Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    xtigeman            05-20-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
Here as a few.
boat
boat1
boat2
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   
Very nice. The blue even matches. Doug, do you tow with the tower down?
Old    mikep            05-20-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
My Escalade can beat up your Cayenne! :-)

Very nice rig!
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-20-2003, 4:44 PM Reply   
nice ride.

my money is on the porsche especially if that is the 400 hp version.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
Porter- Put down the crack pipe.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2003, 4:47 PM Reply   
my bumper can destroy you entire escalade with one hit.ask the expedition that lost a lane battle
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-20-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
sorry to get off the subject but i admire some of the houses on some peoples profiles pics. bitchin houses that would be 1 million plus in california. sometimes it is hard to live in ca. now our governor is putting a triple the car registration fee on vehicles. a new suv would be about 1500.00 to register. oops sorry to ramble...
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2003, 7:10 PM Reply   
umm do u tow w/ the tower down..?
Old    xtigeman            05-21-2003, 6:05 AM Reply   
I tow with tower up. Just have to put down to get in garage.

Ty: That is a great thing about living here. Neighbor two doors down sold their place for about $ 625k (about 6,000 sq feet), next door neighbor asking about same and about same size.

(Message edited by xtigeman on May 21, 2003)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-21-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
a 4800 sq foot house like that would go for about 1.5-2 million probably
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-21-2003, 6:24 AM Reply   
Doug, sweet! I really like the setup!

Just out of curiosity from the last thread where everyone was talking crap about the Porsche not being able to stop due to it's size and weight... can you set us all straight now that you have real world experience?

(my thought is it probably stops as fast, if not faster than anything you have ever towed with)

Old    6more            05-21-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
Looks good Doug,

I'm a little surprised that they stuck those roof racks on the truck. They look silly to me - they are way to close to each other. I personally would take them off (if you can easily). It would really clean the lines up.

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-21-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
porsche station wagon?
Old     (monboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-21-2003, 7:37 AM Reply   
That's nice!! By the way, Where's your platform?
Old     (noquams)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
The towing capacity of a vehicle is rated by the braking system. Porsche is known for having heavy duty brakes. One additional thing to consider is most boat trailers have their own brakes. A large heavy tow vehicle translates to more fuel consumption and more mass to bring to a stop.
Old    xtigeman            05-21-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
RE: Roof racks

Haha. I moved them real close together so the front one would not be covering the sunroof. I added those because we gave up room compared to my Tahoe. I have considered just taking them off an leaving them in the garage. Just never got arounf to doing it.

RE: Brakes

It has incredible brakes. I ought to shoot a photograph of them. They are massive 6 caliper. Same size that is on 996 Turbo.

It really stops better than the Tahoe and I think my brake fluid on my trailer brakes is even low. They take longer to kick in than usual. I stomped on them a few times and it stopped ona dime. No fade, no anti-lock, no nothing.
Old    xtigeman            05-21-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Chris:

Not5 sure what you mean by platform, but I do not have the air suspension (would like to have had it) and mine is the 340 horse power version.
Old    helixthecat            05-21-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
I think he meant the swim platform on the back of the boat.

BTW-Nice Setup
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-21-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
doug - i think he means the swim platform
Old    xtigeman            05-21-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
Oops. Wood one. Boat will not fit in garage unless remove it.

Old    riverfreak            05-21-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
dont you know that most wakeboarders with 40k boats are freakin' wealthy....this is a spoiled white boy's sport.....anyone with the right amount of $$$$$ can wakeboard.....
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
Riverfreak, I hope you are joking big guy. I just bought a 2003 X2. I worked my ass off for it.
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       05-21-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
River, I am broke trying to pay for all my toys + I have got two gas hogs!! Hummer gets about 7-8MPG and boat about 5-6GPH. That reminds me to tell the wife she will have to get another job to pay for gas.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-21-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
riverfreak - ummmmmmmm. where did that come from??
Old    swass            05-21-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
"The towing capacity of a vehicle is rated by the braking system."

Oh, really? So, if I throw a set of 14" Brembo rotors on my wife's Accord, does that mean it'll tow our 4500 lb boat?

I bet those who tow with Suburbans might have a thing or two to add.

