Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Hi Guys,

Currently have a 2008 SANTE 210 and thinking of going to a 2006-2011 Star after riding Moye's 2011 at The Boarding School - I love my 210, but the wake behind the Star just really clicked for me, more so than any other wake I've ridden before. Before getting serious about one, had a few questions since I've only be in a Star once.

1. Which Year: Any model years through 2006 - 2011 that I should stay away from?

2. Motor/Prop: Which motor shouId I be looking at in the Star and prop to run with it? My '08 210 has the 343ExCal and Fly High piggyback system - does just fine with the upgraded 1235 Acme 14.5 prop. With the Star, I would like to add the 1100lb sacs to the rear and 400lb sacs upfront (how Moye has his set-up....I'm not good enough to ride that much weight, but would still like to have enough power to haul it if I ever wanted to).

3. Zero Off Upgrade: Do the Stars have the same porpoising issue as the SANTE 210/230's when you put in the Fly High kit? My 210 and friend's 230 need the Zero Off antenna and software upgrade after putting on the bigger 1235 Acme prop and adding Fly High to keep the front from oscillating up and down when riding.

4. Stock X-Star Wake: Everything I've ever read on WW and heard about X-Stars is that they have to be ballasted out to get a wake worth riding (Factory ballast doesnt cut it). At the camp, we rode it with 6 peeps in the boat, 500lbs of lead tucked in the nose, and zero ballast (tanks empty, Fly High empty) - I thought the wake was incredible (bigger than my SANTE 210 with factory ballast and Fly High full - total about 2,500lbs). The wake seemed plenty big and had great pop. Am I missing something or do other people agree that the wake is just fine with stock ballast (I figured we had about 1,500lbs of weight in the boat between 6 people and the 500lbs of lead in the nose). I think factory ballast on a Star is around 1,200lbs, although I could be wrong.

5. Zero Flex Tower: Can the Zero Flex Tower be lowered with just one person and does it fold down low enough to clear a standard 7'1" garage door opening? My 210 has the Titan stainless tower that I can fold down easily by myself and clears my garage door.

I think that's it - appreciate any info/commentary that people can share.

Thanks
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-31-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
I loved riding behind his XStar...do understand though that he has the 7.4L in his.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
1. I wouldn't stay away from any of those years in particular. If you can find a 2008 40th anniversery though buy it. Sickest looking boat ever made. In 06 they didn't have the LY6 but the LQ9 which was a liquid cooled caddy motor I believe. I could be wrong but it has soem special block that is really expensive to replace if something goes wrong so I might research that a bit more if it were me. 07 to 10 or 11 had the tower that needs braces I am pretty sure. I like 07 because it didn't have any screen at all. Just round gauges and the perfect pass was part of that. I am not sure but I don't htink 06 had ballast timers. In the 07 and newer ones they do and you have to mess with the timers so the piggy back system fills.

2. LY6 would be my preference as I have heard the 8.1L have problems burning oil. Again, might need to do more research to confirm that.

3. Not sure

4. The consensus on here is that the boat needs extra weight. I am sure some of it is wake snobs(nothing wrong with being a wake snob) but some may be true as well. I sure as hell don't think you are going to be dissapointed with the wake if you put 750-1100's in the rear plus 400's in the front although you may need another 750 or more in the bow if you are going to fill 750's or bigger in the rear.

5. The tower can be lowered but it isn't by any stretch of the imagination the easiest. There are 8 knobs that need to be loosened or removed to lower. At least on the 2007 and newer tower. Not sure about the garage fit but it is going to be really close. I think the mastercraft brand trailers are a little taller then some so that may result in a problem.

Go look at the thread about the 40th xstar. So beautiful.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, that is a valid point. I think that 7.4 Ilmore has something like 550HP - it is a gorilla engine for sure. For clarification, are you pointing out the engine because it is heavier than other engine options (thus giving a bigger wake) or that its gonna take a monster engine like that to haul 1100lb sacs in the rear and 400lb sacs upfront?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
i have a 2005 xstar with the 8.1 litre and acme 2243 prop

i have the custom x star sacs for the rear lockers and under the front seats. 1100s in the back wont fill all the way. the xstar sacs fill the entire rear compartments and will lift the front seats up when full.

alot of people say the 8.1 has oil burning problems, but i really havent ran across this issue at all. the engines a beast and gets on plane with 5000 lbs easily

the 05 tower fits in my 7 foot garage but you have to remove the top two allen screws instead of the hand screws. the newer towers are a pain in the @ss.

