Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
Hi, I'm thinking of moving to the Douglas lake, TN area. I'm tired of the cold and snow up north and only being able to use the boat 3 months a year. I have vacationed at Norris Lake, TN for the last 5 years or so and absolutely love it. Only thing with Norris is it does not seem there is much work near there and the school districts do not look as good (could be wrong)
I would prefer to be lake side but one of the most important things is to be in a good school district. I have two young daughters 8 and 10. I am a public school fan so private schools are out.

I've seen some things about the lake level on Douglas and how lake side property is not always lake side. Any knowledge of local schools? what are taxes like? How long does the boating season typically last? looking at weather.com it seems like end of April to end of October?
I'm also planning on looking at Tellico lake and Fort Loudoun areas.
This February we are going to take a long weekend and try to look at some schools and see if a realtor can show us some houses.

Any information would help. It's a big deal to move a family from a place that both my wife and I grew up but I just cant take this anymore. We where going to wait for retirement but I lost my dad a couple of years ago at 62 and now 4 more family friends have past away all between 45 and 65. I'm not going to wait around.... I may never make it.
Thanks in advance.
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-21-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
Hello, I own a boat dealership in Knoxville. Douglas, Cherokee, and Norris lakes fluctuate water level by 60' or more. A nice cove in the summer could easily be an ugly mud pit for 1/2 the year. For board sports Milton Hill lake is the best. There are no marinas and only one restaurant on it. Also the government ownes a lot of the property so it never gets congested. The majority of the lake is in the Harden Valley area and it is one of the best school districts in the area. Also the water only fluctuates by a few feet. The majority of Loudon is in the Farragut area and is very good for schools as well. The lake is very busy and it is often hard to find good water on the weekend. It is probably also the most expensive lake to live on. Tellico is a little further away from things and is much more of a wealthy retirement area (tellico village). Watts Bar is huge and is mostly in Roan county. Not sure of schools, it can be a little more rural (red neck), but there are some amazing places there as well. All in all a really nice lake. Hope this helps.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-21-2014, 5:22 PM Reply   
Shut yo mouth. Dont tell him about my lake.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
SCfan, thank you. We have been to Norris 6 tines in 5 years and really love the lake. This last year was the most crowded we have seen it but still bearable. I live off of lake Erie in PA and it is rough most days and when its actually warm enough it is very crowded but most are knowledgeable respectful boaters.
We really want to try to find a house on the lake but will settle for something that is within 10-15min of the marina. We figure if we're going to it we should try to go all out.
I've grown up in the county/rural area but close enough to Erie which is a small to mid size city. I have 10 acres and my neighbor has 100. With that said it seems like the areas around Norris where a little more red neck (no offense anyone) than we would like.
I read about Farragut and its schools but I wasn't sure how the water was around there. How about Jefferson county schools around Douglas?
Thanks again for the help it is definitely god info.
Old    MJHSupra            11-21-2014, 9:28 PM Reply   
Hey there. I grew up in Erie PA and live in Knoxville. Been in the south for 18 years. Boated all my life. I do NOT miss the long weather from the north.

I get my wake boat out in April/May and put it way on ending in Oct.

Schools are different in TN vs PA. Once you get to the more rural areas, there is s a big drop in the public school systems. Some are better that others. I know a bunch of teachers.

Melton is a great lake. Schools in the Knox county. New elem and high school.
Loudon is the more crowed lake. Better schools. More people and sub-divs. More money in this area. Bigger houses on the lake. Most to do for restr.
Tellico is a pretty lake. Mostly retired people. Big azz lake homes.
Norris is very nice. Water drops are huge. Rual schools. County living.
Watts bar is long. Rural schools. Country living.
Douglas is also nice, but country.

Many marinas.

I live in Farragut. 5 mins from a boat ramp in Loudon.
I can trailer 20-30 mins down the road and be in Tellico or Melton
I can trailer 45-60 mins and be in Norris.
Watts bar, been on that lake. I could travel 30 mins or 2 hours based on area.
Douglas - not used my boat there, but my buddy keeps his there. Big lake drop. Lots of summer traffic b/c of the area - cars and boats - many tourists.

Mark
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-22-2014, 4:38 AM Reply   
I also live in Farragut. All the info these guys are telling you is true. Norris lake has some affordable property on it if you don't my driving down some narrow, winding roads to get to it. Norris is so big that depending on where you go to, depends on the amount of traffic. Boat traffic in general has picked up in the last two years all over the lakes here. The economy rebounding is showing.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-22-2014, 6:23 AM Reply   
I'm having a hard time trusting the web sites that grade or rank schools. It seems like just like most online review sites certain things get manipulated. One site a school may be rated a 6 and on another a 10.
My girls are in a school that has a 7 ratting but I feel its a great school. I'm not necessarily looking for 9 and 10 but a nice facility with good teachers. The best way I have found is to just look at test scores and parent reviews.
It sounds like I should concentrate more on the Farragut area? The reason I was concentrating on the Douglas area is it seamed like there is more affordable housing right on the lake, just from looking at Zillow.
Am I wrong about the Norris area? we have been all around the lake but seems like the only civilization is Jacksboro and Lafayette and they are a little to rural, although Lafayette is close. If it was a little bigger it would be ok.

