Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (jopyro)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Hi. I am still a newbee to wakeboarding. My questions is about the binding lube. I know it helps you get into your bindings easier but what about coming out? will the water wash it away during the ride? The reason i ask is because out of the 8 times i have been this year, twice i have injured my ankle form a my feet not coming out of the bindings.I have tried making the bindings real loose but still will not come out easy. will binding lube help?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
when you say the wont come out, do you mean on a fall? or after your done with a set?
but the lube will only get you in, its specially designed so that when its exposed to water, it basically turns into nothing, if it doesnt wash away, then it will eventullay ruin your bindings, this is why you NEVER USE SOAP. most of the people i know that ride never use lube, it think yous hould invest in a good pair of bindings that fit you right, my bindings are easy in, and easy out when im done
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-10-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
Sounds like you need new boots.

The Best lube for bindings is Shaving Cream.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-10-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
many of the new bindings , since 2006 dont need lube. get your self a nice pro boot for under 200 dollars (2008 models) and you will probably not have that issue. Some of us believe its good not to come out of your boot. When you come out and one comes out at a different time than the other you risk that the board will twist your other leg or ankle and cause injury. Often beginners get weird injuries because of poor equip and the learning curve they are in and trying to do to much before fundamentals. Having said all that i have not come out of my bindings in over 8 years and have not had any more ankle injuries. I got them in the beginning with cheap bindings and coming out.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
andy, shaving cream? never heard of that. we have newt juice on board incase someone cant get it our bindings.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-10-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
David,

As you know, like 90% of new bindings are dry entry, but the old school rubber boots, shaving cream is the shait. Slippery and it disolves almost instantly. When it hits the water, I used it for like 10+ years.

Joe-

There is a trick to taking off your bindings with easy. After they are loose to remove your front foot, put your front hand inbetween the tip of the board and the front boot, put your back hand sqaure between your feet. pull the front of the board towards you while lifting your heels, focus on taking your feet out one at a time, in this case the front foor first. For the rear foot same thing just the opposite. I have been telling/teaching people this method for years works like a charm.

As for your feet coming out on crashes that is all personal preference. I like mine to stay in personally, nothing more scarey than one foot out and one foot in, great way to destroy a knee.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-10-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
We use Teet lube. One of our crew is a dairyman and gets it for those that need it for free.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
o okay andy, my shanes like dry, but my old ones where rubber and likes wet. i had jus never heard of shaving cream
Old     (jopyro)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2009, 11:43 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, but I think I should have rephraised my question. When I am done with the ride I have no problem getting out of the bindings. Its when I wipe out. Both times the injury happened the nose/front of my board took a nosedive and acted like a brake while the rest of my body wanted keep going. The sudden snatch at the ankle. After reading all the replies, I think it may be my bindings. it is my first board also on a budget. It is a hydroslide "backdraft" with chaiser 2 bindings. What do you guys think
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-11-2009, 5:07 AM Reply   
omg........................you better get that changed asap.........your a ticking time bomb!!!! I n all seriousness....yes that outfit will get you hurt.....bindings have next to no support and will twist and stretch and shred your ankles. Then your knees will be next.

there should be some great sales coming up..........you'll be able to pick up a nice pro gear package for under 400...or buy some 2008 stuff.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on August 11, 2009)
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-11-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
i remember when i was learning to clear the wake i had my first CWB Budget board from West Marine, one day i got ripped out of both bindings on one fall and couldnt walk cuz both my ankles were screwed up. I pretty much immediatly went out and got some Hyperlite High Backs and I never sprained my ankle again from getting ripped out. And to this day I like my bindings as tight as possible....even if it is slightly uncomfortable, your foot gets used to it. There is nothing scarier than having one foot get ripped out!
Old     (reki34)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-23-2009, 11:59 PM Reply   
All this lube stuff sounds kinky I want to try it.. LOL.. Was going to pick up a bottle of shaving cream before todays outing but forgot. Typically all I ever do is soak or dip my board in the water 1st and wet my feet then they usually slip right into my bindings with little to no hassle. I dont see nothing wrong with Hydroslide boards, get price point for beginners.. But their bindings are pitiful. Just buy a set of newer bindings and mount them to your Hydroslide and be happy.

Reki