Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2005, 6:18 AM Reply   
I am giving some thought to relocating and was curious about the area. I think it would be fairly easy to find a new job, or even contiue to commute in my existing job. Real estate seems pretty reasonable there. What areas are pretty good areas if you have school age kids? What areas should I consider for boarding? I know there are some major lakes, just wondering if you can find good water pretty easily? Is living on the water really a bonus in the area? Is commuting an issue with respect to traffic?

Wife is sick of cooler weather, and the Austin area seems like a pretty good place to set up camp.
Old    davec            05-27-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Crazy that I was just wondering the same thing. I hear great things about Austin.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Yeah, I've already found a couple of houses in the Lake travis area that look good. Selling my house and buying there leaves me enough cash to buy the used 226TE at Houston Watersports too!

Talk about the mother of all impulse buys!

Eric
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-27-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
check out www.360wakeboard.com

Lakeway is where you want to be. Not that I know, but I have done my research.
Old     (scottie4421)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-27-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
What's up fellas,

I moved to Austin about 2 years ago. It's a great town! The traffic is hell during the school year. You definitely have to put some thought into where you live in relation to your work. It takes me about 45 minutes to go 6 miles.

Lakeway is a very nice area. All of the lakefront properties in Austin are high dollar, but if you have the cash..no issue. You'd probably be looking at at least 450K for a shack on lake Austin.

It is a little difficult to find good water to ride. You need to be out at 7 a.m. and be off by 11 or so. It's nice to have Lake Austin & Lake Travis close by, but everyone has a boat. Lake Austin is more of a river and get's like a bathtub full of 2 year olds by 11 a.m. Lake Travis is bigger, but get's the same way. If you get out in the middle during a crowded day, it can get pretty scary...huge waves.

Austin is a great party town. Head down to 6th street during the weekends and you'll find good times.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-29-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
I'm from Dallas but I know there is a pretty big wakeboarding scene in Austin. Both Lake Austin and Lake Travis are popular wakeboarding spots as well as the Perd (river). Also, the only cable park in Texas is just outside of Austin on the way to San Antonio. No matter what, Austin is a cool city with plenty of riding opportunities.