Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-22-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
I have a Broadcast 5'6" already but have a really hard time keeping momentum when I let go. I was wondering if using a longer board would help. Specifically if I found an inexpensive regular surfboard around 6'+. I'm 6-01, 220 lbs. and I'm thinking the Broadcast isn't bouyant enough for me. I have considered the Blue Lake but recently saw some 6' to 6'-06" surfboards on CL at about half the price and it got me thinking. Any ideas (yeah I know, go on a diet).
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-23-2008, 5:43 AM Reply   
The broadcast 5'6" is a pretty sluggish board when it comes to surfing, even on a good wave. It's great to learn on though. As far as a surfboard, absolutely no problem to ride one behind the boat and it will also be more buoyant compared to the broadcast.

How fast are you riding right now? That can make a difference in the push from your wake.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       06-23-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
Get one with minimal rocker.
Old     (dogbert)      Join Date: May 2006       06-23-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
We have a 5'11" Landlock and we were able to get a buddy going who's 6'3" and 250 lbs.

I agree with TxSurfVLX about the speed. We're usually going between 8.8 to 9.3 for newer riders. The wake has more energy, but a smaller surfable area. You really want to let the wake start pushing you. Most folks have a hard time with the proximity to the boat, but once they get over that, it works out better for them.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-23-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the response guys. I have been riding at 9 mph since that speed seems to make the biggest wake. I'm just not able to keep the speed. As for proximity to the boat, I am usually within a foot or two of the platform.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-25-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Dave, I have noticed some of the longer wakesurf boards are actually slower and more difficult to ride in the pocket. For instance I carry a LF venture 5.0 that is big even for my buddy who weighs 225. Its great for learning how to ride, but the thing is slower than molasses. He actually prefers to ride the Yellow Loogey even though its a little less stable, just because he has a better chance of staying with the boat. I guess my point is...dont necessarily think longer, but do think faster. He is 6'4" 22O. I have been guessing that the IS Blue might be a really good board for him...little longer, but hopefully faster than the Venture.

As long as you know I am new to this game compared to some other of these great guys, I would say this; BIGGER waves aren't always better and it sounds like you are riding pretty slow, and pretty close to the boat. I have found on My cyclone that a smaller, longer, "meatier" wave pushes way better than a short tall one. IF you've ever have surfed in the ocean you might have a feeling for my point. I know all boats are not the same, but you may experiment speeding up/adding more weight to the front of your boat and see how it pushes you. I found this to be the key on my boat.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-28-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the ideas. I actually had my eye on the Blue Lake but can't justify the money right now. I did find a 5'-9" Vernor board on Craigslist that I'm going to try out. It's just what I was looking for. $65. with removeable fins. It has a few repairs but that doesn't matter. If it doesn't work, it will make a nice wall decoration for the game room.

Any ideas how to clean up an old surfboard? It has some paint on the bottom and the traction pad is ripped and partly coming off. Can I just wet sand it or would I need to put a new coat of resin?
Old     (redlegend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-01-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Dave,
I usually use regular surfboards rather than wakesurfs; I prefer the "surf" feeling. My favorite is a Surftech, Xanadu Rocky.
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
Hey Dave,

"Any ideas how to clean up an old surfboard? It has some paint on the bottom and the traction pad is ripped and partly coming off. Can I just wet sand it or would I need to put a new coat of resin?"

I can't imagine that you need to do another hot or gloss coat. Any paint that isn't from an exposed weave can probably just be wiped clean with paint remover. Wash that off with soap and water and it should be good as new. Both polye and epoxy when cured should be resistant to mineral spirits.

The traction can be removed with heat - hair dryer or the like. The residual glue can be removed with the same paint remover and then fresh traction put down.

I think that 5'9" should work ok for you.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I knew if I waited long enough either Jeff or Ed would chime in. I sanded some and used laquer thinner on some. Much of the paint is still on the bottom in the little dents. It looks like it has black measles. I think I'm gonna try it out on Sunday so I'll report back. Thanks again.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
OK that didn't work! I tried speeds between 8 - 12 MPH and this board was slower than the Broadcast. It felt like it was stuck to the water. Back to the Broadcast and playing with weighting.
Old     (akamoroti)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-07-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Have you tried a butter board? They are a lot like a regular surf board. I'm only about 150 but can stay in the pocket forever with the butter and it has a very surf-like feel to it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
What boat are you using and what weighting? I just started surfing this year on an 87 Supra Sunsport with 400 in the back and 4 people on the port gunwhale (DNR love that too I have discovered) and I have a waist high crisp wave. I am 5'6" 165lbs and can drop for a good long time and slash the wave. Pocket is from right behind boat all the way to 15-20 feet out. I have a couple pics under this name on the other site Wkbrdr.com.

We have just recently gotten the larger guys to be able to drop the handle for a short time using the 08 5'11" Hyperlite Landlock. We also tried the 5'6" Liquid Force Venture. They are both okay boards but nothing to write home about. We'll try the Hyp big Broadcast soon too.

Personally I use a regular ocean board too its about 5'6" and has an agressive nose which sinks somewhat often. The Landlock was pretty decent at recovering from that.

I REALLLLY wish there was a way to demo some hardcore boards!! NO ONE carries them or demos them BEFORE purchase. I found a MN shop (waterskis.com) that says if I buy a board, they will let me ride it and return for another if I wish. This is fine but I'm not really ready to purchase quite yet I want to try different options!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
That's why I started organizing competitions and surf and turfs. I've ridden over 40 boards thanks mostly to the AWSA and sponsors like Shred Stixx, Inland Surfer, Trick Boardz, The Walker Project, Calibrated, and Stripes.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
V210 stock without weight. I could fill the center ballast but didn't want to go through the hassle of filling the rear bags. I don't need the weight for anything else (my family, including me, are still learning and challenged by the stock wake on a wakeboard)and my surfing is just a sideline to chill and give everyone a few laughs. I have had lighter riders behind my boat that could drop and play no problem so I don't think it's the wake. I'll have to try at least filling the center ballast and see how it is.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
If you truly want a surfable wake, you need to add some weight to that thing and focus on your surf side. Yes, it is possible for smaller riders to ride without ballast, but if you really want to be able to surf without the rope, I would fill up your ballast and put at least one 400lb sack on your surf side to start. You should definitely notice a difference. Just slowly build it up as you get comfortable. But I would definitely add some ballast.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
I'm gonna give the broadcast another try on Monday. I'll try with some weight and see what happens.