Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    phimple            07-06-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
What’s the general consensus on the new Wakesetter 21 XTi? I saw it for the first time a the boat show yesterday (in NZ….. new boat models are slow to get here).

I’m not sure how well it works, limited options on where to put extra ballast in the rear and I really don't like the speaker plate thing in the middle of the back seat....

Has anyone got one and what are your thoughts?
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
I don't like it because you can't place ballast anywhere!!!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
What else was on display down there Phimple? Bet it was chilly yesterday.
Old    phimple            07-06-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
New response, 21 XTI for Malibu, generally thought it was a little light from them considering the market share they have here in the South Island.

The Mastercraft X2 and Matrix Sorrento, both nice boats, but to be honest when the X2 is twice the price sitting in the same booth as the Sorrento and the Malibu’s around the corner are 10K cheaper it would be hard to go the X2. Sorrento is a very nice boat and hope to get a ride behind it this summer (Psssssssttttt did you read that Martin....)

Another boat of interest was the new Bayliner 205 with a factory tower and boarding platform, off the top of my head it was 50Kish so not that cheap considering no ballast etc….

And yes it was bloody cold but they had the place heated really well and it was more than comfortable. It made a good crowd around the little heater units for boats which were really cool. Diesel heaters with 4 vents running off 12V and very compact, $1700 starting point though....

Overall I thought it was really good, all the vendors were happy to chat and took the time for the hull kickers and general rubber neckers. Still too many tinnys and not enough ski/wakeboard. No probe or anything….

(Message edited by phimple on July 06, 2003)
Old    hockeyruss            07-07-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
Phimple, are you a slalom skier? Do you do maybe 70% slalom and 30% wakeboarding? If the answer is yes than the 21 XTI may be your boat, if not stay clear of it and get a VLX. The wake is not impressive and they can call it boat of the year or whatever other title they can buy for it, but if you are a wakeboarder then stick with real wakeboard boats.
Old    vandal            07-07-2003, 12:09 PM Reply   
the XTI design makes no sense to me (in the 21' version especially). they take away usable floor space for a basically useless sunpad and seats on the back of the enigine box. there is not enough room for extra ballast or enough legroom for people to utilize the seating in the rear (21' version). A standard 21' Wakesetter is a much better boat (IMHO) for both boarding and to hold extra people comfortably when you use the jump seats that come with it.
Old    phimple            07-07-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
Hmmmmmm Slalom what’s that? Seems like the consensus is not looking good for the XTI from the wakeboarding fraternity anyway. They seem to selling a few here, probably more from being talked into something ‘new’ rather than looking into it….
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
Phimple,

you might consider asking folks that have an XTI on Malibuboatowners.com about their ownership/riding opinions.

(Message edited by malibudude on July 07, 2003)