15-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
I used to be quite the gym rat before and just started getting bored with it so I started kickboxing. It was the best thing I ever did. 1 Hour classes go by really fast and I'm always a sweaty by the time it's over. Your not going to gain a lot of muscle but you will get a great cardio work out from it. The last bit here I have been doing both the beginner and advanced class which is 2 hours and I am completely done after....besides kicking and punching a bag or person is way more fun then doing 10 reps and stopping.
Old    SamIngram            11-15-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Find a Crossfit Gym! It's a little controversial, but everyone that I meet in the classes says the same thing, "It's awesome!".
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Get a bike and start riding it. I'm not sure what your situation is where you live, but it's really easy to mix in bike rides for doing errands and for a little stress relief at night. It'll be a great start for your cardio, and it's an easy start. Then mix in some strength training. I was a gym rat in college, but I'd prefer usuing your own body weight and bands for resistance. I think it allows your body to move more naturally. Push ups are great for your upper body. Mix in pull ups and chin-ups. You can use bands for curls and flys. It's really easy and quick to get a good workout in at home while your doing something lazy like watching TV.

Just as important as fitness is food choices. Try leaving a little something behind everytime you eat. You'll find that you're rarely as hungry as you think you are. Stuffing in those last couple bites is a easy way to pack on extra calories and fat.

Good luck. It's not that hard. Being a body builder is hard. Doing an Ironman is hard. Getting in shape and staying that way isn't. Just make it part of your routine.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-15-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
P90X will give you the absolute, no hold barred, biggest bang for your time spent; for everything. IMHO of course. Check out the other thread that many have posted in. However, know one thing on the front end. Know yourself. Can you put in at least an hour everyday? It will typically take you 1:15 to do most days, plus your cool down and clean up time. One day it'll be closer to 1:45. If you can commit this time, go for it. If you cannot, plan to go through it for a week or so and then pick and choose what you want to do. It seems many mix and match. Please be aware though, it takes 3-6 weeks to get used to the routines where you find out what you want (like) to do. Good Luck!
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-15-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Get a workout partner, being accountable to someone makes for a better success rate no matter what you choose..P90X, bootcamp, swimming, running...Good Luck!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-15-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
You guys have been talking about it for so long, I think this is the off season I finally just buy the damn P90X. Looks like a ton of fun (kinda like my fat ass)!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-16-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Also, if your a member of a gym , don't be afraid to ask some of the regulars for tips/advice. Find someone similar in age and build to you. Back in my mid 20's I used to workout with a guy in his late 40's that was in incredible shape...he had a wealth of knowledge, way more than your typical paid trainer.

the drawback, for beginners, to the P90 program is it's high intesity and high impact. Even for someon in realtively decent shape , it's a tough first couple of weeks on the program.

It's starting up on " that time of year". People begin making new years resoltuions people come out of the gates, guins blazin, most burn out quickly as their workouts are just too intense. Who really wants to be so sore for months that they have to use handicap stalls with hand rails just to take a dump, lol.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
I'm not a fitness guru and couldn't really begin to tell you where to start.
I can tell you this- you need to find something active that you really enjoy, not something you tell yourself you enjoy to stay motivated.. something you look forward to doing. Otherwise, you'll be in the same boat asking the same questions in the near future.
I was in your position a couple of years ago when a buddy started talking Racquetball out of the blue.. I used to teach and play competitive ball 20 years ago, so naturally he egged me into getting back into the court. I play 3-4 times a week for at least an hour, sometimes two and have been since rediscovering the game two year ago. The best part is when I'm finished I am completely wrecked and to me it's not burdensome .. I enjoy the game so much that the exercise I get is just an unintended consequence.