Old    helixthecat            05-21-2003, 4:22 PM Reply   
Going downhill....sure?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-21-2003, 7:07 PM Reply   
I appreciate Doug's position in life, but to me the ultimate tow vehicle, is anything that is diesel, weighs 7K + lbs, and is a 3/4 ton or above, and has double the weight rating that I tow.
Old    xtigeman            05-21-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
3/4 may pull a whole lot better, but when the trailer is taken off, you can set out in the Cayenne and take ricer's title, blow away A4s,
Bimmers without V8s, TTs, most of the jap stuff and american stuff is no sweet from 0 to 60 or 100.

It corners like a true sports car. Incredible brakes, with no fade under any conditions, and it is very comfortable.

I feel like I got a 2 for 1 (tow vehicle + another sports car).

Old    ernie_mckn            05-21-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
hey dougie take that setup to the doctor...............cause that thing is sick, nice buy chief
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 12:28 AM Reply   
Must be a dilemma when it comes time to upgrade the boat, the new x is far to ugly to tow behind that porshe.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-22-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
Just wait until your TT arives, you won't be as impressed with the Cayenne. Good think it's the wife's car! :-)
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-22-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
so what cars do you have now? the cayenne and tt? did you get rid of the yukon?
Old     (faceplant409)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-22-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
I think I'm gonna be sick....I think the green in my cheeks is envy.

Note to self: In next life go to law school AND pay attention!!!! By this time in next life you too could have Doug's setup.

Nice work Doug!!!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-22-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
It looks like a Puffy Ford Pinto or AMC Pacer.
Old    steveaz            05-22-2003, 11:56 PM Reply   
Blahahahahahahaha...LMAO

Love Porches but they've always been a little more unique..I don't think that's the case this time.

Porsche Cayenne

Infinity FX45

Lexus RX-387

Nissan Murano

Hyundai Santa Fe

Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-23-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
Steve mate,
I thought you were selling your Hyundai for the new Kia? (what happened?) Oh well, nice to see you are still posting pictures of it when possible.........

BTW, enjoy your weekend on the water for me because as usual, I will be ferrying the friendly skies full of disgruntled travelers!
Old    steveaz            05-23-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
Well, if I had the time (unlike some who are sitting on my arse in the airport surfing the net) I'd give you all her impressive stats but I gotta get her hooked up to the boat for another day at the lake but hey, we'll wave at ya as you fly by. Oh, and who'd have thought the Kia would be so popular...it's like 9 months to get one...can't wait.
Old     (htown)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-23-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
Doug - A BMW M3 doesn't have an 8 cylinder. I am positive it would destroy that car 0-60 and 0-100.

A Corvette, SS Camero, Saleen, and Cobra (to name a few) are all American cars. Also positive they would destroy the Cayenne 0 - 60 and 0-100.

Actually, from an SUV standpoint, the Cayenne barely beats and Escalade. According to Porsche's website, the S version does 0-62 in 7.2 seconds.

According to Car and Driver, an Escalade does 0-60 in 7.4.

Don't get me wrong, you have a sweet set-up and I like your new purchase. I just wouldn't go racing anything on the road for pink slips just yet.
Old    xtigeman            05-23-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
The titles and ricer's comment and stuff was toungue in cheek. Of couse an M3 will smoke it, but I cannot tow a boat with the M3.

RE: Porsche's numbers

Unlike American cars, Porsche usually estimates their performance numbers. The TT does 3.8 to 3.9 0-60 consistently. Porsche numbers are 4.2. I have seen two tests on Cayenne S and both were 6.7 and 6.8. Not bad for a tow vehicle.
Old    xtigeman            05-23-2003, 5:17 PM Reply   
Steve:

You forgot one more, the VW Toureg. In person, they all look very different and are smaller than the Cayenne, except for the Toureg.
Old    steveaz            05-23-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
Actually I think there are a couple others as well. You're right though Doug, they do all look different (the worst being the Infinity, remember the Eagle AWD...it's back), I just expected a little more in that category from Porsche. I do think it has very respectable stats and sounds like it will run circles around the others...well except for my Santa Fe. I've got a 5" exhaust w/10"tip, chipped it, dropped it to the ground, and neon windshield washer lights..you better hope you don't meet up with me at the light
Old    xtigeman            05-23-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
I as well have been hit and miss on the looks at times. In person, it is much more imposing and larger looking which helps it. There are really two choices: (1) keep them square (Yukon, Tahoe and other AMerican made); or (2) these new aerodynamic trend. AFter spending time with the Cayenne, the design really grows on you and I start liking it better than others I had liked before. I think this platform is a good starter platform and it will evolve into something really cool if it hanges around long enough.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
Doug, did you ever look at the X5? Just curious. I looked at both but decided to save about $30k and not have to wait for a car I couldn't see (bought before they were in production). My X5 pulls my boat stronger than my Denali and it is much more fun to drive than the 740IL I had before the X5. Same as you, I still have my sports car, mountain car, and tow vehicle.
Old    xtigeman            05-24-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Did you get the 4.4 or 4.6 V8. I drive the Bimmers and they were nice. Felt like I had less room in them and they were not as quick and agile in turning. Braking seemed different. Tow capacity was lower or at about 6,000 if I recall correctly.

