Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-27-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
Well my rooom mate is some what new to the sport and has always asked me to go ride with him, help his progresion. last few times out I was referd to as a wake nazi. just cause I like a clean even wake when I or anyone else rides. How should I respond to that? I mean is that so bad should I just suck it up

Boat hoein aint easy
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Poke a hole in his tube
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Same here. The boat must be level, the direction of the boat arrow straight, etc, etc. When riding and I pull out and the boat gets pulled slightly, I instruct the driver to counter steer too. Life's too short to NOT have it your way...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
next time, tell him to have fun hittin that washed out crap he calls a wake. if he wants to progress, he needs to learn what a good wake looks like. and how to fix it if its not up to par. ridin w/ a rook...
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I am too! I guess I am a perfectionist....or at least I was accused of being one when I raced MX. My bikes always had to look good and everything tight....riding gear clean and new looking. With Wake.....I have a hard time finding people that can drive my boat at 20-22, and recognize when I have some wash, or want something else. My wife does OK out in big water, but gets nervous in a cove full of other boats.

I agree with Dave....do this right or don't do it....go back to knee boarding and tubing. We spend big money in most cases for boats, gear..etc. Make each ride sweet!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-27-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
NO WAKE FOR YOU!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-27-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Since you're whoring yourself, it's hard to be too harsh on the driver/owner about getting the wake just perfect. I would suggest you make the best of what he gives you. Then when it's your turn to drive, have everyone sit on one side of the boat (preferably his good side). Don't say a word about it afterward, but just continue to do this until he sees the light. I never thought much about it until it started affecting my ride, so hopefully he'll do the same.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   

quote:

NO WAKE FOR YOU!!

Upload

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
It's not even worth riding if the wake is crappy. I'd find some people that are as serious about riding as you are. I've been through those days and there isn't anything more annoying.

The longer you ride the better a crew you develop. There isn't anyone that I ride with now that doesn't deliver a perfect pull everytime.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-27-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   

quote:

When riding and I pull out and the boat gets pulled slightly, I instruct the driver to counter steer too.

I found that if the person counter steers too much,you are going to roll the wake right over on the rider,it's better if the driver doesn't do anything but try to go straight.You pulling the boat off corse is only for a second and the wake gets clean after you start to cut in.IMO
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
That's what I meant by counter-steering... just enough to keep a straight line path. The wake starts curling over if I put my fat butt out there...

Dave
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-27-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Buy a boat, then you can be the shot caller. Until then, relax and provide a nice tutorial, instead of making some half-witted-demand that earns you a label of Nazi.....
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
Oh, I'm a wake naziommunist! It's got to be right and NOTHING supercedes that.

Here's my embarassing recent story:

I went to the lake with my regular buddy/driver and brought along two lady friends. Neither was overweight but one happened to be fairly larger than the other. (One bone thin, the other taller and meatier.) So I go for my set and Bigger is sitting opposite my buddy with Smaller in the middle. No problem except that I forgot my fat sacks and I needed more weight in the back so I asked them to move behind the engine compartment. Well poo! Bigger sat on the driver's sie where my buddy was and Smaller sat on the other side which made my tow side wake bigger and wahed out my heelside wake. Dang! So I dropped the handle and asked them to switch. Needless to say I still have not heard the end of it from Bigger. BUT! I still maintain that I did what I had to do!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
OMG...and to think that I'm just stoked to get a pull no matter what size/shape. Hell, I'd go behind a fishing boat if it could get me up out of the water. What was I thinking?

BTW...I'm loving reading these postings.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Josh, you did the right thing. I'm so proud of you.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-27-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
With gas nearly $3.00 per gallon I'd rather not go or sit in a cove drinking beer than beat the crap out of myself in crappy water while burning 5-6 gallons per hour.

Josh... I've done the same thing.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
Hey, I suck and I'm a wake nazi. But it's more when I'm in the boat. I move people around like chess pieces to get the wake perfect for whoever's got the handle. As it turns out, when my turn rolls around, the people that were in the boat with me learn to recognize the things I see and everybody's moving around to accomodate the wake for me....such as when I've got a 100 lb. girl riding behind the boat, things change when she comes in and I toss my fat 190 lb. ass in the water. People learn to recognize these things and fix em for you.
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
That's normal for all of the people I ride with. You get so used to it you automatically move to make the wake even.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Josh, it's all about being PC. I'd have told them to slide over to the other side of the boat to try to balance out your fat friend driving. That way you'd be all good and have a much better shot of getting lucky when you get back in the boat. LOL....
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-27-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
I prefer the term 'wake connoisseur'.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
Josh - you did the right thing. But Evan's got it down. remember that in case 'bigger' ever comes out again.

having a good crew is so important when you're out there. one of our core members broke his foot earlier this year. since then, we've run over the rope (1st time, ever), i've pissed off several friends, the pulls have gone downhill (slowly, slowly recovering) and it takes no less than 10 minutes to change riders.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
My buddies thought i was jackass too for awhile then they started progressing and realized how important it is. Funny story though...I got one buddy who's wife is lets say big boned and I make her sit in the bow....Gotta weigh down the bow of the vlx right? well she ends up moving to the back right before one of my runs and my buddy (skinny guy) goes to the front. Well we get going and its taking like 10 minutes to plane. So I scream to them to switch, they switch and we plane within 10 seconds. None the less she has never returned to my boat never have had a better wake!
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
One of the things my wife does (she drives) is to adjust weight on the sly when she doesn't want to insult someone.

She will empty one of of the side tanks out a little to get some balance. Since our X-Star sprays out both sides, even when emptying just the left or right, no one is wiser, and she just says that I can't handle a big wake.

As for the bow thing, I put in a BF Integrated Bow sac, and it works great for keeping the front down, and making the wake less harsh.

Dave
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
Word Evan and others. I know it's important to be PC and believe me I'm not out to ruin anyone's day but there really was no way to handle this differently. They HAD to switch spots once they moved to the back. I simply said, "hey could you two switch spots." But since every girl is concerned with wake she immediately took it as a slight. Scooting over would have left Smaller with nothing to lean back against. The weight to the back of the boat was not something she had an issue with. It was when I asked them to switch spots. I'm good friends with Bigger and she wasn't especially offended but said that another girl would be. We had a long go at it, friendly like, that the wake really is more important than some girl's feelings. Of course a lot of it was in jest but afterwards I talked to my buddy and we agreed that as he didn't know them he should have been the one to tell them to switch spots. If I don't know the girls then I will ask them to switch.

Except with newbs I always make sure the wake is great for everyone else too. In all my years of boarding I've never run into this problem before. Usually, when there are about 5-6 peope, no one feels or is solely responsible for screwing up the wake.

They ought to due one of the "dudes around the table" beer commercials about this.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
I'm hella picky with the wake. It does have to be perfectly balanced, otherwise it isn't really worth riding.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-01-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
thanks for the help guess i will have to find a second back up boat to hoe on.
Committed
this is his second boat he just sold his mc.I don't think I am being a nazi about any thing.When anyone rides I even the wake. Idon't yell or get all pissed just when ever I hit the water I would wait until half my set is done then star asking ppl to move. it would bug me but the other day he cam home B---hin about the wake washing a little on one side and ppl wouldn't move to fix it.

Thats from somone that backs the truck to the bumper to load aboat. it is a cryn shame I'm always the one to pull the boat on the trailer with nothing to stop me but or line up but guied polls.
F-it I wuold rather ride behind an I/O than his 210/super sport