Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old    nwwakerider            05-29-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
i just ordered a monster tower and was wondering if anyone has any tips that would be helpful when i install the tower
Old    walt            05-29-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Measure every thing three or four times.

Only use the drill in reverse.

Cover all areas of the hull in wide masking tape.

It's easier if you have three people but I've done a few with two.

Look for wires ect. before drilling.

If it's a run about boat make sure the middle window is going to clear the tower legs.

It's fairly easy and only takes about 2.5-3 hours.
Old    nwwakerider            05-29-2007, 7:31 PM Reply   
why do i need to cover the hull in masking tape?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
Walt, you left out backing plates!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
The masking tape is used around the areas you're working on to possibly save any scratches if someone slips! Ya know, "oops".
Old    nwwakerider            05-29-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
what do i do to add support to the backing plates?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
They might probably supply backing plates and full instructions with the tower. If not, The folks at Monster are VERY customer oriented. They'll walk you through it over the phone if need be.
Old    walt            05-29-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Monster supplies really good instructions with the tower. It's a breeze !
As far as backing plates go Monster will go over that too.

I think Monster even have the instructions on line.

http://www.monstertower.com/support.htm
Old    nwwakerider            05-29-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
thanks for all your help
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
Lay out the areas your going to be drilling with blue Painters Tape (Doesn't leave a sticky residue like normal masking tape when your done)

The tape does several things.. Most importantly it gives you a place to mark your X's for where your going to be drilling. It's been argued by many that while your drilling it also helps to prevent chipping of the gelcoat in the surrounding area. Not sure if I believe that, but what the heck right? Couldn't hurt.

Run the drill in reverse to get the hole started. You it is grinding the gel away as opposed to cutting it. After you've gone in a little bit (The point of the drill is past the gel) flip to forward and punch out the rest of the hole.

If they sell backing plates DEFINATELY buy them, or make some if you have any fabrication skills. Make sure they are flat to the hull.

Use Nylock nuts ONLY when attaching something like this. If one comes loose your putting tremendous loads on small sections of fiberglass which = bad news to say the least. When your tightening them, don't be shy about it, but don't break out a cheater bar or anything as well. Tighten them up tight, but not to the point where your heading the fiberglass starting to creak and crack. If you hear a little that's fine, but stop there.

As other's have said, measure twice cut once.

Good luck

RD
Old    walt            05-30-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
IMO running the drill in forward at any time is a bad idea when dealing with gel coat. It can catch a edge of the gel coat and chip the hell out of it. It's also a good idea to chamfer the holes so the bolts don't grab the gel coat.

Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
Forgot to add that.. Chamfer, or better yet Radius everything.

WCW, your only drilling a few holes to mount something here or there. If you have to drill 100's of holes I.E. to rig a boat, put in kleats etc.. You'll start going forward.

If you run backwards and push to hard you can burn the gel immediately surrounding the area by the way.

RD
Old    walt            05-30-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
Well we are only talking about a few holes right ?
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
With my dealer only charging $350 to install a tower, I think I would take it there before messing with it myself. Just piece of mind.

Shawn
Old    nwwakerider            06-02-2007, 2:02 AM Reply   
how do i know if i need to reinforce the backing plates? or would it be a good idea to reinforce it anyways