and 2005 doesnt have ballast timers

heres my wake
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-31-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
My experience:
you get a bigger/steeper wake with the 8.1.
my buddys 8.1 had lots(understatment) of issues. Was in and out of the shop pretty much all year 1st & 2nd year of its life(all warranty) - ended up trading her in for the LY6.
His LY6 has been mostly problem free - but we cant achive the same wake as the 8.1 even adding more weight than we did in the 8.1.
The star def needs ALOT of weight to get a mackin wake. Just internal ballast and peeps - no good.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       05-31-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
An Xstar with 500lbs in the nose and no ballast at all had a bigger wake than a 210 with ballast full? I love both boats, both wakes, but that I find a bit tough to get my head around.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
D Ave - I agree, hard to believe and it might just be my perception. But the Star wake seemed meatier and bigger (although not as steep) to me than my 2008 210 with factory ballast full/Fly High full/no peeps in the boat (way I usually ride it). The wake in my 210 is still big, just didn't feel as big as the Star. Maybe Moye had more than just 500lbs in lead in there, but that's what he said was in the boat when I asked him and the ballast gauges were all reading empty each time I rode. There was a 20 year old kid there from Japan (unfortunately, I can't even begin to know how to spell his name - super nice kid) at the camp who had just signed with Hyperlite. He got factory ballast and full Fly High when he rode - kid was working on switch cro-mo 5's......sickiest rider I've ever seen in person.....was like he was doing a different sport than me.
Old    mojo            05-31-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
make sure you at least get the mcx engine if not larger. go with a 14.25x14.5 prop(i might have gone dislexic on those numbers). the 09 star i rode in recently had the stock ballast full and then the "pro tour" system on top of that; which i think is just a wake makers add-on.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew14 View Post
D Ave - I agree, hard to believe and it might just be my perception. But the Star wake seemed meatier and bigger (although not as steep) to me than my 2008 210 with factory ballast full/Fly High full/no peeps in the boat (way I usually ride it). The wake in my 210 is still big, just didn't feel as big as the Star. Maybe Moye had more than just 500lbs in lead in there, but that's what he said was in the boat when I asked him and the ballast gauges were all reading empty each time I rode. There was a 20 year old kid there from Japan (unfortunately, I can't even begin to know how to spell his name - super nice kid) at the camp who had just signed with Hyperlite. He got factory ballast and full Fly High when he rode - kid was working on switch cro-mo 5's......sickiest rider I've ever seen in person.....was like he was doing a different sport than me.
Are you talking about Shota? If so he just signed with Ronix didnt' he?
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
hey if you get an xstar with the 6lt engine make sure you get the 14.75 x 13 OJ propellor it will get it up on the plane no problems at all. Thats the prop they where using on the Pro Tour boat last year, same prop we run on Harleys boat.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-31-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Just putting it out there...I have a buddy if Im not mistaken looking to unload his 40th anniversary Xstar with low hours.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Polarbill - Not Shota (seen him ride before too at the PWT - kid throws down). This kid's name was Tashiki (spelling?) and he doesn't live here in the US - lives and rides back in Japan. Moye said he is definitely good enough to ride on the PWT though. He's 20 years old and said he had been riding since he was 10 - said that he rides behind a Supra back home.

Polarbill/Migs/Mojo - Thanks a ton for the intel.

1. I agree 100% on the 40th anniversary Star. That boat looks so money.....I think the 2007 all black PWT Star is completely sick too. I would assume that the 2008 40th anniversary has Zero Off instead of Perfect Pass - can anyone confirm that? My 2008 210 has ZO (first year for it) and I like it over Perfect Pass. Regarding the ballast timers, instead of adjusting them, can you just run multiple cycles to fill the factory, then the Fly High? I have to run two cycles on my 210...first one fills factory, second one fills my Fly High.

2. Sounds like the LY6 might be the way to go, although I do like that the 8.1 weighs more (helps with the wake as Migs pointed out). I've heard of people packing 1000lbs of lead in behind the motor to help with the wake (because the engine is so far forward in a star). So that might be an option too with the LY6. I've also heard that the 8.1 drinks gas like crazy, where as the LY6 is much easier on the gas budget (my PCM is incredibly efficient....uses a fraction of the gas that my 5.7L Indmar did in my first MC - X5 DD).

3. Sounds like this boat needs some additional weight - so it would get the Fly High for sure (I don't ride with a big crew - 3 people max in the boat when I am riding, so I'll need something over stock to achieve a similiar wake to what I was riding at the Camp).

