Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-07-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Alright guys I wanted to try to get about 6 people together for a SO CAL only trip. What this means is this

6am Surf Session
8am Skate Session
9 holes of golf
Afternoon Castaic trip
Night boarding at Mt High...

Only in so cal can we do all of these sports in 1 day and I thought we should do a WW trip. What do you all think?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-07-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
if I still surfed or skated, I would be down. oh yeah, I dont snowboard either. dammit! where were you ten years ago?
however, I could be down regardless. would be good to get together with some of the SoCal people, and I could get back into some of those old sports I used to do. let me know what happens.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
9 holes of golf in So Cal is gonna take you the rest of the day.....
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-07-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
id be down for a WW skate session and wakeboarding and i'd be happy to give golf a shot but i suck. Dont have a surfboard or snowboard so those are kinda out for me.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-07-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Only in SoCal ????? Upload
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-07-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
I have been wanting to do that since I moved here but have not gotten around to it.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-07-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
I'm too old, It would take me all week to get all that done......but I would do it up in style!!! Play 18 holes, maybe even hit the beach for some surf.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-07-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
rich, kinda hard, if not impossible, to do all that in one day in norcal.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-07-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
That is not impossible. You'd need some coordination, but doable. Not sure I'd want to, though. I am going to do Santa Cruz surf and Tahoe wake and snow one of these days. Just need the right day.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-07-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
well, daylight savings time starts this weekend, so that'll help.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-07-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
You're probably right Joe although Castaic to the beach isn't exactly around the block and I know those ski resorts down there are a ways away too.

No time for beer in that schedule though!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-07-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
1 hour from the closest "rideable" beach to castaic. about 35 mintues from castaic to mt high if you hit no traffic and drive 95 all the way. but gauranteed youll hit major traffic goin that way in the evening.so its really more like an hour and 15. i used to make it from thousand oaks to mt high in an hour back when i was in highschool. we would ditch school at about noon or 1 and bomb up there and ride all evening.
id say its just about as doable up here in norcal as it is in socal.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
You can do all but surf part in Bend OR. Had a group a few years ago that did the triple, snowboard, wakeboard & golf (18 holes) and we were wiped by the end of that day.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-07-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
done it.

early wake at elsinore.

midday/afternoon surf at salt creek.

night snow shredding at snow summit.

relatively easy actually.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-07-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
Is there any snow down there? I just noticed on the news that LA is 20% of normal rainfall. Tahoe actually got pretty decent with that last storm we had.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-07-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
i'd be down for the wakeboardin, cuz i live right across from the lake, but idk if my mom would let me go hahaha
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-07-2007, 10:42 PM Reply   
Dude, ever been to Utah?

Sundance Ski resort 15 minutes up the canyon, some resorts (Snowbird, Alta, Brighton) have been open till July 4th before. Utah lake is right down center street.

Alot of times we go snowmobiling Friday night and Saturday morning at the cabin then come down and take a ride on the lake. Also plenty of golf courses around if you wanted to. Or go rock climbing, Dirt bikes. 4x4 etc. Way more stuff, much closer here.

If only the winters weren't so fricken long here it would be paradise........That said the ice on the lake may be melting but it's still 12" thick.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-07-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
Oh, wait, when you said surf you meant in the ocean.....My bad.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-08-2007, 12:18 AM Reply   
yea rich, bear invested like 6 mil into their snow making equipment, coupled with a few feet of snow the last half of feb, they are sitting pretty. i cruise up twice a week or so and the park is sick as always.
But, mammoth is where it is at for sure. try to get up once a month, but, funds are limited as a student and gas kills, even if the couch i stay on is free!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-08-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
Golf???? Why not just take a nap?

We did it a few years back here. 1 day, Surf, Skate, Wake, Moto, and Snow....

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on March 08, 2007)
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-08-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
I was riding in Big Bear last weekend, they got plenty of snow to roll.
-You could surf at Salt Creek from 6-7:45am.
-You could play "9" at San Juan Cap course 8-10:30am.
-You could ride Elsi from 11:30-2pm
-You could skate at Elsi's skatepark from 2:15-3pm
-You could then drive up the hill for night riding at Mt. High or Big Bear.
-It's 100% doable too, based upon planning ahead and knowing the way. A Hummer limo is also in need as well. You would need to rest, eat, etc, between the stops. Then again, that's just me.....
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-08-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
Mammoth is the shizzz. Like skiing Colorado in Cali!Upload
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-08-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
^ I was right there last weekend. Good times.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-08-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
8 am is too early to skate.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Because skiing in Colorado is better how?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-08-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
yeah, i heard skiing in colorado was way overrated. i've never been, but friends from colorado said that.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-08-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
Top of Mammoth is like alot of the resorts in Colorado that I've skiied - much higher elevation on average then Tahoe and generally dryer air thus snow (again on average) stays in better shape. Not saying Tahoe can't be great, (Squaw has been awesome this last week) it's just at a disadvantage overall. You can ski the top at Mammoth late spring and the snow will still be pretty good while Tahoe will be mush.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
The man makes some good points--hard to argue there. The snow is definitely lighter in Colorado, although I like the terrain and scene in Tahoe better. I'm probably biased having grown up skiing there and working there for a bit, though.

Tahoe is a warm place in the spring, but at the same time, it's hard to argue on snowfall. Sugarbowl and Kirkwood average around 500in. a year whereas the major CO mountains do about 300-350. Plus, the tahoe snow builds character. If you can get gnar in the "sierra cement", then everything else is pretty easy.

But back to your so-cal thing, sounds like fun and I'd give it a go (except golf) if I were down there. Trying to do all that in a day is tiring, so I wouldn't want anything like golf to slow me down.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-12-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
colorado is flat, comparitively, to say, utah resorts, the hole, or even mammoth.

back on topic. on friday i snowboarded at bear in the morn, then had a great afternoon surf at salt creek.

only in so cal.

oh, and the next day i rode behind our new x30. livin the dream. i never want to leave college.