Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-27-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
This winter I am looking to put some tower speakers on my boat. I am not want to spend a lot of money. The main thing I want is to be able and hear the music while I am riding. I was looking at the krypt tower speakers. Either get the 8" or the 6.5". Should I get two or four of either of these speakers to hear them while riding? Also are there any other good speakers out there that are about middle price range like the krypts? I already have a kenwood KAC-9104D 1800-Watt amp that I would like to use. Is this amp going to work with the speaker set up? Would it be able to power up to four speakers?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
That amp is a mono block with only low pass, so know it would not work with those speakers. If you're talking about the HLCD's that Ken offers then you'll be able to hear them while riding even if you have two of them. Last year Jaime of Bullet Speakers (the same ones Ken sourced and knocked off) did an off season special on the real deals so hang tight and see if he does again this year. You'll want to get a good amp that shows them between 150-250 watts.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
. Last year Jaime of Bullet Speakers (the same ones Ken sourced and knocked off) did an off season special on the real deals so hang tight and see if he does again this year.
I would love to see that deal again! I missed it last year!
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-27-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
What would be a good amp to power the speakers?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Look for a good 2 channel that handles 2 ohms well that way you can run either 1 or 2 pair.

Exile Harpoon is a beast of an amp with some nice features.
I use a Boston Acoustic GT-28, I believe that is the gt2300 now...love this amp!
Arc Audio KS 300.2 or the Wetsounds variant of that amp Syn 2

Earmark audio usually has special deals on packages...check their website.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-28-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have 4 Krypt 8's on my tower all powered by a hifonics zeus 1010. Awesome cheap amp! Crystal clear and loud.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-28-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Duffy how do you like the speakers? Can you hear them easy when 75ft back even when going out into the flats?
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-28-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
I have 2 6.5's powered by a jl g4500 you will definately be able to hear them while riding and into the flats.I had wetsounds 60's on the last boat definately not the same but pretty freaking good.I think enclosure and tuning make or break these speakers or any for that matter.Most hlcd's come in an enclosure designed for the speaker, you can put these in anything which is where the crappy sound comes from imo.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
I can easily and clearly hear them past 75 feet back. They are amazing loud. I couldn't be more happy with them. Currently I have them tuned a bit warm for surfing.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-30-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
It looks like the hifonics zues 1010 has been discountinued. Is the Hifonics Zeus ZXi200.2 basically the same thing?
Old     (neilspen)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
Where are you located Kramer? I have a pair of Wet Sounds Pro 60's for sale. I am in Dallas/Forth Worth, Texas.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
I got mine off ebay brand new for $179!
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-30-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
Neil I am located in Kansas City, Mo. How much are you asking for them?

Duffy that is the kind of deal I am hopefully going to be able and find over the winter.
Is the Hifonics Zues ZXi200.2 basically the same amp you have since they discountinued yours?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-05-2010, 4:08 AM Reply   
I have 2 8"s and they sound really good! Can't hardley beat them for the price.