4. On the tower, 8 knobs? Wow....okay, even if it did lower down enough to fit into my garage, might be more trouble than its worth. I'd probably get a full cover for it and store it outside then.

Any idea when 2006-2011 Stars will start coming down in price as a result of the new 2013 Star? Is MC planning on going back to the drawing board due to the wake issues or is it a go for production on the 2013? When are they suppose to hit the dealers?

Thanks guys
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
Bill - thank you for the tip on the Prop. Is that the new 5 - blade prop from OJ? At the camp, they were running that prop on their Star. That thing had an unreal holeshot (I'm sure the 7.4L Ilmore had something to do with it too), even when it was fully loaded for the pro level rider in the boat. The second day I was at the camp, the boat actually slung a blade off of the OJ and it beat up the underside of the hull pretty good (2-3 gashes all the way through the gel coat to the fiber matt looking stuff). The other 4 blades all had stress cracks on them too (we looked when it was back on the trailer). What would cause that to happen - bad batch of props (maybe had poorer quality metal)?
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-31-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Maybe I am too conservative or something, but you already have a great boat with a great wake. Why go to the expense and hassle of changing boats? This is something that you should have done prior to purchasing the boat you have now. You are in the prime of your life and the economy is arguably one of the worst in US history. I own a boat, but couldn't justify having it if I had to. Moye's boat is a business expense and will require repair/replacement much sooner than an average person could ever afford, as such it is also outfitted in a manner that will return the most on his investment, the cost to operate it is high. I think you are crazy and should just be thankful for what you have. Now understand, I'm probably just an old fogey, and don't understand, but if your profile is correct, you are 33 and are well past your prime wakeboarding years. If you are not already, I doubt you will be going pro any time soon. My dad would kick my butt for even thinking like you are. Maybe you should think about upgrading your other equipment, your profile sales your riding a board and bindings that are over five years old.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-31-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
http://wakeboardingmag.com/manufactu...shiki-ripping/

Him.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
Tucker - really? This forum is suppose to be about enjoying the sport, sharing ideas, experiences, etc, not hijacking someone's thread and hating on the poster of it - this is the first post I've made in over a year and I have to deal with this crap? Anyway, probably like a lot of people on here, I work 80-110 hours a week to afford the things I have. If I couldn't have a boat and live on the lake, my current career wouldn't be worth it to me and I would do something else that allows for a better work/life balance - but, wakeboarding/boating with friends and family is what I enjoy more than anything, so the "expense and hassle" of owning a boat, changing boats, etc. is worth it to me because I enjoy it that much. I agree, I do have an incredible boat and I am extemely fortunate to have it - if it is the last boat I ever have or if it is taken away tomorrow, I would be thankful for the time I had with it (most people aren't as fortunate and I am aware of that, so I don't take it for granted). Furthermore, I usually get a different car every couple of years too.....not because I need to, but because its fun and a process that I enjoy - and one that doesn't hurt anyone. I don't have to justify anything to you, so I'm done.

Johnny - yep, that's him. This looks like it was filmed at The Boarding School. He was there for an entire month and I was there when his Hyperlite equipment was coming in from Washington. The FedEx truck was dropping off boxes like crazy....he was like a little kid on Christmas, everyone was very happy for him. Watching him ride, you can tell that he is really having a good time (smiles his entire set - I would too if I could rip like that!) - everyone at the camp is really pulling for him and I hope he continues to do well. He is an incredibly humble and polite kid - he definitely deserves the success he has had.
Old    mojo            05-31-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
IMO the 07+ 210 wake is very similar to the xstar except it's got that hard packed nauti wake. From what I've gathered, most older slalom guys like ok and most newer school dudes like acme. The size I mentioned, is what Zane uses(or at least did use) on his star.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Mojo. If Zane was running that prop, then its probably a good one to go with. Do some MC's come with Acmes and some come with OJs, or does MC exclusively use OJ? I'm not sure what my 2000 MC X-5 had on it, but I've been very happy with the Acmes on my CC. That new 5 blade OJ prop has me intriqued though.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-31-2012, 6:06 PM Reply   
I didn't hijack your thread, you asked for input, so I gave you mine. If you don't like it, that's up to you... I didn't ask for you to justify it to me. I think you have thin skin and need to man up and take the good input with the real honest, hard to swallow input...

I give my opinion as a profession and when I ask for input I don't want just want people to tell me how great my idea is, I want know what people honestly think. I then take that info analysis it and come up with my own decision.

