Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-14-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
In other states are you required to have a boater's card? Here in Oregon we have to take a class and pass a test to show we have the basics of safety and general marine transportation knowledge to drive a motorboat. Is that pretty standard everywhere?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-14-2011, 8:48 PM Reply   
Same here in Wisconsin, everyone before 1989 has to pass a boaters test I believe, and you can take it at 12 yrs old, (unless that has changed since i took it)
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-14-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
Nothing here in Ca but I think it would be a great idea.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-14-2011, 10:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwake133 View Post
Same here in Wisconsin, everyone before 1989 has to pass a boaters test I believe, and you can take it at 12 yrs old, (unless that has changed since i took it)
Whoops ment born after 1989!
Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-14-2011, 10:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwake133 View Post
Whoops ment born after 1989!
I figured that's what you meant. Ours started out that way, it was required for under 21, and suggested for older people, then every year it rolled back until people of all ages had to get it. It was to ease the cost and strain on the state marine board of implimenting it all at once I guess. And it gave the old timers some time to get used to the idea probably too!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2011, 4:54 AM Reply   
ALSO that way in VA.Now under 21 has to have a license and by 2015 everyone does.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2011, 5:08 AM Reply   
In New Jersey, everyone 16 and older has to take a 6 hour course and pass the test at the end to get a boaters safety card. I think it's a good thing, it's a good refresher for boaters that already have experience and may have forgotted some of the rules of the water.

Now if they would only teach people not to do POWERTURNS!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-15-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
You have to in AL, but its online now so you can look up the answers as you take the test. And it shows, had a fisherman following behind me about 80 yds when I was trying working on 3's and he obviously had never heard that boats towing a rider have the right of way and you especially aren't supposed to ride directly behind them. That's pretty standard for AL boaters
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-15-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Like Robert said, it's like that in VA as well, however...

Tourists and renters only have to have a two or less minute safety lecture at the renting dock. They're the ones who cause the most problems on our lake, not the people who live here full time or over the summer, but they don't have to have a license.

Plus, the license I got when I was 14 so that I could ride a jetski early is no longer accepted by the state, so I essentially have to pay for another class to be approved. I don't think this is super fair since I've been driving boats since I was 8 years old (under my dad's supervision on days that were not busy on the lake) and know all of the laws and rules regarding driving on a lake. Most of the new class revolves around operating a vessel in intercoastal waters, which I never have and don't plan on ever being in.

Oh, when I was 10 I also sat through a safety class that my parents took on a weekly basis given by the coast guard for 5 weeks. How is it fair that I have to be punished by a law that doesn't even target the most problematic source of violations because of other people's irresponsibility?

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 05-15-2011 at 8:51 AM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-15-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
As Dave said, it's required in NJ. I don't like it, but it is what it is. When I took the course it was a good refresher for a few things though and I didn't mind doing it. I doubt if it has any affect on most people's boating habits though, as I see plenty of clowns being inconsiderate... Particularly on jet skis.