Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows who stuck the first 900 and if anyone knows when.
i'm sure theres a bit of confusion about it all.
im interested to know the date especially?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
steve edwards stuck the first 9 in competition, but for off the wake it is tough to say
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
or was it chris law, i just confused myself
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-29-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Shawn Murray hit the first one i believe
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-29-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Supposedly, in the making of the movie Mayday, everyone was giving Murray a bunch of Sh*t. He got mad and stomped a HS 900, not TS. Someone was on here talking about it once. Don't know how true it was.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-29-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
On Mayday Murray landed a 720. Not a 900.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-29-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
Murray landed the first 900 on the mayday trip, it was not on film though. I think Shapiro was the first to get one on film. Steve Edwards was the first to land it in a competition.
Old    benj_t            11-29-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
i thoght Watson hit the first w2w 9...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
murray landed a hs9 during the mayday shoot, though wasn't caught on film. i believe it was off a double-up.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-29-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Really! I never knew that! Around that time there was only a few guys even landing 720 right?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-29-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
I don't recall this history too well anymore, though I recently thought of it so this is funny to me. I read the same thing about shaun in an interview conducted by jeff barton and after the years had passed, I thought I imagined it. Then one day joe umali verified it...so listen to what he said.

After that, I think someone is correct in stating that darin was the first to get one on film. I'm shawn watson landed a 9 in germany way back (but I can't remember if it was actually a competition or not). it even made the national news (because I remember watching that and being stoked out of my mind). I was really proud of wakeboarding and shawn at that moment...

Then at one of the nationals comps, but watson and edwards landed a 9.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
We need Murray on here to clarify.

I remember seeing the first 9 landed in a comp on the news too. that was ages ago. you watch those old videos, and very few people were spinning anything like it is today.

I know Marshall Harrington invented off axis spinning because he couldnt spin flat. You can see him riding in Revolt.

I also find it crazy that the first 900 was heelside.

I love getting into the history of the sport :-)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure Luke Wolfe was doing 9's early in that time as well. I remember talking with Greg Nelson about it awhile back and he said Luke had been doing it early on, but not sure of the time in history. I am sure Collin Wright has to be somewhere in that early progression as well.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-29-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
At the time, the magazines (WBM and Launch) reported that it was Shapiro...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-29-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
I recently read a wbm from 2000 and collin was saying that 900s were his goal and that he was stoked on watson landing one.

An issue from the same time period also had brannon meek complimenting watson on his 9er in europe.

Maybe watson was just the first one to land one in a comp...I seriously can't remember anymore. all I know is that darin landed his on like his 3rd try, which was ridiculous, and I think a sequence of it made an ad for switch 22. either way, I will have to research this. i've been meaning to do it and this thread is the prompt...
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
I've got magazines from back then, im gonna have to read them when i get home. please update your findings 'electricsnow'
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
now you've all done it...electricsnow's on it!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-29-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
hahaha, no doubt! but like i said, i was thinking about this within the past week and I said to myself that i needed to check up on it anyway. When you don't use the information, you lose it, so it's important to have a brush up every now and then.

Sorry if that sounds too serious for some of you. ANYWAY...

I did the research, and darin was the first person to get credit for the 9, though i still stand behind the shaun murray reference. darin landed his well before any of the other dudes. There's an interview in the december 1998 issue of wbm and his recent accomplishment had been mentioned, and he landed it on his 4th try (apparently, it was toeside).

Then the october 1999 issue mentions shawn watson's 900 heard 'round the world. He landed "the first ever 900 in competition at the world cup stop in Feldburg, Gemany in july." His was corked. They also have a list of riders that they'd heard of that had landed a 9 up to that point--Shawn, Shaun, Darin, Gator, Parks and Luke Wulf. they said that luke's was on film, minus the last frame because the photographer's camera ran out of film--bummer! (good call on that, buffalow. the first 9 I thought of from Luke was in monkey on a string. Such a style master!)

then the final issue of 99 has a photo shoot set up for other riders to land their own 9s, and matt staker and rob struharik joined the club. that shoot also had shaun's osmosis 5, which I remember captivated my young imagination at the time...

So anyway, that is why I never throw my magazines away. :-)

(Message edited by electricsnow on November 29, 2007)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-29-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
holy moses, I must apologize for my first post on this thread. I'm not quite sure what I was on, but it sure affected my typing skills and is uncharacteristic of my normal style. Sorry dudes...my sincerest apologies...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
did you find the issue that had the murray interview detailing his landing of the 9 at the mayday shoot?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
haha e-snow that picture of thomas in your profile is CLASSIC
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
Dude nice findings.