I think you post regarding mine was childish, ill conceived, and warrants an apology to me...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-31-2012, 6:39 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure I saw this same kid ride back in the fall with Travis at TBS. kid can def rip it up!
Old    mojo            05-31-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what prop mc usually uses oem, but I do believe mr. Moye has a relationship with oj.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-31-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
MC stock prop is OJ
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-31-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I'm not sure what prop mc usually uses oem, but I do believe mr. Moye has a relationship with oj.
True
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-31-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker_McElroy View Post
I didn't hijack your thread, you asked for input, so I gave you mine. If you don't like it, that's up to you... I didn't ask for you to justify it to me. I think you have thin skin and need to man up and take the good input with the real honest, hard to swallow input...

I give my opinion as a profession and when I ask for input I don't want just want people to tell me how great my idea is, I want know what people honestly think. I then take that info analysis it and come up with my own decision.

I think you post regarding mine was childish, ill conceived, and warrants an apology to me...
i am pretty tired right now, but this must be a joke. im pretty sure the OP asked for advice on a particular boat, not advice on his chosen lifestyle. if you dont have any input on the topic, crawl back into your hole. and yes, you DID hijack his thread. Moron.

and no, i wont apologize to you.....
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-31-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
BS! He has a really dumb idea and didn't do his homework originally...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-01-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker_McElroy View Post
BS! He has a really dumb idea and didn't do his homework originally...
Back two months and already being an ******* again.. Surprise surprise!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
Andrew I can see that. The 210 typically thrrows a steeper (taller) and narrower wake. Pretty much the reason I love it because you can ride 80' all day long and still get into the flats. I can see the Xstar wake being more rampy and wider and I have to admit landings are a little more forgiving behind the star due to the rampyness (dont think thats a word lol). Definitely wasn't saying your wrong, just was shocked when I read it but I can see now where you're comming from. I think they put a video on alliance or one of the websites of that kid from Japan that just signed with Hyperlite. Look around, its a good vid and the kid def kills it.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
Not taking a shot at you Tucker but what is your purpose on this website? Your profile doesnt have anything to do with water sports from what I gathered. Under board and binding you have some wierd saying that your "not into that kinky stuff". You have every right to express your opinion regarding the boat and matter at hand, but where do you have the right to question how much he wakebaords, or if he is passed his prime? So being in your 30's means your past your prime or not good enough to switch boats. Shoot, Im slightly biased and probably would keep the 210 over the Xstar but I'm not bashing the guy or saying he's making a mistake. Guy worked for his money, earned it, and he can do whatever he wants with it even if it mean going to an Xstar. Pretty sure he didnt ask your advice regarding his lifestyle and he sure as hell didn't ask your dad either. Everyone was raised different, has different needs, and makes a different income. Just because your experiences are different doesnt give you the right to tell him he's passed his prime or he has a dumb idea. If he's got the financing to do it who cares!
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-01-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Andrew, Out of curiosity.. How are you weighting your 08 210? I split time evenly behind an 08 210 and my 01 210 and love them both. However, if the 08 is not weighted down the way I like it, or i.e. just has the stock ballast, I am not a fan at all. You can really change that wake a lot with some different weighting options.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-01-2012, 7:14 AM Reply   
And btw I understand you're asking about the Xstar (which I don't have much input on) but before making the switch I was just wondering if you had tried out some different options behind your current boat.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-01-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
LR3 - agreed, Toshiki can throw down for sure. Thanks for coming up with the link Johnny - that video is pretty cool.

Yes, the guys at the camp said that Moye does some work with OJ and I think even tries out prototype props for them, then reports back on their performance. They said there is a stack of new props at the school so they can just swap them out if one gets dinged or goes out on them.

