Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
This year I'm making the switch to Slingshot. I'm just tired of breaking my LF witness every year. Hoping the Slinger might hold up a little better, and that the flex might be a little easier on the rebuilt knee.

My question is this, how bad if at all are the issues on the 2011 fast track? Slingshot has made a point to mention they've beefed up the track for 2012, and I've heard from a few people that they've seen them break out of the board on the 11's. Is this very common, or isolated? There are some good deals on leftover 2011 reflex 145s, but the ballistic series (with updated track) is also tempting now that they come in the larger sizes for 2012.

I might pick up two, one for boat, one for cable. Any suggestions?

On a related note, I have a 2011 LF witness 144 new in the wrapper that I'd like to sell. $220 and it's yours (shipped). Email me at dustin.m.yost@gmail.com if interested.
Old     (jkgriner)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-02-2012, 10:29 PM Reply   
I ride the 2011 Hooke, and haven't had any issues with the fast track system at all. Just like any other company you have to tighten down the screws pretty regular, but have never had something go wrong, or the binding slide while I'm on it. I personally don't really like the fast track system, but I bought the board because of the board, not the way the bindings are mounted. The 2011 RAD bindings are another story. Both of my bindings have broken, and started wearing out fairly early. They're comfortable as they can be after you break them in, but I would look into Ronix for bindings.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 10:32 PM Reply   
no personal experience riding with fast track. i think it is an awesome doohickey...

but enough of my rambling..., check this pic and it might help your decision.
Name:  fast track 2012.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  54.9 KB

http://www.cablewake.com/article/201...hot-catalogue/
Old     (jkgriner)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-02-2012, 10:33 PM Reply   
The board does land softer, but it's still going to land hard in the flats. That could be that I'm riding a slower 3 stage, as compared to the Kine or Newton. I also have a bad knee, but really just adjust your approach and take everything w2w and you'll love it. Flex boards do take a set or 2 to get used to.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 10:42 PM Reply   
bindings for 2012 are better too
* more durable liners
* Liners are a tad taller so that your ankle wont contact the outer shell material (speaking with experience with the RAD)
* heel kidneys/ j-bars appear to be the same size, but they are probably twice as supportive, due to the black j-bar foam that is on the outer part of the liner will push that part of the liner in on your ankle when inside the boot... if that makes sense
* another way they are more supportive in ankle is that the back of the boot , the line leading from calf to your heel has a slight s-curve to it instead of straight
* the footbed is a bit softer. the footbed has about a 1/4 inch more padding that is a memmory foam feeling material
* laces are smoother pull and have been separated for easier customization of the two zones of your feet (speaking of RAD) here too
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-03-2012, 4:52 AM Reply   
Yeah Jeremy that's exactly what I was talking about, the new track looks like it's anchored into the board a little better. For bindings I'm reusing last years 2011 Shanes, still got a lot of life in them as I didn't get to ride much last season.

I really wouldn't care cause I know it would get warrantied, probably with a 2012, but this board is going to either be for both boat/cable, or I'm getting two (one for cable one for boat). I don't wanna have the track tear out on the cable board and not get warranty cause it had been on sliders. That's what's got me thinking about the 2012's over the great deals on last years closeouts. Pay a little more now and know that I'm mitigating the chance of track issues.

Anyone dealt with their customer service? Do they warranty boards that have been in the park? If the track tore out (not related to the board having been slid), do you think they'd cover it?

My ideal setup would be 2012 Kine (boat) / 2012 Response (cable), just don't know if I wanna put out that much cash. You can get most of the 2011 boards for $300, problem for me is ballistic series did not come in the 145/146 last year so I'd be in the team series on the wake too. Any thoughts?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-03-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
yeah Jeremy the boots for 12 look much improved. I had never been all that impressed in the past, but this years look pretty good, although I've not seen/touched them in person.

Like I said, will be rocking 11 Shanes this year, the gray boots should look dope on any of the Slingers ('11 or '12)