Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    tclagggym            04-04-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
Picked up new boat today and when I was doing walk through found a little ding in the boat.It was a line about 1in. long, 1/16 wide. Dealer said no problem they can fix it,sand it, gel color match etc. My question is will it really be ok in the long run?
Thanks

Tim
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
happens all the time except they try to catch it before you do

how deep was it?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-04-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
If they do it right... should be no problem.

Old    sprucie            04-04-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
Had a crack in my gelcoat from flexing. I can't tell where the crack was after the fiberglass shop got done with it. They have colormatched gelcoat and sometimes they can just buff out the scratch.

Don't sweat it.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
If it's a Nautique as you list in your profile, then it shouldn't be any problem. Correct Craft is known for putting their gelcoat on thick so, you can just sand and buff and it looks better than new.

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com

Also for sale:
http://home.surewest.net/cfoye/96sportnautique/96sportnautique.htm
Old    driftwood            04-04-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Gelcoats are easy fixes for dealers - they'll color match, do everything necessary - and you will never be able to find it when they are done
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-04-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Get them to write you a note promising to perform further repair if their repair fails in any way (physical or cosmetic).
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-04-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
Just my opinion, but I would inquire as to how many "glass jobs" your dealer has done in the past? Hate to see them try and save some money by letting some shop assistant take wet sandpaper and buffing compound to your new boat. How do they warranty their work? There are quite a few variables that go into correctly repairing and manicuring a gel-coat--even a ding as miniscule as you mentioned. Do they know the process? (request that info) "Sandbag and "Sprucie" said it best; this type of work needs to be done "right" and should be done at a "fiberglass shop." With the long-term investment associated with comp boats these days, you have every right to request that your dealer deliver the "NEW" boat--you handsomely paid for. May seem insignificant now, but think later down the road when trying to sell and your prospect asks you about that faded, mismatched, warped spot on the deck or hull of your boat and you have to try and explain to them that was a repair the dealer did when you purchased....
Good luck!
Old    tclagggym            04-04-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone who posted. I feel much better about it.
And yes it is a 2003 SAN.At first I didn't make a deal out of it, but then I just started thinking about it more and more.But I talked to the dealer and he made me feel alot better and so did your comments. Thanks

Tim