So if the first 900 was stomped in 98, Parks then sticks the first 1080 in 99.
Shouldn't there have been a 1260 landed in 2000??

Maybe the Y2K bug got in the way......
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
electricsnow = dudette
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
Found a Joystick add in October 2000 WBM with a sequence of Ike's switch T/S 900
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-29-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
I thought Steve Edwards was the first to land one in comp? I forget why the credited Shawn Watson. I think it may have been because Edwards did his in qualifiers or something.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-29-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
Steve Edwards was in Jr. Mens, Watson was in pro. Edwards did his first.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-29-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
I read the same interview with Shaun Murray saying he landed a 900 (heelside, no less) on the Mayday trip. I read it on some Internet website, not WBM. For whatever reason it was not caught on film, which is amazing given the whole point of the trip was to shoot. The interview also talked about Murray getting picked on for a large part of the trip by Thomas/Chase/etc. for wearing gloves and not being new school...then he just went out and KILLED IT...hence, his intro (sarcastically) talking about his favorite part of the sport being attitudes. Not sure it was the first 900, but likely the first heelside one...
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-29-2007, 11:54 PM Reply   
Yeah the story is they were all out filming for mayday and everyone was giving murray crap cuz they thought he was a "skiboarder" (cuz he used to trickski or something like that) Anywho, at the end of the day the crew was out having a evening set off the camreras and everybody was still giving murray crap so he busted a HS 9, the 1st one ever, then everyone shut up after that.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-30-2007, 2:39 AM Reply   
yeah, that murray thing was online...I thought it was on wakeboarder.com A LONG time ago, but I can't remember exactly.

Lfxstar, that's actually josh smith in my profile. THE josh smith!!! The ad was meaningful, since I had put it up in spring when my season began with my wakeskating buddies back in march (my earliest start ever!), hence "the thaw is over." Now the the freezing has just begun, but I can't bring myself to take it down.

And the 9s that steve and watson landed were at the nationals, which took place in august (or were traditionally later--this was the first year they were in june). Watson's first 9 was in july in germany. that's why he's given credit for landing the first 9 in a comp. but it's rad that steve did it too because he wasn't a "big name" rider.
Old     (diddy666)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-30-2007, 2:48 AM Reply   
I believe that Mike Marsh landed the first heel 9, wake to wake

(Message edited by diddy666 on November 30, 2007)
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-30-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
In not too long, we'll be having this same thread but about a 1080.
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-30-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
I havent seen it in awhile but in the bonus section of encore there is an interview with Shaun Watson and i recall him saying that he landed the first 9 off the wake.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-30-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
I believe the first 9's were off the double, and Steve Edwards was the first 9 off the wake.
Old    110outlet            11-30-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
900 First landed by Darin Shapiro. Shawn Watson was the first to stick an off-axis 900 both in freeriding and in competition. Watson was also the first to stick an off-axis 900 off the wake. Steve Edwards was the first person to stick an off-axis 900 off the wake in competition. Pulled this off stokecity.ca. Watson tried his first toe900 ever off double up in comp in 99, just saw a video interview of him saying so.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
OK here's a teaser...

Who and where was the first 720 landed?

Who and where was the first 720 landed in comp?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-30-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
That's a tricky one. I always thought gator was the first rider to stomp a 7, but then nick weinaker (sp--sorry) said at a pro tour event that cory pikos was the first. Byerly had an early one in Skurfs up, though.

As for the first one in a comp, that's a really good question! I'm pretty sure greg necrasson had one at a pro tour event (I think it was 98, but I'm not sure), and that might have been one of the first to be thrown in an actual run and not a wild card jobby. After that, it's all pretty fuzzy. Shed some light on the subject!! Until then, I'll keep brainstorming...
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-30-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
I don't remember where it was supposed to have happened but back in the mid 90s I was part of the wake email list (pre-wakeboarder.com) and I seem to remember everyone going crazy about Shaun Murray landing a 720. Based on everyone's reaction at the time I'm going to guess that Murray was the first. I believe the video (or it could have been a sequence) that I saw was of one off a double up.
Old    K.B.C.            11-30-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
I thought Byerly was the first 7 at the end of Skurf's Up.