One other thing I noticed about the Star is that it can run in shallower water than the 210s/230s without the wake being affected. My 210 and my neighbors 230 need atleast 12-15 feet of water for the wake to not be impacted, where as I saw 7'-8' all day long on the depth gauge of the Star and the wake was not getting smaller or rounded off. I wonder if it has something to do with how flat the bottom is on a Star, where as the 210 and for sure the 230 have more of a V-shape to their hull. My lake has some great coves for riding in, but they are usually around 10 feet deep.....so this aspect of the Star also appealed to me.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
Andrew did you see the wake at 12-15 feet (depth) on the Xstar? Wondering if maybe it would have been even bigger in deeper water and you possibly just didnt have anything to compare it to. Also, the Xstar is a great boat man but some of the older ones had a lot of ballast issues. The pumps lock up pretty easy but it is a simple fix you just need to swap out the impellers for self lubricating ones (believe oil based). Also the older sending units went bad as well. Other than that (I used to sell MC's) the Xstar is a solid boat and a great wake and will retain it's value. My only recommendation is buy 08 and newer. I believe the 05's and maybe 06's used Polk Audio for the stereo and the newer Xstars used JL. Audio prob isnt a huge factor for you but I would think you'd protect your investment a bit more if you found a good deal on a newer Xstar.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-01-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Travis Moye is a stand up guy and speaks the truth. So if he said x amount of lead was in the boat its exactly as he said. I have never ridden behind a star till I road behind ole Bandit at TBS. Its wake with just people in the boat was bigger than the 08 210 I road in with factory ballast. In fact it scared me. Now keep in mind I am a beginner-int rider. I think the star is a bigger and heavier boat as well. However if I could own one of the two it would be the 210 just a bit more family oriented in my opinion.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-01-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
All JL Audio from 2005 to this day
The hull is the same from 2004 to2011
went to fly by wire in 05 and swivel board rack
06 has better interior materials, different toggle switches
07 better tower easier to fold down only 4 knobs for back half and two knobs for front half
08 led display and interior materials vinyl change, graphics
09 basically same as 08
2010 more led display and controls, different interior materials, Ilmor or Indmar engine choice
2011 optional power tower, Ilmor engine only
Cant go wrong with any XStar 06 and newer
for every year change you can count on a min of $5k additional to your cost
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
MCXSTAR I literally just sold an 05 Xstar two weeks ago. All Polk Audio. Not sure if maybe the owner did this or if it was swapped out, but that's what I was basing that on. When I worked direct for an MC dealer it was in 08 so not as familiar with the audio systems in the earlier models. Great post though, feel like that will really help him.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-01-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
Are there any 04s out there that people are happy with?
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
My 2 cents... IMO, age has nothing to do with a person's right to do what they wish with thier lives & $$. If we can afford a new boat every year, Kodos to them. Im 44 years old and still progressing as a wakeboarder, age is not slowing me down! Sure I dont plan on competing in the PWT but I can still have fun at other levels and at my pace and most important, for my own ejoyment. Like the OP. im in a position that I have the means to make my own decisions on what boat I want to use regardless of price.

As far as choosing between your existing and a Star. I think the best advice would be to go for what you gut tells you. Sure the wake is very important, but equally is what you think of the overall package. I have not boarded behind a SAN, so I cant tell you how the wake compares, but assuming they are equivelant (give or take), I personally would go with the Star as IMO I just think the Star looks way better and its a 100% purpose built wakeboard boat that, to quote "The MasterCraft X-Star has one of the most impressive résumés in all of wakeboarding. It has been the official tow boat of the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour for more than a decade and has pulled more professional events than any other boat in wakeboarding history" (Water Ski Magazine).

Either way, Im sure you will make the right decision. Good luck
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-01-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
I have had almost every year listed above. in addition to what they have said;

The tower changed after 06. If you get an 07, make sure that the tower braces were added. Every year after they came on the tower.

From 06 to 09 I went with the MCX in my boats. I was not adding that much extra weight to my boats as my kids were young. But even when we did add additional sacks the motor did fine.

On my 2011 I went with the six liter and it has been great. The amount of weight that I typically run is stock ballast plus the plug and play system. It never skips a beat.

My personal favorite has been the 2011 because I like the display and I think that the vinyl has been superior.

Like everyone has said, you really cant go wrong with any of the years listed.

MY GIRLS just took a moment of silence to thank the Lord that they were born into our family and not Tuckers! J/K
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-01-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
Cameron - I weight my 2008 210 the following way: Factory Ballast full (900lbs), two 400lbs in the rear lockers, a 350lb Tube Sac in the ski locker, and the 650lb Integrated Sac under the bow seats. The integrated sac only fills about half way since there is not much room under the seats, so I had to add the Tube Sac in the ski locker to ge the nose of the boat down (it was porpoising pretty bad without - could also having something to do with my ZO antenna and software have not been upgraded). So, call it 900lbs of Factory Ballast, 1500lbs of Fly High (integrated sac half full) for a total ballast of 2400lbs. Since I only have the 343Excal engine, I stayed away from putting 750lbs in the rear lockers (they will fit) - I've heard of guys with the ZR6 engine going with the 750lbs. I feel I've got it dialed about as well as can expected for the 343Excal engine - the boat is sitting down in the water pretty good with that ballast set up and the wake is plenty big. Regarding changing around with the weight set up to get a different shape wake, from talking to a few pro riders and through my limited experience, not much can be done about the overall shape of the wake - the hull dictates that (can obviously make it a little steeper or mellower by shifting ballast around front/rear, but nothing drastic). My 210 wake is definitely a great wake, I just found the X-Star wake much easier for me to ride given my current skill level (it felt more user friendly to me as far as trying to time it due to the wake being more gradual and not as vert - even though the 2007+ 210 wake is no where near as vert as the OG 210s).

