Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
I'm searching for a decent head unit for my nautique and was wondering what most people are using and what they recomend. All I really know is that I want 4v pre-outs since I'll be running amplifiers and i'd like an auxillary input. I don't need anything too fancy/expensive. Its been several years since I was really into stereos so I'm kinda out of the loop these days.

Thanks...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
I just got a "Dual" cheap thing from wal-mart
cdr/mp3
outputs to two amps...we run RCA-in

big dial for changing volume fast if rider falls
all the other usual things headunits have...

selling point - $125 and walmart is so big if it breaks at all you just take it in and they dont care, they just give you a new one.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-11-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Depends on what your definition of cheap is. I also was in the market to replace my head unit but instead I went with wetsounds ws 420 equalizer and run my ipod directly into it. It is a really slick boat specific piece of equipment. Just another option. If you go with a head unit I was looking at the pioneer CD players. Try sonicelectronix.com or millionbuy.com
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-11-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
Jon,

I'm running a Alpine iDA-X001 unit that also controls the Ipod directly. You just plug the IPOD up and slip it in the pocket under the dash. The screen at the right you see all the info from the IPOD. It charges the Ipod also.

Upload
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-11-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
find a pioneer premier on ebay.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-11-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Why do you think you want 4v out because you are running amplifiers? Don't let someone sell you snake oil or directional speaker wire.
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-11-2008, 10:18 PM Reply   
Hey Jon:

No headunit needed with this >>>>

http://www.ssvworks.com/SC-BTK.html

I have one in my Rhino, Truck and sandcar. Putting one in my Tomcat.

ChadO

(Message edited by ripping trends on March 11, 2008)
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
A L P I N E .... nothin compares in the area of IPOD control and they have the most verstile marine remote on the market.

Jimmy Baker: please explain how buying 4v pre outs is a waste of money. IMO and most everyone else's...you need 4volts for longer RCA runs.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
4 preamp outs is a minimum. more is always better - 10 volt line drivers really clean up the sound (my eclipse is 16 v preamp out)
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-12-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
How much is the A L P I N E? The ssvworks Ipod unit is only $169.00 i believe and no wires to mess with and the Ipod turns into the remote. