Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Just picked up a new Sony Vaio PC and want to get into doing some wakeboard video editing for fun. I know I could do a search of old threads on this subject, but with tech changing everyday, I don't want to miss out on the newest software that might be out there.

Is there any specific software you use and are happy with for video editing on a PC? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks a million!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 8:24 AM Reply   
I have only used Pinnacle Studio 8. It's super easy to learn, but it crashes my machine about every 30 minutes when I'm editting.

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-31-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
AVID DV PRO
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Yeah,

my buddy said to buy a Mac, because of the crashing problem on PCs while editing. I am hoping the Sony pc I bought P4 2.8GHZ, 512 Ram will help that, the Sony I bought is desighned for video editing, it even has RCA jack imputs on it. Who knows, anyway, video editing is not the primary purpose for the pc, so I had to go with the PC instead of a mac. "I have work related programs that run on pc."

Thanks for the input!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Hey Toolfan, I see you do video editing for a living. Obviously you should know what your talking about, I will check out AVID DV PRO as you recomend. Thanks for the input!
Old    blindsiderider            10-31-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
Avid also makes DV express which is a great program We use Final Cut pro on a mac but also have a pc with Avid express that we use also. I also use premier from time to time and it is not a bad set up. My uncle is a editor for fox sports and they use final cut pro there as well
Old    mnwake            10-31-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
I also use Pinnacle Studio 8. You have to get all the right patches on it, but once you do, it works pretty well. AND, it is very easy to use. I only edit a few times a year and I can always sit down and pick it right up again.

Good luck!
Mike
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       10-31-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
Sony Vaio, nice choice, thats what i have. I used to use that sony movieshaker, its simple but you can do to much with it. I use ulead pro mediastudio 6.5, works great.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
premiere pro is a great editor. haven't used anything else really other than xp's moviemaker, so i can't compare it with anything. personally i have no faith in pinnacle products - haven't heard anything good about them and just returned a break-out box of theirs that didn't work.

toolfan, which product of avid's are you referring to? they have xpress, xpress dv and xpress pro - i don't see any dv pro product. the xpress dv product is pretty expensive (list $995) - which is more than premiere pro ($699). the xpress pro is $1695!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
Thanks, Christopher and all others for your feedback and encouragement, yeah I was on their site "Avid" and wondering which one would be the best, or shall I say best suited for me. I am thinking DV Express. Ouch though on the $995.

I am no pro, but would like something that is better than average. I hate to learn a new product/software that ends up being inferior, I would rather start out with something that might be a little more expensive, but is capable of taking me to novice and up to advance "not pro" levels.

Maybe after this weekend I will have something to show you all, most likely a good crash video! LOLOL
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
you can't go wrong with premiere or avid. they both also have student/teacher discounts so you might want to look into that. the discounts are substantial.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
Cool, I have some friends who are teachers, I will see if they can hook me up, thanks again for the tip!
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2003, 8:00 PM Reply   
Avid has a new free version of avid express DV for download on their website www.avid.com
It is avid express but you only have 2 tracks of video and 1 track of audio. It has most of the filters and transition also. It will work for both mac and pc. I use final cut pro 4 with boris red at home and I use avid media composer with boris at school. They both are very similar in layout and cutting is all the same in both programs. These are the only programs I would recomend if you want to get serious about editing(final cut for mac or any of the avid systems for pc or mac)
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-01-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
I recently asked some friends of mine who edit wakeboarding videos for sites like wakeworld and wakeboarding mag what they thought ('cause I'm in the market for it too), and every single one of them told me Adobe Premiere. If that's not exactly in your budget, one of my other friends told me to get Video Wave 5.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-01-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
I didn't see the free Avid download? Only an upgrade to 3.5 version? Are you sure?
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-01-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-02-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
FINAL CUT PRO 3! or any final cut pro series...

Absolutly Awesome editing software.

Good Luck!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-02-2003, 4:35 PM Reply   
im surprised this thread hasnt been moved yet... ;)

i tried downloading the avid s/w but although i put in all the registration info and got the key in my email, the download never happened. anyone have this downloaded?
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-03-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Well mine worked......
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-04-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
I downloaded the demo version but it's missing a file or something? It won't install at all?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Just a tip for those who are "trying" out demo versions. There are websites out there where you can get serial numbers to make your demo version the full retail version. Just do a google search. Type in your software and the words serial number and search away. It is much cheaper then paying full price later to find out it does not work on your computer.
Old                11-06-2003, 9:27 PM Reply   
HEY MAN first of all avid frickin expensive as heck and then u have to buy other software to get the full effect. For PCs, check out vegas by soundforge! its pretty kickassss think the site is www.soundforge.com if not just google it!! its like 3or 4 hundred and wayy badass and they'll even throw in their acclaimed audio editing software as weeeeelllll!!!! GOOD luck!1
for the record my PC has never crashed while editing!!!!1
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-07-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
I've just started to play around with Avid and have been trying to learn how to use it. Is there any books, guides, or websites for beginners that you recommend?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-08-2003, 12:27 AM Reply   
Mine is still forked up? Help guys??
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-08-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
steven, do you have windows xp? although i havent successfully downloaded it yet, it only lists xp and mac os x...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-08-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
its official:

System requirements are:
For Windows:
Windows XP OS, 933 MHz or faster Pentium III or any Pentium 4, 256MBs RAM.
For Macintosh:
Mac OS X 10.2.4 or later, 667 MHz or faster G4, 256MBs RAM.

for some reason tho i still cant download it - i've gone thru the damn registration process 3x and when it gets to the page that says "your download will start momentarily..." nothing ever happens. oh well.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-10-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
I fit all those requirements and still no go?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-10-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
no idea then. i've even posted numerous times on the avid boards and can't get any answers. you probably just got a bad download - have you tried downloading it again?

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
Kinda joining this one late....

With the Student Discount price of $395 for AVID Express Pro you can't go wrong! Plus the color correction in AVID is super easy!

I primarily use Adobe Premiere 6.5 and After Effect 5.5, but have been itching to get a copy of Avid! Plus Avid is used widely in the film industry so if you ever decide to take your talents to the big time you'll have one foot in the door!