Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-09-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
I have a 98 Tige 2200V with 350 MPI mercruiser in it. It has an irritating squeal under load. That is, at idle it is nice and quiet. When I hit the throttle I get what sounds like a belt squeal coming from the engine. I have not been able to isolate it.

I have changed belts several times. It has relatively new alternator (2 yrs old) New water pump (2 yrs old) and I change the impeller every season.

Any thoughts on it?

Thanks

Bakes
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-09-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
Is the tensioner manual or spring loaded?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-09-2012, 4:38 PM Reply   
mine too, i was told by someone when i change both belts to make sure you get both of them the same size, on mine the alt runs off the water pump and crank, the other runs off the same thing, he said one is trying to catch up, thats why it makes noise....................not sure if its true or not, this guy has worked on boats for a long time, so i will try it, something has to work.....
Old    9Drozd            04-09-2012, 9:28 PM Reply   
If yours is like mine its got the tensioner thats on a little gear that climbs up the bracket to tighten the belt. How tight do you have your belt?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-09-2012, 10:28 PM Reply   
loose belt causes squeal tighten em up
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-09-2012, 11:24 PM Reply   
I had the same boat and engine and year, throws a really nice wake... I had the same sound as well. I isolated it to the small idler pulley. I used WD40 with a straw on the tip and carefully sprayed the bearings of each pulley when the motor was idling (at the slowest speed you can hear the squeak) and viola, found the problem. When you changed belts, as long as it is tensioned correctly, then start looking for pulley bearings going bad.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-11-2012, 7:48 PM Reply   
When you say idler pulley do you mean the tensioning pulley at the top?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-11-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
Its been a couple years since I had that boat, but I think it is the tensioning pulley at the top, real small approx 3" in diameter? single bolt to take off, not sure I remember a groove in the mounting bracket to adjust for tension, I thought it was a solid mount, just as a change-of-direction pulley. I may be mistaken...
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
every time mine squeals its been the idler pulley (the tensioner one on the top). You can get the part at napa for around 30 bucks. I’ve gone through 3 of them in 8 years. The bearing doesn’t last long if its exposed to moisture all of the time. Its basically a car part not made for marine application in mind.
Old    9Drozd            04-28-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
I just found something out on our this morning. I know for a fact my impeller and and entire serpentine assembly is in good condition but ours started squealling the same this morning. What I found out was the serpentine belt just happens to line up with the back seam on the middle engine hatch. Water drips down and gets the belt wet and the problem starts. I might build some sort of shroud to cover it but this may be your problem as well.