Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2006, 1:06 AM Reply   
I think that is what they are called, the super annoying aching pain you get in your shins? I seem to get it pretty bad after riding sometimes, especially when going into the flats. They seem to come back now and then and stay for days at a time. After my first set today i could barely squat because they were so sore... Im not even 20 whats the deal? anyone else deal with this?
Old    alanp            10-20-2006, 2:25 AM Reply   
kellen run a little bit and that should cure you of your problem. sounds like youre not in shape. (im not trying to be a jerk) i run about 30 miles a week, i dont think you need to run this much but a couple miles a day and your problem will be solved.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-20-2006, 4:01 AM Reply   
I know 2 riders who have had on and off trouble with shin splints. They are caused by small tears of the muscle from the bone and are very painful. In wakeboarding landing in the flats and other "hard" landings seem to be the most common cause.

Runners suffer the most with splints. Shoe condition and running style impact. The only way to heal is to stop the activity for a few weeks. Shin splints are not a matter of being in shape, they are an injury that must be treated.
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-20-2006, 5:16 AM Reply   
Look im 18 and have played baseball and football for 4 years. for the first two years of both sports i had problems with shin splints and i was in VERY good shape. Then my baseball coach told me that i didnt need to stop activity i just needed to get some new arches in the shoes i wear around all the time. I got the arches and after about a week the pain was gone. Get new arches and wear them whenever you have shoes on. I guarente they will be gone in about a week.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-20-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
I used to play basketball and got them after wearing a new shoe. Sounds like you need arch support in your bindings. Then you may want to run 30 miles a day in the bindings just to be sure!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-20-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
Shin splints are related to poor arch support as ecoff12 has experienced.
Any type of impact activity will only worsen the condition as will being overweight without good arch supports.
You can find premade arch support inserts at most sporting good stores or anywhere that Dr Scholls is sold.
The usual stretching, icing and anti inflammatory also so help.
Old    alanp            10-20-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
jim thats funny.
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
I wear blownout leather flip flops everyday to work... could this possibly be part of the cause?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-20-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
...thats it kellen.....your basically walking barefoot....no cushion......I think thats all of the cause!
Old    murrayair            10-20-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Try taking a calcium supplement every day. Worked for me and one of my friends.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
i get shin splints too, so badly that i can't jog for more than a mile before i'm limping, no matter how long i give it to heal and no matter how good the running shoes. but i was actually thinking that if you're noticing it with wakeboarding and not other sports, that maybe you're gripping the bindings with your toes really hard when you're riding without realizing it, basically trying to flex and extend your foot while riding, but your foot can't move because it's fixed in the binding. just a thought.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-20-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
Kellen, try out some different flip-flops. Wearing shoes just doesn't work for me (even in winter, LOL) so finding comfy flip-flops was key. Check out the Reef's. They seem to have the best support of anything I've worn.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-20-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Shin splints are also caused by overbuilt gastrocnemis and soleus muscles, which are basically helping the process of tearing your tibialis away from your shinbone. Extend your leg, strap a weight to your toe, and lift your toe as high as it will go without bending the knee...find the weight that allows you to do this 15-20 times before failure. Since it's a small, fast-twitch muscle, higher reps are what you want to use to build it up, and building it up will keep your rear calf muscles from pulling on it as hard.

Coming out of rehab, that muscle was the worst atrophy..i'm still rebuilding it 3 years later :-(

Good luck!
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Its definately not from my bindings. I will go from riding fine all week to one hard landing and im screwed for days.

edit: Reefs are all i wear, our shop carries them so i have about 8 pair, only a selected few are comfy all day long though.

(Message edited by kel dub on October 20, 2006)
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-20-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
???? tony burks (tonality)
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Sorry in advance for the long boring story but if I help one person then I feel better.

Kellen and the rest with this condition, I feel for you.

I had severe shin splints from 14-20 years old and I tried everything. Arch supports, soft inserts, hard inserts and nothing worked. I just played (football) through the pain and really rested my legs in the off season. At the start of every season I could feel it coming on again.:-(

When I stopped growing is when I noticed the pain started to go away and now I'm pain free. I have been since my early 20's.

My younger sister had the same problem in high school and was diagnosed with "compartment syndrome" in college. She played soccer in college and her legs would get so bad they would start to fall asleep while running. This syndrome is different than shin splints but sometimes they can have similar symptoms. I'll bet you that is what I had, although I'm not certain.

Anyway, see a doctor if you can. She had minor surgery for her syndrome and improved dramatically. I just wish I had pushed the issue with my doctor and parents when I was younger so I could have enjoyed sports more.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-21-2006, 1:47 AM Reply   
i get them from hittin the kicker, but the strange thing is rather than on the front of my shin from running i get them down the side of my shin. i'm thinking cause this is where the muscle needs to work when landing
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-22-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
I had them so bad a few years ago from wakeboarding I could hardly walk without painkillers.

My advice which had totally helped me and I don't get them anymore is stretch before every ride. If I don't stretch I pay for it. It will also help to reduce other injuries.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-23-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Sorry phantom, i guess not everyone is OCD about stuff like that like i am :-)

How's this...

Your calves are too much stronger than your shin muscles. Work out your shin muscles more to balance them out.
Old    abadsvt            10-23-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
I get them REALLY bad every weekend when i play soccer. I can't get rid of them so i started wrapping them with athetic tape and that helps alot. At least it allows me to play a full game. What stretches should i do? Also has anyone had a custom sole made for there shoes to help with the shin splints? I just started doing some calf raises and toes raises trying to build the muscle up but i don't want to stop playing soccer. Thanks ahead of time!!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-23-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
Calf raises are NOT what you want to do. You want to work on the anterior tibialis muscles.
Sitting in class and doing toe taps
1.Keep heel on ground and lead with big toe until forefoot is off ground.
2.Lead with small toe and pull up side of foot off ground , again do not lift heel off ground.

You have to do this slow and controlled so you don't make any noise or everyone around you will get mad , especially a teacher.
Do enough so that you feel a burning sensation.
You can do this with and without resistance.
Also with knee bent ( like sitting in class) or with knee straight ( lying around watching TV.)
Old     (wakeskateal)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
shin splints sheee what a bunch of panzeees
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-23-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
I ran cross country in high school (ran like 5 miles a day), and developed shin splints. I had them all the way through basketball season and through the end of baseball season. I rested over the summer and the next year I said no more cross country and they went away. I would say rest and see what happens....otherwise try taking an anti-inflammitory (Ibproufen) 30 minutes before activity that used to help me quite a bit.
Old    abadsvt            10-24-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Yeah i use Ibproufen alot. Maybe too much I am 25yrs old so i can't do those toes lifts in school but i will try them when i am sitting at home. Hopefully that will help. Thanks
Josh
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Actually went to the doctor this morning, he said to just try to rest them and keep up on the Ibproufen. He is hooking me up with some 800 milligram
Old    chrisag05            10-25-2006, 4:34 AM Reply   
I ran track and cross country and it came to a point where I would get them, and they would be so bad, that after my races, my legs couldn't support my weight. I would collapse sometimes. When I went to the doctor, they said that I had a severe muscle imbalance in my legs. I had to do all of these stretches, and 'drills' as they were called, iced, and heated. I also had to get them taped everyday, so my arches were in the correct position, and would take some of the pressure off parts of my legs. I got taped for practice, meets... everything. It kinda sucks, but they're not as bad anymore. I took a season off because of them. And when I started back up again.. hard core again.. they were there but nothing like before. But whatever works best for you is awesome! Meds help too!!