Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
So guys and girls I just got my first board at the age of 20 and I havent had alot of boat time but I feel Im progressing OK. Ive got in touch with both Shaun and Travis at the Boarding School and am most likely going to go out there this winter while its snowing here in Iowa. My question to you all is if you could give me some advice on gear, progression, culture, what would it be?

God Bless,
Tyler
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
"life's too short to ride a cheap board" - me

"it's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it" - parks

"wakeboarding is like riding a bicycle... it still hurts when you crash" - good friend
Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Whenever I get a pull its behind a 07' Moomba XLV. But fellas I just rode in a brand new X star and I gotta tell ya I think Im missin out.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
IMO a X-star wake is just ok till you reach that 3000+ pound mark and then it is mind blowing and amazing.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Ren, is there another way to ride it?
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       07-28-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
As far as progression goes, if you are ever trying to land something and start getting very frustrated/tired, quit while you're ahead. It's a lot easier to injure yourself when you are worn out and angry. And not being injured or angry means a much better day on the lake. So if you're ever feeling flustered, work on something else for awhile or let someone else take a set. Just my $0.02.
Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
My boy just got a new 24ssv Supra that should help with the boat time.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-02-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Ya, I don't know anybody with a wakeboarding except one person and I've ridden behind it once... I'm trying to learn backrolls w/out ballast, towers, and a ski boat... If you learn proper technique, when you graduate to a larger wake you'll be flying!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
Gear: (in order of most influential AND cheapest to most expensive... typically)
1. Good Rope - good NON-stretch rope made from either dyneema or spectra. don't settle for anything else. The rope is what connects you to everything, so yes, it is important to have a good one. and the cheapest way to up your ride
2. Good Boots - this will influence your ride more than the board they are connected too, because well, they are what connect you to the board. if you are not getting the comfort and combination of flex and leverage, etc. that you want/need then you wont be able to controll the board as well
3. Board that matches your style.

It all comes down to being "connected." make that connection perfect, with a good rope and boots and board.

------------------
Progression:
Don't favor one side for another. Stay balanced. what i mean by this is; jump toeside and heelside, not just heelside. work on riding switch, not just riding one way. do your best to be balanced, equally strong.

--------------------
culture:
well uhh.... go read some more threads on here and check wakeboarding mag and alliance wake mag etc etc.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-03-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
dont be afraid to take a progression day off if youve had some rough ones, sometimes i need a day of boardslides and easy skills to relax me and remind me of why i love wakeboarding
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-03-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
Only because you mentioned culture: "grom" refers to a child rider rather than a newbie/convert..part of the culture includes lingo ("steeze", "heelside sack-slapper", "butter", "secret stash")...enjoy the ride and watch out because it is addictive.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-04-2008, 5:53 AM Reply   
I know GROM refeers to child rider, but what does it stand for? where does the word come from?
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
This might help. I don't know.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grom
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-04-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Culture makes me think of the old popping the handle rule; if you let it go and stay up on the board you have to do the robot while sinking in the water.

And progression, no bag of tricks is complete without a sexy fashion air!
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
What Dan said +1

you can always pretend to ride the horse and twirl the rope over your head if your sinking in