Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-23-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
If I had a zx750.1 amp and wanted to run two Pro 80s I'm guessing that if I hooked both of those up to the amp it would be a 2 ohm load on the amp. Would that in theory make it 375 watts to each speaker?

What are the downsides/upsides to doing this?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-23-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
you will get better sound disperstion to the rider.

when you go to any type of concert (except non amplified). you are listening in mono...

keep in mind the listening apex is reversed with the rider 80' out.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-23-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
Frank,

You can run a pair of tower speakers mono. But NOT on that amp. The zx750.1 is a mono block subwoofer only amp. So it will not work to power tower speakers. Only for subwoofers as it only produces low freq and only has a sub low pass crossover.

You will want to run an amp that can power around 200 watts rms to each PRO 80. We run our SYN-2 that is 200x2

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (deltabri)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-23-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
I dont think this amp has a high-pass filter. I think the Pro 80s need the filter. You would have to get an additional x-over. Your ohm and wattage calc is correct. The THD will increase when it is running at 2 ohms also.

There are alot of people running the Zapco 1100.1 to their NVS pods and the Pro 485's. But that amp has a high pass filter.

So as far as running a mono amp to your towers, it is being done out there.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-23-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
There are only a few mono amps that can perform that task.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-23-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
THE ZAPCO 1100.1 IS THE SHI-ATT!!! Yup, I was yelling. We're running 4 in our boat right now. Killer amps. Mixxed mono for the whole boat is where it's at. Try it. You'll never want stereo again.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-24-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
Frank-

Tim is right, the ZX750.1 is a Class D mono sub amp. If you want a Kicker amp, the ZX550.2 will deliver 205 watts into a 4-ohm load, (per measured CEA-2006 specs). Otherwise, follow Tim's recommendations for a proper amp.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-24-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Frank,

Is that an orange, white & black 21V?

That particular Class D monoblock is not designed for fullrange use even if it were to have the fullrange or highpass crossover option.

JL Audio has a fullrange Class D (extremely efficient) amplifier in the HD750/1. Realistically that would be around 400 watts (at all voltages) per each of two Pro80s which sounds like alot.

The SYN 2 has both the right power and mono input selection and would be a very good choice.

A JL Audio G4500 bridged into two channels will deliver 250 watts per each Pro80 (or 180 watts into 12 volts in a worse case scenario). Its very affordable.

You're not going to to realize any kind of stereo image listening at 70 feet with two speakers that are mounted 3 feet apart. Nor would you hear stereo off-axis. So I don't see a reason to maintain stereo on the tower even though its the norm. However, two speakers with identical outputs (mono) will sum for slightly more amplitude than stereo. Its a small but real difference.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Will one of you gurus explain mixed mono and pros and cons vs stereo both in boat and on the tower?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-24-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
So if I want to run my Pro 80s on Mono how would I wire them up?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-24-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Mixed mono literally is just that. The left and right channels are mixed together so that they are equally present in all amplified channels. The easiest way to run an amp in mono is to sum the RCA inputs as shown with two y-cord adaptors. Then wire the speakers as normal.

Upload

I agree with David that there is no need for stereo on the tower, for the reasons he puts forth. I have to suggest that mixed mono for the in-boat speakers is not going to suite every ear or taste though.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-24-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Pertaining to external summing, I'm a little concerned with loading one op amp (left) directly into the other op amp (right) without some form of isolation or buffer. Some of the preamps are rather light duty from a current standpoint. So if your amplifier doesn't have a summing switch then you might try a 4.7 K ohm (4700 ohms) resistor in series with each of the left and right RCA outputs and before the summing junction.

Introduction of resistance on the RCA line could provide the potential for noise. So 4.7 K ohm might be a low enough resistance to avoid noise but high enough to offer some preamp stability. This is just an estimate though.

You could also add a PAC LC-1 in line before the two RCY 'Y' cables (per Phil's illustration) in order to have a variable adjustment so that you can strike a balance between low noise and source unit stability.

Hope this helps.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-24-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
Yes David, that would be one certain orange, white and black 21v. I was thinking about changing things around a little bit.

Thanks for the info guys. It's nice to post up here and get good info from guys that are in the business. Usually I just get the business. :-)