D Ave - Good question. The deepest part of TBS's lake that I saw read on the depth guage was 9 feet....so never was able to see the Star's wake any deeper than that. Maybe it would have been bigger, but it was still pretty lippy at 7-8 feet which leads me to believe it wasn't being compromised at all. When my boat encounters 14-15 feet or less, the top of the wake starts to become "rounder" the shallower you go. The deepest part of my lake is only 53 feet and thats in front of the dam (majority of the lake is 13-18 feet), so a boat that runs well in shallower water has started to cross my mind as I explore my options. Also thanks a ton for the advice on going 2008 and newer - if you use to sell MC's, then you obviously know what you're talking about. I was thinking of staying 2008 or newer anyway because I would like to have Zero Off rather than Perfect Pass. I assume the 2008s and newer have ZO and the 2007s and older have PP - thats how it is for the CC's anyway.

Tampa Wake - 100% agree about T. Moye. He is a stand up guy without question, really knows his stuff and has a geniune interest in helping people improve their skillset - also pretty fun to hang out with in the boat (great sense of humor). What was Ole Bandit? Was it one of his former Stars? Also agree with the 210 being a better family boat - the cabin area of the Star is tiny even compared to my 21' 210 and I've heard that the Stars do not surf as well either. However, I am married with no kids and rarely surf, so a hardcore wakeboat with a wake that works with my riding style/intermediate ability is most important to me.

Snork - great recap of each year, very helpful. I'd love to have one with the Ilmore, but a 2010/2011 might be a little out of my budget. Any idea on when the 2013 new hull Stars will be at the dealerships and the 2006-2011's will come down in price as a result?

Appreciate all of the help! Learning a ton over here.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-01-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'm do not believe that the 2013's hitting dealer floors will do anything negatively to the price of the older stars!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
Andrew no problem, I do believe in 08 MC was still using PP though (its been awhile so need to refresh my memory), but 08 and newer has the VDIG dash display which is pretty clutch to have. Also the graphics in 08 were pretty sweet as well but thats just opinion over fact.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think the 2008 came with either PP or ZO. There is a youtube vid of a 2008 40th Star for sale and it has a Perfect Pass button. So perhaps ZO was an option and PP was standard.?.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-01-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
The wake on the XStar is definately bigger in deeper water. I rode behind the PWT boat a couple years ago with Rusty Malinoski at a demo event at a deep lake and then rode at TBS the following summer at the new Projects location. Wake was obviuously awesome on both occasions, but in deep water, the wake is beefy!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
Bryan don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure MC went to ZO in 2009
Old    mojo            06-01-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
don't be fooled by throttle by wire. there's still shift linkage.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-01-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Are there any 04s out there that people are happy with?
I'm happy with my 2004 - original owner / 500 hours / LQ9 / Pro-tour Ballast / ACME 1285 prop
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-01-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm do not believe that the 2013's hitting dealer floors will do anything negatively to the price of the older stars!

Awe, man! I was hoping that the new Star would knock the price down some on the previous hull models. Is that not the case because the 2013 Star will be so much more expensive ($100K+) and its wake has been questioned?

Adam - Any idea what the ballast set-up was when you were riding with Rusty at the demo event? I bet that thing was pretty sacked out - that guy goes huge!

