Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
I feel I have a pretty solid game 8-9 handicap. I was developing a pretty bad slice with my driver and began to adjust some things in my swing. Long story short, I have adjusted so much and cant find my way back. Have lost almost 15-20 yards with all my clubs. I took a few lessons and the pro cant see what Im doing wrong. Any help would be awesome.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Swing harder. I think most of the distance comes from weight transfer (at least for me).
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-25-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Weight transfer, all in the hips. Clear your hips in front of your hands and make sure your weight is tranfered to your front foot upon follow through.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-25-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
paging AMO!!
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
9-10 here and same problem except that I developed a hook instead of a slice. Funny since I struggled with a slice since for over 20 years and now I'm hooking it. Can't find my way back either, good luck
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-25-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
Trevor, in all honesty, it is nearly impossible for anyone to diagnose your swing without seeing it. If you post a video of one swing from the front, you facing the camera, and one swing from down your foot line or target line view, I'll be happy to take a look and tell you what I think.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-25-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
8-9 handicap??? I dont think you are doing to much wrong lol, Just go a club down. I'm a 20 handicap so don't listen to anything im saying :-)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
Like Kyle I am about a 20 handicap so that pretty much qualifies us as experts on telling people what they are doing wrong. Without actually seeing you golf my number one suggestion is to start golfing with guys who can't hit the ball far at all so you feel like big hitter. Next I would drink more beer that I would either sneak onto the course or buy from the hot 18 year old cart girl.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-25-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Golf Digest has some good articles that may help.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-25-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
For a RH slice, turn your left toe in, to the point where you think there is no way this is going to work. Hit a few balls and go back to your regular stance. It will feel really strange, but it will work. Might even create a little draw
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
Just go back to hit pitch shots. I mean hit a whole buck of just nice smooth 50 yard shots. Got back to your basics and trust your swing if your an 8-9 handicap. I used to be about a 2-3 in college and when I get out of sink and can't control the long ball. Take out my trusty Cleveland and get my tempo back. Then I go for a nice smooth drive and just make sure my hand release.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
I will try to get some videos posted so you guys can have a better idea. Thanks for the advice so far guys
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-26-2010, 5:25 AM Reply   
Videos deffinately help. It is odd your pro can't see what is wrong. When I struggle or people I have taught struggle with a slice I slightly tweak their stance, close it a touch to stop their hips flying open too early and strengthen the grip a touch especially the right hand. Keeps the club face a little more shut if they have an open face at impact. I don't like tinkering with swings a whole lot because of what happened to you. No one swing fits everyone.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-26-2010, 5:47 AM Reply   
My coach in H.S and college was taught by Harvey Pencik...if you have achance read his book " the little red book".

I'm very surprised a pro is not able to help???

I can see in my head what your probably doing. when you break down the swing into components it's fairly easy to spot problems.

Post videos. I'm fairly confident I will be able to see what's causing it.

My parents spent $$$$$ on coaching...I picked up a few things along the way, lol.

Also have a few good drills to cure common issues.

My guess is your take away is off and setting up up wrong at the top, or more likely your "casting" ( would explain the large loss in distance) and coming "over the top" on your downswing.

Posting a video will help. One with camera behind, and one from camera to the side.

You can avert so many problems with the proper setup/stance.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
All of Harvey Pencik's book are great.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-26-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
It's Harvey Penick fellas. Not Pencik. I'm guessing typo's? At least I hope so.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-26-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
it was early, lol. It's a typo.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-26-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Well post up some vids and I'll take a look as well. I'll see what advice AMO has and I will add to it if you want a couple of perspectives to see if we can get you on track.