Mark as you remember I put my boat in the middle of May water temps still around 59-60* and it gets pulled beginning of October. Even if its warm we probably will have 3-4 footers. If I actually get out for 3 or 4 hours in September I'm luck. My buddies count how many times they get their boats out and are usually happy with 12-16 and equates to 20-30 hours. I use my boat much more and don't count the days but usually manage 90 hours a season but we do vacation at Norris one or two weeks a summer.
Thanks again guys. keep the info coming.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-22-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
If that is the case. Check out the Karns and Hardin Valley area. Both are great areas with quick access to Ft. Loudoun and Melton Hill. If you want a change of scenery, Norris is only a 45 minute pull. Same goes with Watts Bar and Douglas.
Old     (melton1wake)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-22-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
I would stay away from Melton Hill lake. Lots of aggressive fishermen and shallow spots. No marinas for gas and then you always have the nuclear waste that is being put into the lake. You can find info on that on fishing forums. Norris is the way to go.
Old    MJHSupra            11-22-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Lived in PA, OH, GA, and now TN - it's funny, TN has not figured out the 'tax-thing'. You do not want to live here . . . .

I will ask my teacher friends if there is anything on net that would be a good baseline on school systems.

M-
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-22-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
The school district they are in now has a high-school with about 800 kids. I like that its not really big. The way the.schools are set up around here is there are 7 or 8 schools of similar size all within 20min drive from my door. Anywhere from 700-1500 would be nice. What towns are around Norris?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-22-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by melton1wake View Post
I would stay away from Melton Hill lake. Lots of aggressive fishermen and shallow spots. No marinas for gas and then you always have the nuclear waste that is being put into the lake. You can find info on that on fishing forums. Norris is the way to go.
Not sure if your serious. Lol. Aggressive fisherman and nuclear waste. Seems contradictory.
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-22-2014, 5:00 PM Reply   
From your criteria I would say Harden Valley (Milton Hill Lake) is your best bet, for lake front vs. cost vs. school. A nice house on the lake there can easily be had for under 500k. Farragut it great but empty lots on the water are 300k and up for the most part. I was just at an auction for lake lots and a developer bought all of them for $250 each. If you don't mind to keep your boat on a trailer or at a marina Farragut is great. Karns is where I live, really nice small community but very close (15 min) to everything Knoxville has to offer. I can be in Milton Hill in 15-20 min or Norris in 35-40. Good schools, and very reasonable priced nice homes. Low county tax's.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-22-2014, 5:16 PM Reply   
Im a teacher in illinois and in our state we have an interactive report card for schools. http://illinoisreportcard.com

Maybe tennessee has one?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-22-2014, 5:21 PM Reply   
Here this should help

http://www.city-data.com/schools-dirs/schools-TN.html
Old     (melton1wake)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-22-2014, 7:10 PM Reply   
SCfan can you please send me some info of any houses on Melton Hill for 500k or less. I have not been able to find anything in that range that I would consider decent without major flaws. I would appreciate it greatly, we have been wanting to get on one of the local lakes for years but with that budget we haven't found anything within an hour of Knoxville.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-23-2014, 3:00 AM Reply   
I would look around the southern half of Norris lake, better schools than Campbell country and closer to Knoxville and Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge was known as the secret city and has a large industrial / technology center bringing in new employment to the area. We have our condo on the north side of Norris and yes the water level changes so there are lake front year round, lake front seasonal, lake view homes. I can send you our realtor's contact info as we have a house listed in lafollette for sale about 5 minute from the lake.
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-23-2014, 12:08 PM Reply   
Sorry, my wife does the house shopping, we have been casually looking for about a year. No idea where she finds them. I just know they are out there.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-25-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
SCfan can you please send me some info of any houses on Melton Hill for 500k or less. I have not been able to find anything in that range that I would consider decent without major flaws. I would appreciate it greatly, we have been wanting to get on one of the local lakes for years but with that budget we haven't found anything within an hour of Knoxville.
I think they are more in the Solway/Oak Ridge area but they can definitely be had for that price. There is one up river of Riverside Cafe that needs a lot of foundation work but can be had cheap.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
I live in Hardin Valley and trailer my boat to Tellico, Ft. Loudon and Norris. I use Tellico primarily for the clean water and easy access. It is an easy pull to the very nice boat ramp/park and fishing area that I use. Of course with the canal that connects Tellico and Ft Loudon lakes I can go either way. And if I want to lock through at Ft Loudon Dam I can be on Watts Bar in just a short while. Norris Lake is clear and beautiful, but I hate the narrow, winding roads to get there and the horrible boat ramps with little to no parking. Melton Hill is closest to me, but I haven't used it with my current boat. The water was ice cold in July when I was there many years ago. And as someone else pointed out, there are virtually no marinas or restaurants there. I also can't say enough about Hardin Valley Academy. It is a great high school. It and the elementary school are relatively new.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-01-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
253 Channel Dr, Loudon, TN 37774. There's also a lot of land in Tennessee National and Light House Pointe available for new construction. Great end of the lake.

Last edited by riddick; 12-01-2014 at 2:21 PM.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-02-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for everyone's help. I was really concentrating on the Douglas Lake are but will start to look around Loudon. I'm not sure if I can afford to live in the Farragut/ Oak Ridge area but will start looking.
It looks like the South West side of Norris has some good schools.
I really would like to be right on the water or keep the boat at a marina. I currently keep my boat in the water and the one year I did not it got used half as much.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-02-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
There is an article about Oak Ridge Schools in The Knoxville News Sentinel.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/my-kid-...tings_51824754

TN National and Lighthouse Pointe are not far below Ft Loudon Dam and would be easy access to Ft Loudon and Tellico Lakes.
Old     (Engineer)      Join Date: Nov 2014       12-04-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Hey guys can you please do me a favor and take this survey about wakeboard winches. I need 300 responses and only have 8. Thanks have a nice day! I'm in high school and this is for my engineering project.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NKQK9HQ