Does PP have any major drawbacks? I really only have experience with ZO and I've been pretty happy with it - so wondering if I would be spoiled for PP.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-01-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Yeah Bandit was the boat prior to the green one. It was gold metal flake Travis called Bandit. I rode with them their last set at the old place before the move to the projects. They got the word that day they were moving. In fact last set Murray and Ratray drove while Travis started packing the house. I have an old school X star. Yeah I am a family guy and the 210 would be a perfect fit for me. If you can afford it and want a Star go for it. Sounds like you have gotten good info. I am not brand oriented and think you cant go wrong with either boat. Good luck and take a picture when you get the new boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew14 View Post
Cameron - I weight my 2008 210 the following way: Factory Ballast full (900lbs), two 400lbs in the rear lockers, a 350lb Tube Sac in the ski locker, and the 650lb Integrated Sac under the bow seats. The integrated sac only fills about half way since there is not much room under the seats, so I had to add the Tube Sac in the ski locker to ge the nose of the boat down (it was porpoising pretty bad without - could also having something to do with my ZO antenna and software have not been upgraded). So, call it 900lbs of Factory Ballast, 1500lbs of Fly High (integrated sac half full) for a total ballast of 2400lbs. Since I only have the 343Excal engine, I stayed away from putting 750lbs in the rear lockers (they will fit) - I've heard of guys with the ZR6 engine going with the 750lbs. I feel I've got it dialed about as well as can expected for the 343Excal engine - the boat is sitting down in the water pretty good with that ballast set up and the wake is plenty big. Regarding changing around with the weight set up to get a different shape wake, from talking to a few pro riders and through my limited experience, not much can be done about the overall shape of the wake - the hull dictates that (can obviously make it a little steeper or mellower by shifting ballast around front/rear, but nothing drastic). My 210 wake is definitely a great wake, I just found the X-Star wake much easier for me to ride given my current skill level (it felt more user friendly to me as far as trying to time it due to the wake being more gradual and not as vert - even though the 2007+ 210 wake is no where near as vert as the OG 210s).

D Ave - Good question. The deepest part of TBS's lake that I saw read on the depth guage was 9 feet....so never was able to see the Star's wake any deeper than that. Maybe it would have been bigger, but it was still pretty lippy at 7-8 feet which leads me to believe it wasn't being compromised at all. When my boat encounters 14-15 feet or less, the top of the wake starts to become "rounder" the shallower you go. The deepest part of my lake is only 53 feet and thats in front of the dam (majority of the lake is 13-18 feet), so a boat that runs well in shallower water has started to cross my mind as I explore my options. Also thanks a ton for the advice on going 2008 and newer - if you use to sell MC's, then you obviously know what you're talking about. I was thinking of staying 2008 or newer anyway because I would like to have Zero Off rather than Perfect Pass. I assume the 2008s and newer have ZO and the 2007s and older have PP - thats how it is for the CC's anyway.

Tampa Wake - 100% agree about T. Moye. He is a stand up guy without question, really knows his stuff and has a geniune interest in helping people improve their skillset - also pretty fun to hang out with in the boat (great sense of humor). What was Ole Bandit? Was it one of his former Stars? Also agree with the 210 being a better family boat - the cabin area of the Star is tiny even compared to my 21' 210 and I've heard that the Stars do not surf as well either. However, I am married with no kids and rarely surf, so a hardcore wakeboat with a wake that works with my riding style/intermediate ability is most important to me.

Snork - great recap of each year, very helpful. I'd love to have one with the Ilmore, but a 2010/2011 might be a little out of my budget. Any idea on when the 2013 new hull Stars will be at the dealerships and the 2006-2011's will come down in price as a result?

Appreciate all of the help! Learning a ton over here.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Andrew- All the pros absolutely sack out there boats. I've been out on Zane's boat a few times and theres 3 sacks up in the nose alone lol, but the wake is by far one of the biggest I've ridden. As far as PP honestly there are a lot of draw backs. Speed fluctuates through turns, through choppy water, and if you have a lot of weight in the boat. Zero Off on the other hand is GPS based as you know and you just can't go wrong with GPS. You may even look into just swaping out units. My buddy here in Orlandao had problem after problem with his PP due to all the weight in his Malibu (he rides the pro tour). He ordered an aftermarket GPS based speed control system for a reasonable price and from my understanding it pretty much plugs right in. He did it himself. So I don't think you would need to keep bumping up year models just to get a GPS based speed control. Just food for thought and hopefully save you some money. Another thing is that I honestly don't think the new Xstar will have any impact on the old Xstar's price, good or bad. If you shop and find the right people, there will always be good deals out their regardless of a new model or not. Just put in the foot work like you already are.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-01-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Tampa - gotcha. Now I know what boat you are talking about. I remember seeing pics of it on here when he had it - I think it didn't have decals either. Rattray coached me as well along with Langley - those guys are freaking halirious.....had a blast the day they coached us (I went for two days - can't wait to go back for longer). I agree, I've definitely gotten some good info here - wouldn't have gotten it over at Planet Nautique, that's for sure! I'll make sure to post up some pics when I'm able to make the move - gotta sell my 210 first
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-01-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
Andrew are you in North Carolina? If you can't find a local buyer or don't feel like dealing with the whole craigslist bs shoot me a PM. Might be able to help you out.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-01-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrivermike View Post
MY GIRLS just took a moment of silence to thank the Lord that they were born into our family and not Tuckers! J/K
I hear you there... incest is not good, but tell them I am already taken!
Old    mojo            06-01-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
First of all you have to adjust perfect pass. Secondly, zero off does have its issues ala clouds, bridges, current, etc. thirdly, you can actually have both like the 09 star I was recently in.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-01-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Mojo - when you say both for the 2009 Star, are you saying that it was an option to have one or the other (PP or ZO)?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrivermike View Post
"negatively", that depends on what side of the xstar you are on, buying or selling it. I am thinking with the new 2013 xstar coming out, the old xstar will go up in value. That boat is legendary and they are not going to produce it anymore.
Old    mojo            06-01-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
All I know is that it looks absolutely factory option. There's a button by the horn that puts the vdig or whatever directly to the perfect pass screen. It also has zero off. Assumingly bc some days gps just isn't going to work efficiently.
Old    mojo            06-01-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   