This thread is great....bringing back the memories. I wish I still had a VHS player, need to get that FLF three pack
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-30-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
Scott, that's why I'd never get rid of my vcr. :-) I'm buying that FLF three pack this weekend, but the unfortunate thing is that skurf's up is not on any dvd, so a VHS player is still a must...
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-30-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
I used to have the 3-pack, but now it's missing from its case. Worth the investment, even a 2nd time. I have a ton of old wakeboard flicks on vhs...should spend some energy to get those onto dvd before I lose them.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       11-30-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
first w2w 7 in a comp was gregg, right?

(Message edited by xmcmillenx on November 30, 2007)
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-30-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
don- I thought that Tino Santori was first to land h/s 9 off the wake. Mikey Marsh and Tino are still one of the only people that can spin a h/s 9 off the wake. Theres only a handful that can.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-01-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Elecsnow...

I always thought Byerly was the first to stomp a 720. He did it at RNR in Hawaii in 96. You might be right though. Cory Pikos was more than capable although I doubt it was off a DU or wake to wake.

As far as the first I saw in a comp; Shapiro hit one on his way in to the dock at boardstock 97. Gregg stomped a toeside switch 7 in his run at the pro tour stop louisiana in 98.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-01-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Yeah, there have been people that have given byerly credit for that one. The reason I always thought it was gator was because he had an interview back in the october 1995 issue of wbm (my first issue ever!!) and they asked him "what's the raddest trick you've done this year?" And gator replied with "I've got a few. Indy tantrum to fakie and crail 720." In late 1996 gator was supposed to have a trick tip for a crail 720 but it was scrapped for zane's slurpy.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have known about shapiro's 7. I even browsed through my mags after I posted and I didn't see anything about darin and his boardstock 7. Initially, i thought it may have been first landed in a comp at one of those sea world big air events, but then I remembered gregg's 7, which was really sick. Just to see a 7 in a run and at the time, I think it showed that it was a good idea to scrap the attack sheets and sort of let the riders have a freeride (for lack of a better term).

Anyway, thanks for the info! It's great to hear from people like you about this stuff...

(Message edited by electricsnow on December 01, 2007)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-01-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
Actually, I should clarify because I went on an assumption. There was supposed to be a trick tip for a crail 720, but it didn't say that it was gator's. It was indeed scrapped to showcase the slurpy in all of its "arms behind the back" glory.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-03-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
i know its a little late to chime in again.
i was always under the impression that even though Gator stuck the first couple of 7's they weren't really documented. Byerly got them consistant and he's been credited for it ever since?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-03-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't really know that there's been any official credit given. Like I said, it was news to me when I heard cory pikos was the first guy to do a 7 (but like ryan, that doesn't surprise me because he was a talented trick skiier).
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-03-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
Were Gator's 7's wrapped? They appeared to be in Mayday, or at least some of them were. Do wrapped ones count the same? I don't think they should.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-03-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
There was no specification on gator's 7s, so I have no idea. I don't even remember any wrapped 7s from him in mayday, but it's been awhile...
Old    benj_t            12-03-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Vandall has the sickest wrapped 7
Old     (wakedave)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-04-2007, 12:17 AM Reply   
Darin might be the first to stick the Toeside 900, but I think Murray was the first to stick the Heelside 900.
Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-04-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
i know watson stuck the first ever OA 900
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-04-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
can't remember my password?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-04-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Okay, remembered it.
I am not one to remember details of who stuck what when. But I think I did the first 9, which was off the heelside double up. We were filming for Mayday and Thomas was driving while giving me some smart alec comments about air tricks. I started to get mad at him and the situation, and while the chase boat was reloading the film in the camera I went for the 9 without waiting for them b/c I was frustrated. I landed it, I and the boat went nuts, and the chase boat was mad I didn't wait. Looking back i think i should have waited, but would the double up or my spin have been the same? ya never know.
Watson did the first 9, which happened to be off axis, in a comp. nationals in tx. (i could be wrong historians, so go easy.)
Not sure if marshall was the first to spin off axis? I thought it was scott jobe doing what he called "monkey spins"
Siebring, just got back from costa with moye for the week. surf was small. going to panama next week. you in the waves lately?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Murray,
It was 20' plus yesterday! 40-60' face for you mainlanders. Really insane! Some tow guy had severe lacerations and a compound fracture to his leg. Ouch!

My friend and I went to this nuts wave I've never even seen break and got throttled a few times. Sick barrels!

I'm off to the mentawis (SP?) in July. When you coming out?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-07-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
not sure next time i will be out there. doing central america this winter. off to panama next week with a big crew and ronn is filming it.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-10-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
shaun, were you wearing gloves when you landed that 9?