Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-14-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
i think they need to be rethought, i took one to the head this year and had a nice lump for a few days. My buddy cracked a rib last year with one, and im pretty sure a carbon fiber handle hit my vest buckle and broke/seperated my ribs this year. Im sticking with the old school myself, especially at a hundred bucks a crack.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-14-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
Just picked up a nevin handle, it is the nicest handle I have ever had. Rides just like a carbon but its soft and won't break any boards,ribs,heads, etc...
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
I'm sticking with the traditional. I love my premier handle.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-14-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
glad to know im not the only one that feels this way.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-14-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
Heck I am so old school I have a rubber handle that has a tractor type grip and I love it! Those new style foam handles make my hands hurt.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-14-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
i love my byerly handle, SUPER light and half the price. plus, it floats just fine to the dismay of others.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-14-2005, 11:19 PM Reply   
You guys should check out the new Proline handle. They call it the leather grip but it's not really leather. It feels like a super soft chamoise(shammy) and is incredibly tacky yet very soft. I can't wait to get one.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2005, 5:34 AM Reply   
I absolutely LOVED my Zero G handle's stiffness and feel, enough that I was willing to put up with having to pull it into the boat carefully, toss it to a rider carefully, etc. However, after seeing someone nearly get his arm torn off after a fall where his arm went through it, then the same thing nearly happened to me, I started riding really timid with my graphite handle. Needless to say, I no longer use it.

Currently digging my "old skool" Gregg handle, although the HL Premier is very good too.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
Premier handle for me all the way....but having said that, I have never tried any of the carbon handles.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2005, 6:45 AM Reply   
I rode a carbon handle and thought the grip was a bit narrow. I am used to a much wider traditional handle.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
Shea!!! the new proline handles are dope. They have another one that has re-wrappable grips. You can change the feel by how thick you wrap it and can replace the grip when you wear it out. It is also contoured with a slight U shape to the handle to help with handle passes. Usually I say gimmick to this type of stuff, but that handle is really sick. I'll be sporting one this year for sure.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
What was the narrow graphite handle you tried, fox? The Accurate graphite handles are listed as 15.7" inches wide, a tad wider than the std 15".

I'll admit they LOOK narrow due to the thickness on each end, but they are in effect the same width as std handles.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Did anyone mention accidentally dropping them on your boat can leave a mark too? I think they are overpriced unnecessary junk.

HL Premier for me, got it when it came out because of the thicker pad and still using it today.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-15-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
Evan, HOOK ME UP WITH ONE.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-15-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
I choose the P R E M I E R
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
Proline handle, no doubt. The new grip is nice.

My Premier handle is getting a little slippery
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
I want to see the new Proline handles. When are they suppose to hit the market? Their website still shows last years stuff.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
what's up with the new 'hyperlite handles'. I thought that accurate was owned/ a company associated with Hyperlite that designed the ropes and handles for them???
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
I don't think the type of handle has anything to do with what happens if you get ur arm through it. I'm thinking the results are gonna be the same.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-15-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
screw the carbon. I have a $30 straight line barefoot wakes handle 15"
Old    murrayair            09-15-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
I really don't notice an improvement in my riding between a "normal" handle and a carbon. When I ride I'm not really ever thinking "Man, this handle is way to heavy". I just never notice the difference.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
I think it was just an idea that wasnt thought all the way through in terms of downfalls/benefits as opposed to the marketability of it. Just my .02

www.wakecoupons.com
Old    jayp            09-15-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
Carbon fiber handles wont make you ride better and just cost more $$$ First time I used one it hit me in the wrist while crashing. I had a bruise for a week. I wouldn't buy one. I have an Accurate Premier. It costs less and I like it better.
Old    zboomer            09-16-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
All right all you haters, I'll go on record as saying I like my carbon-fiber Straighline Vortex.

It's super light, has lasted two summers so far, and I LOVE the grip on it. It's also nice that you can wrap the rope around it for storage.

I did discover it sucks to let beginners use it though. If they fall backwards, and let go too late, the handle hits the board knocking a chip out of it.

Otherwise I love it, oh well.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
Like I said earlier, you guys have got to check out the Nevin handles, particularly the Collin and the Josh TCH handles. They are hard to describe but they feel just like a carbon handle when you are getting pulled (no twist) and they are soft and flexible so they cant hurt you, your boat or your board. I bought mine 2 weeks ago sight unseen because no one had any around here to look at. I go through about 3 handles a season and this one looks like it could last a lot longer, but we will see. Also, you can't beat 17 inches! Here is a link to some. http://www.buywake.com/catalog/index.lasso?cat=5
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
I put my head through the handle once and dislocated my jaw, if I would have had a graphite handle the thing would have damn near taken my head clean off. I'll stick with the old school handle. I am interested in that new proline handle, sounds pretty wicked.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
I am 95% certain it was a Straightline carbon...the black and red one. It was super light, the grip was awesome, but somehow it "felt" smaller. I might be one of the sesitive types where the little things throw me off my game. I heard that thing crack off someone elses board on a fall, and man I would not want to get my hand in the middle of that.

Not that I'm all up on someone's "jock" particularly, but I liked the grip on Murray's new handle. The molded grips were nice and seemed to make for less blisters than the 05 Murray handle. I think I will be getting one as soon as the come out.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
does anyone notice that parks has a carbon handle that he never uses....other than shapiro i cant think of any other pros that actually use carbon
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
Im still a hater, but Boomer made some good points.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
Im still a hater, but Boomer made some good points.

www.wakecoupons.com