Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-15-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm gonna purchase a cheaper video camera from Fred Meyer only because of the wifes discount. I want to be able to go out and film, plug into the computer and edit, transfer to DVD and be able to whatch on the home theatre. What kind of camera do I need to get? What editing software? Feddy's has two in an add. one is $199.99 JVC VHS-C(2.5" rotating LCD color monitor, 700x variable speed digital zoom, integrated light, digital image stabilizer), the other $479.99 Canon Mini DV(20x precision optical zoom lens, 2.5" color LCD screen, image stablizer. Uses SD memory.) These are just two in an add. they have more. what should I look for. I want to stay at like under $600.00-$700.00 for everything. Plus I have to purchase a DVD drive for my PC and get an editing software package.
Thanks for any help.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-15-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Definitely go with the miniDV - you'll get the best quality and easiest transfer to your computer.

For editing software, you could download the free Avid software, or pick up a cheap package like Vegas Video, Videowave, or something along those lines. I use Adobe Premiere but it sounds like it's out of your price range although they do have a free 30 day trial that you can download. You will also need to buy DVD authoring unless you buy an editor that comes with it.

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-15-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
I second Bill's motion for the miniDv!

I noticed that you mentioned digital zoom for the JVC. You don't want to use digital zoom, so don't let someone try to sell you on it.

Old     (thelakeisglass)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-16-2004, 4:44 AM Reply   
Definately Mini DV! The VHS-C is still analog, ot digital where the MiniDV is digital and can transfer directly to your PC via firewire (you will need a firewire card to enable video capture). I am not sure about Kung Fu's stance against digital zoom. My Sony TRV740 has a 15x optical and 420x digital zoom and I get great results with it on water and snow.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-16-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
Digital zoom = lower resolution.

Tighter the digital zoom the lower the reolution.

Digital zoom simply combines pixels.

A little won't be too bad (but still noticable), but at numbers like 100X and the like it will be terrible!!
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-16-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
optical zoom is what you want, when you get the camcorder turn the digital zoom off, when you zoom in all of the way it will be a lot clearer
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-16-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
Mini DV is 720 X 486 pixel resolution at 72 dpi. This is the equivalent of about a .35 megapixel digital camera. Take a 720 X 486 pict @ 72 dpi and increase the image size in Photoshop 10% at a time until you've increased it to 7200 X 4860 pixels at 72 dpi. Crop the center back down to 720 X 486. This is what your digital zoomed frames will look like at 100X! (Except Photoshop probably does a better job than the cam of interpolating it up!) The motion blur inherent to video will eliminate some of the nastyness but it's still going to look like crap.
Old     (thelakeisglass)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-16-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
thanks for the technical info! I don't usually turn the digital zoom off but I will surely give it a try. I am probably not into the digital zoom much if at all with the length of my rope!

(Message edited by thelakeisglass on March 16, 2004)
Old                03-17-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
look at the Sony TRV 38 its 600 on bhphotovideo.com might be worth a look. U can use digital zoom but make sure u dont go crazy as people have said. A little is fine but it gets a little outta hand quickly. Look for the vegas software have only heard good things about it. Also look on CNet.com. they do reviews for those type of things just a suggestion.