Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    readyaimfire            08-23-2011, 1:22 AM Reply   
I've been doing my homework on this and I'm going to do it. My question is, what relays do I use? Can someone who's done this already help me out?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-23-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
I'm going to be doing this on a friend's boat this week. You'll need standard SPDT automotive relays (5 pin) that you should find at any auto parts store for $5-7 each.

Don't get SPST relays. They will normally be 4 pin and not have the 87a pin. If you can find water proof ones they'd be better but they will be inside the box.

Something like this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=946045
Old    readyaimfire            08-23-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help! Sick of reprogramming timers!
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-23-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
Tommy are you willing to give a start to finish class?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-23-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
There's already instructions here:
http://www.lockituponline.com/ballas...box/index.html
Old    readyaimfire            08-24-2011, 2:32 AM Reply   
I'm going to follow those instructions. If I modify anything or come up with an easier way to do it, I will post it here. Looks pretty cut and dry though.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2011, 3:05 AM Reply   
You can actually doing the control with two relays per pump not three. I'll modify the drawing and post it up tomorrow.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2011, 3:23 AM Reply   
Here we go. I did it on my netbook so excuse the hacky drawing job.

The control system has three states:
If both relays are relaxed then the motor has gnd on the top connection and gnd on the bottom connection. ie pump off

If the top relay is energized then the motor has live on the top connection and gnd on the bottom connection. ie pump fill

If the bottom relay is energized then the motor has gnd on the top connection and live on the bottom connection. ie pump empty.

This is how I have my ballast system and it has been trouble free for many seasons.
Attached Images

Last edited by ralph; 08-24-2011 at 3:27 AM. Reason: Brain malfunction
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2011, 3:47 AM Reply   
Darren beat me to it, was going to post later. Also if you have a choice use Bosch relays. This is just a standard reverse polarity relay diagram with a (+) trigger.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-24-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
I haven't done it yet but when I looked at the 3 relay/pump setup I though there had to be a way to do it with just 2 relays. I remember back in the day installing door lock actuators in vehicles with a 2 relay polarity reversing setup like Darren posted above. However, when I looked into it further on just about every thread about this subject someone suggested the 2 relay setup and then others claimed that it "didn't work". Not sure why as it seems like it should. I plan on trying a 2 relay first and see what happens.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-24-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
I revisited the 2 relay diagrams that others had posted in this thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...921/54185.html

The reason it didn't work is because it was incorrectly drawn. The circuit that Darren drew above is correct and should work. It will be simpler, cheaper and overall better than the 3 relay circuit.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-24-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Ok what do you guys think about this setup with diodes to make the LEDs on the switches work? MC doesn't use standard SPDT switches for the ballast pumps that light up automatically when switched to an "on" position. The LED + lead runs all the way back to the timer box so that it can be used to "telegraph" the pump/timer state back to the operator with the 1-6 flashes. The codes are no longer in the picture once the timers are removed so you just need to workout a way to feed +12v to the LED wire for the appropriate switch when it's turned on.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
Defnitely get waterproof relays. I bypassed the timer's in a buddy's X-2 with autozone relays. It worked perfect at first but after about a year the coils corroded in the relays and they quit working. We eventually replaced all relays with the waterproof relays. This is a cheap place to get them: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-079
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Also, the install will be much easier and neater if you use these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-080
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-24-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebdr2002 View Post
Defnitely get waterproof relays.... This is a cheap place to get them: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-079
I saw the waterproof ones but was skeptical that they really were waterproof and also figured they're pretty well protected in the "timer" box. I guess it can't hurt given their inexpensive price. I'm surprised at how hard it has been to find SPDT relays locally. I used to pick them up at any auto parts store for like $5. Autozone only had SPST in stock. NAPA had SPDT but they wanted $32 each! I'm sure I could find them at a car alarm installer since they're commonly used for ignition interrupt but I doubt they'd carry waterproof ones.