Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Does anyone use bindings other than O'brien on their O'brien board? My son has the 2006 Natural and wanted to know if other brands would fit properly on this board. I have no particular brand in mind, just wanted more options. He has the Ions now and was looking to upgrade.

Any suggestions?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
any wakeboard binding from any company should fit any other board. All the set-ups are universal [(except for a minor few like the new company "Sling Shot," but even they have aftermarket adapters for their stuff)... ok now i'm giving too much info]

The main difference in ataching wake bindings IS IN THE SCREW. some use holes in the plates and others use a clamp like screw combination. But this is no big worry, all bindings will come with their proper screws.

SUMMARY: The screw holes on all boards are universal (other than the minor exception companie(s) mentioned above)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
F YOU CAN GO TO A STORE TO TRY THE DESIRED BOOTS ON YOUR SON'S FEET I WOULD SUGGEST DOING SO. Try a few different ones on. JUMP in the air with them on too. If you can, also demo them out on the water. the responce of bindings on the board on the water cant be felt in the store, but having them on your feet on land is still way better than just guessing and reading into the stuff in books and on line only. HOWEVER, if there are no good stores nearby, then reading up on the equipment may be the only thing available. My first 3-4 bindings and first 3-4 wakeboards were decided upon after days of reading, 'cause i lived in a small town of 7-8,000 with little options available to me.

good luck and enjoy
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-06-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
GET SOME OBRIEN XENONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are GREAT!
Old     (lil_braswell)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-06-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
I ride the natural as well, but I have the obrien xenons. IMO they are the best combination of support, cushion and flex. They would be pretty similar to your ions, but with more support. I agree with Jeremy though, trying stuff on is key. Oh and no worries about mixing and matching bindings and boards. I think if you do though you void the warranty though. At least it used to be that way. Good Luck
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-06-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
i agree with andy! i got obrien xenons last year, and they are awesome!
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Several thumbs up for the Xenons I see. That would be my choice of the O'brien bindings. Those of you who have them, do you have any problems keeping the laces tight? Also, can you snug them down pretty good all the way up the boot? That seems to be the only complaints I have read on them.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-06-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
I double Andy's comments!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-06-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
Thanks, those seriously are the best binding I have ever owned. The Analogs a great as well.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-06-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
Allen,
In the 07 models, no problems keeping them locked down and they stay very snug all the way to the top. I feel like the footbeds are the most comfortable out of all the bindings I've tried.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-08-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
there really easy to get into, but also when you tighten them its very snug. best bindings ive ever had.
i guess they are only my 3rd pair
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for the input. It really helps since we are not able to try on any much less demo. Sounds like the Xenons are the top choice for O'brien.

My son also likes the looks of the Argon ('06). Anyone like to compare the two or give pros and cons on the '06 Argon. Personally I think I would like the looks of the '07 Xenons on the white '06 Natural. But looks aren't everything.

One last thing. My son wears the XXL in the '06 Ions, but we're thinking of stepping down to an XL. He has a good inch to the end of the binding on the XXL. Any suggestions other than trying some on since that ain't gonna happen.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-09-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
The Xl should be a great fit. I have a size 12 foot a rock an O'brien XL. Seems to work great! Both the Argon and the Xenon are awesome, the main difference is that the the Argon is Rear Lace and the Xenon is front lace. I personally like front lace bindings better makes me feel like when I pull the laces I am pulling my foot to the footbed not pushin my toes forward like on a rear lace. Also the Xenon is a bit stiffer. Which might work better considering you son is probably rather tall if he need to us XXL bindings. Hope that helps!
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
Thanks Andy, never though about the rear lacing and pushing your foot forward. Makes sense. My son likes the rear lacing just because it looks "out of the way". Does the lacing on the front bother you at all as far as flopping around?