Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-25-2007, 2:59 AM Reply   
so i consider myself to be a very good boat driver, but i have an I/o, recently i have been riding with someone who has a v-drive and i can not get this thing to go where i want at low speeds. is there any trick to it? maybe i just need to drive it more to get the hang of it? thanks for the info.
jimmy
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-25-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
With an in-board, you are directing water flow across the rudder, and at slow speed, there is not enough to to get the boat to respond well. The trick is to "goose" the throttle to increase the thrust and get the boat to turn.

Reverse is a whole new thing compared to an I/O. Due to prop rotation, the boat will want to go left or right regardless of steering input because the prop thrust is going away from the rudder. Use the natural steering to your advantage when docking/trailering and such. Again, goosing the throttle will help.

After 10 years of driving I/O's, going to our first in-board was a real learning curve.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-25-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
when you reverse it will swing 1 direction(most likly right unless an older than 2004ish nautique)_ use that to your advantage. once you get used to it the i/o will drive like a tub.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-25-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
how old is the vdrive you're usuing.... our supersport (95) handles terribly.... but the boat I used this summer, 07 X-1 drive like a sports car... you'll get use to it
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-25-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
Here is how you park.
Idle up to the dock at about 45° with it on the starboard side.
As you get to the dock turn fully to the left when you are about 10' out with the boat still in forward. The boat starts to move parallel to the dock but not all the way yet.
Leave the wheel alone. You don't need to touch it again.
When the bow is close to the dock reverse the boat to slow you down. Doing this will pull the stern closer to the dock and slow forward speed.
If the stern still needs to go in more you let the boat back up a tiny amount and then apply forward gear. That stops you reversing and pushes the stern in.
Repeat as necessary.

I pull up to my dock forward and park it so the bow is out with ease. If you need to you can parallel park with less work than an I/O by using that technique. Just practice spinning in a circle. Don't touch the wheel. Leave it turned left and use the gears.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-25-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
yep, thats how ya park it! You would think that a sterndrive would give you more control. But, learn to drive an inboard, you will never go back.

Like Art said: learn to spin, then you can do whatever you want.

Is it spring yet?!?
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-28-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
My only comment to the above is that it works fine once you're used to it but it def takes more to get used to it and if you have to stop port side to it can be a PITA with a stern drive where it doesn't matter which side is to on an I/O. The only way I'd say a direct or V drive is hands down better than a I/O is when you get into the realm of twin screws, then you've got something.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       12-28-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Px6AkkKHb4

This is all you need. Watch and learn
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-28-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
this is great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_ec1jYH-M&NR=1
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
what's a catch is to drive a Direct Drive!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-28-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
"what's a catch is to drive a Direct Drive!!!"

DD's and V drives will drive the same as the prop and rudder placement/configuration is the same. The diff between any inboard will be due to prop rotation. They will drive the same, but the natural tendencies, to left or right in reverse, caused by prop rotation will mirror each other. does that make and sense. }
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-29-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
tigemike, that's true but not necessary right, a DD will handle more like a sportcar because of the forward engine placement, it has less bow rise when coming out of the hole and turns better since it has the center of gravity amid-ship.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Luciano,

My bad, I miss read your post and thought you were asking a question, not making a statement.

But, in reference to the original question about slow speed driveability, In my experience, this is what you will find, and that is all my answer was intended to address.

Cant argue with your description tho, if the mid-engine ski boat design didn't work, I think they would have changed it by know