Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jtimms82)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-25-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help me get in the right direction with an assignment my teacher gave. So, we're handed this sheet with North/South America upside down, but the country/city labels indicate that this is how it should be.

The instructions are: Say what needs to be said about what I've given you. What's it saying?

I am supposed to write a page paper on it, but am lacking direction or any leads. There's no right answer, although I am lost on this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upload
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       01-25-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
What class is this for?
Old     (jtimms82)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-25-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
Writing. I'm guessing she is looking for something along the lines of how our perception of up and down are a result of how the maps were created from the beginning.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-25-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Google is your friend. Maybe that was the point of the homework

(Message edited by sinkoumn on January 25, 2010)
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-25-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
you are looking at a map sold in Australia?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-25-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
You can talk about the acceptance of the standard perspective by society, as there is really no "up" in terms of the universe. You can point out the symbolism displayed by the standard map orientation, placing the more developed northern countries above the generally less developed southern countries. You could write about the channeling of creativity into traditional channels.
Just some thoughts.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-25-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
talk about how the teacher should stop buying maps at Big Lots or Dollar General.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       01-26-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
I would say if its for writing class, you could write whatever you want. As long as you use proper structure, spelling, grammar and punctuation and have good flow, you'll get a good mark.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-26-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
You could talk about how most of the people in Central and South America consider North and South America to be one continent. In the US we typically consider there to be 7 continents but a lot of people in other countries only consider there to be 5.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
I would go with Andy, do something ridiculous, it makes writing a page more entertaining. Make it a commentary on when North and South America were growing up together, South America always wanted the top bunk bed and as luck would have it when they went to college they shared a dorm room and South demanded the top bunk. This also explains the fuzziness of North, he is too busy partying at college to shave, while South is getting lots of rest and looks fresh.

It's one of those things that there is no wrong answer so as long as you support your argument, you can be as retarded as you want. My favorite!
Old     (dcdave56)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-26-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Take the Dead Poet's Society route and talk about how you must, "constantly look at things from another perspective or point of view". Mr. Keating used the trick of standing on your desk to notice how different the room looked from that perspective... This is simple man, don't over-think it. It's an exercise in perception and norms.