Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (jmiahhenry)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
Hi gang...a buddy of mine is looking into getting the malibu 247 wakesetter. I think that is what it is called it is the big boat. He has found a great dealer in Escalon, CA. But he had some questions and I told him I would ask em on here.

He was told that only the wetsounds speakers would go on the tower?

He is wondering if the wedge really works?

What those of you that own em recommend it?
Thanks
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-20-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
The first statement is not true at all. Yes, you can get wetsounds to now fit in the factory locations but you can also get bulleted cans with car audio speakers as well. NVS speakers will fit on the cross piece but not in the factory locations.

The wedge works for sure. He should get the power wedge which helps shape the wake better depending on your preference and if you're surfing or wakeboarding. If you use a lot of ballast (2-3K) then you probably won't want to use the wedge. With only stock ballast though, it really helps peak out the wake.

The 247 is an awesome lake limo...I mean boat! He won't be disappointed at all. The seating and storage are amazing. For huge wakeboarding wakes though it will take a lot of extra weight. I hope this helps. He should check out www.themalibucrew.com.
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
I just bought a Centurion Enzo 240 which is also a 24 foot boat. I dont think that he would be dissapointed with that boat at all. It is a bit pricey compared to the centurion but none the less it is a nice boat. I was looking at that boat as well but i fell in love with the centurion.
As for the wedge, yes it works. They shape the wake alot and push it back further from the boat. I know that the switchblade on my boat works very well and throws a huge wake!! The downside of it on the centurion is that it doesn't turn for dick when you are trying to park or flip a u turn. I think that the malibu one is alot smaller though. so im not sure how the turning would be probably better.
The size of the boat, well you can beat 24 feet but by the 25 footer and that is just too big. It fits a bunch of people real well and still has room and power left to pull people. But you better have a big gas card with alot of room on it to fill that 87 gallon fuel tank!!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-20-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
Tell your buddy if he gets a Malibu to get the Titan III tower. It is taller and very stable, easy to take down, looks great, put tons of different racks, lights on it ect.....

The Illusion tower really is limited to what speakers you want to put on it as well as racks and it is so low that no matter what you hit our head on them. The bimini is on top of the tower and to me looks funny and makes them all look the same anyways. I have a VLX with a Titan III tower and love mine. My buddy has the Illusion and wishes he had the Titan tower set up.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
I will have to disagree about the titan III. I saw a 247 with one on it and it did not look right. the back legs hit right behind the windshield and it looks too small for the boat. The Illusion is further back and does not make the boat look 28 feet long. The Titan is a great tower but I think it just looks out of place on that boat. The 247 is an awesome boat. He should have no hesitations.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
I definitely agree with the Titan 3 being way too short for the 247. And you're going to have to add extra length to your riding line to make up for the 15 feet it takes for the rope to even reach the water from the tow point.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
I second Brannon's endorsement of the Titan III for the reasons he stated. Another reason to get the Titan III is that, because the Titan III is higher and sits farther back (at least on the VLX), you can blast the music to the rider without having to hand out ear plugs to your crew. However, I too have a VLX and, as noted by others, maybe the Titan III works on VLX's but not the 247.

I believe the 2008 Bu's will have an Illusion tower that is taller and less forward, which may help correct some of the concerns with that tower.

(Message edited by hbguy on June 20, 2007)

(Message edited by hbguy on June 20, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
Jason- You're correct on the 2008 Illusions
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-21-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
Illusion all the way IMO. It is the most stable tower on the market and more and more options are becoming available for speakers and racks. I love how clean the bimini looks and folds up for storage.
Old     (jwharan)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-21-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Not the most stable, but appealing for other reasons, you'll never convince me that by design a tower that mounts in two places is more stable than one with 4 mount points. I have owned both. The titan is more stable, however on a 247, I would go with the illusion, because it will look "bigger" than the titan.