Zoom in and u can see the button at about 7:30
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have a 2008 X-star. One of the best wakes out there. MCX Engine. I run around 3k of ballast. 130 hours. Red and white. Loaded out. For Sale in Knoxville, Tennessee if your interested!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
One thing no one has touched on is running costs, ime the star uses significantly more gas than the san210 for a similar sized wake. That may or may not be important to you but its good to know in advance.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-06-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
D-Ave - yes, I'm in Charlotte, NC. I will probably be putting my boat up for sale sometime right after 4th of July. I'll hit you up around then.

Mojo - thanks for the pic. I see what you are talking about.....that's a pretty cool feature that I never knew existed on any boat.

Brad - if you have any pics of your 2008 Star, please send them over.

Darren - valid point on the gas consumption. One of the main reasons why I went for a SANTE 210 was for the PCM and fuel efficency. My previous boat was an Indmar MC and it burned what seems like twice the fuel as my PCM. That being said, I know that I would be in for it again in the fuel cost department by going back to MC (and now with gas prices out the roof). However, I am now fortunate enough to have meet some more people in my area and have a riding crew in my neighborhood of 3-4 other guys all with boats and we rotate every weekend.....so my boat only gets used 1-2 times a month and fuel consumption isn't as big of an issue with me anymore.

Does anyone know if the Ilmore's are suppose to be better on fuel consumption than the Indmar's that MC use to go with? Just curious.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-06-2012, 9:01 PM Reply   
What about warranty? Does your CC currently have the lifetime hull warranty? Can you get that with a used MC? Just a thought...
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-07-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
Not too worried about a lifetime hull warranty (only looking to keep the boat a couple of years). I do feel that CC is slightly a better boat (just my opinion afer owning both brands - I don't think you can go wrong with all of the major brands though......CC/MC/Bu/Supra/MB....after a while, it just becomes personal preference on features, styling, wake shape, etc.), but MC is still a fine boat and I'm really just after that X-Star wake because the shape works for my riding style/ability.....everything else is secondary to me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-07-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
"you get a bigger/steeper wake with the 8.1." Absolutely.

The 6 liter is the engine to get though. the 8.1 will be in the shop. I love that motor, but it's true.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-07-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input on the 6.0L vs the 8.1L J-Rod. I wonder if a boat with a 6.0L could have led packed in behind the motor (I've heard of people packing 1,000lbs of lead back there) to offset the lighter weight of it?

Regarding the Ilmore engines, is there an engine to get or to stay away from? That 7.4L is a machine.....sounds pretty awesome too.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-21-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=33705
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-21-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
You won't be disappointed with the LY6. My brother's has that motor and is a tank. It's an 08 and it has PP.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-21-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
As much as I love our 04 with the 8.1L, I'm nervous as hell with how well it will hold up in the next few years that we have it. I would definitely try to get a new one with an Ilmor engine... they're really good motors. Our motor blew up the muffler after the inlet hose came undone at one of the connections for I think the shower, so that sucked. Other than that, no problems and I'm trying to stay optimistic. If I were you I would go newer and try to get one with a good Ilmor engine... they're great motors.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-23-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
J.B can you post a pic of where you break your tower to fit it in your 7' garage door? Im not sure what bolt your talking about. I may be getting an 06 and believe it has the same tower as the 05 and would like to get it in my 7' garage also. Thanks!