Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    chopperrider48            03-27-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
I've heard of inboards and outboards, but never an I/O

Can anyone tell me what an i/o is?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-27-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
It's an inboard engine with an outboard drive. Another words, the engine is inside the hull, while the outdrive hangs off the back of the transom.
Old    chopperrider48            03-27-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
How good is there wake?
Old    powaman            03-27-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
Better then an outboard, not as good as an inboard. This is generally speaking, the hull is what makes the biggest difference. I have an I/o
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-27-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
I like our boat because it's an I/O that has a good wake because it's a 26 foot deep-v boat, but if you like to hotrod around at speeds above 40 or 50, then it pays to have an outdrive rather than a v-drive or direct drive
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
Better fuel economy but way more expensive to repair.
Old    powaman            03-28-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Way more expensive to repair? I'd have to disagree, as the engines basically a chevy 4.3 which parts can be found at any car parts store. The outdrives may be kind of expensive to replace but a outdrive should last you very long as long as you keep it up.
Saying there way more expensive to place is pretty general if you ask me.
Old    jmo52            03-28-2005, 11:51 PM Reply   
An I/O has far more prevenative maintanence expences than a DD,or a V drive.