I was leaning toward the new Range Rover until I drove the Porsche. AFter driving the Porsche, there was no doubt in my mind which one I wanted.
Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-25-2003, 1:06 AM Reply   
I'm sorry, but american horsepower is much different from German. A saleen, SS, and Cobra may be able to compete 0-60 and 0-100, but what people don't understand is that that's not what a car's all about. Handling has to fit in there somewhere. Driving in straight lines on straight roads gets way too boring. A windy road is where it gets fun. I've driven the mustangs and cameros and they don't come close to a Porsche especially when it comes to handling. Sure maybe after you supe it up with abunch of aftermarket bs, it can compete with a porsche in 0-60 times, but if you go into after market stuff with porsche such as RUF or Gemballa it's totally incomparable. Another very good example of how amazing these cars are is the horsepower per liter ratio. All of the american cars get a ton of horsepower as do the German cars, but the german engines are half the size. It makes much more use out of the engine space and size and at the same time doesn't guzzle gas like a typical american big block. To say that an Escalade is as fast or comparible to a Cayenne isn't right at all. The Cayenne dominates an Escalade in almost all the categories. Doug, I test drove the Cayenne (not the turbo version) with my father and it's a truly unbelievable SUV that will dominate almost all categories of a SUV. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Porsche family. Your set up is awesome. I don't know if you're aware that there is a Porsche Club of America. There should be a chapter that is somewhat close to you that loves these cars as much as you do and it's a lot of fun to be a part of. Anyways, I thought I might just try and make the point that Porsches arn't just that "other" vehicle.

-Chris

Old     (htown)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-25-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Chris - re-read Doug's post. Then re-read mine.

I understand what a Porsche is all about. We had a 97 TT. Porsche's are very nice cars. In fact, I agree, they are not a 0-60 car at all. That is not what they are built for. They are built for handling and are also more of a 80-170 car.

My point was not that they are not nice and I did not mention handling at all...Neither did Doug in the part of the post I am referencing or replied to. It was directed at the comment that they Cayenne will beat any non 8 cylinder BMW. And, American cars are "no sweat from 0-60".

The 0-60 and 0-100 comments are in reference to a drag race. Not a road course. And, that being the case, it would not be a good idea to go up against a M3, BMW 330, Vette, SS, Cobra etc. By the way, BMW's are not about 0-60 either.

As far as the Escalade comment, I would really hope, and expect, that the Cayenne would dominate it in EVERY category. My Escalade is $50K, the Cayenne is $68K. Also, IMO, A Porsche has a helluva lot better name and reputation to hold up than Cadillac. It was just used as an example of an SUV that I knew about. I am sure there are some SUV's that would beat the Cayenne from 0-60. I don't really care enough to put the time into learning which one though.

Doug - I am not slamming on you. Still say it is a sweet car and nice set-up. I am glad you are happy with your purchase. That is really all that matters here.
Old    xtigeman            05-25-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
The Cayenne S starts at 55k not 68k and invoice is 48k so it is possible to pick a base model Cayenne S up for the same price as an Escalade.

Look at my other post about Cayenne and you will see my main reasons for purschasing is because it handles like a sports car. Escalade does not handle like a sports car, but I have not and am not saying anything bad about any other SUVs. Not fair to compare an Escalade and Cayenne because they are two totally different platforms made for different purposes. One is luxury market and one is sports market.

Quickest SUVs (I know of) that can tow anything 0 -60s:

Cayenne Turbo is 5.5 or less range (88k base price) (I have not seen real world testing)
BMW X5 4.6 is 6.5 (66k base price)
Cayenne S is 6.8 (55k base price)
VW Toureg with V10 diesel is 6.9 (67k base price)
Old     (htown)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-25-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
Doug - no need to explain your reasons to me. Everybody has their own freedom to choose what they please, for whatever reason(s).

Have a good Memorial Day weekend. Hope you enjoy your new toy. I am going boarding.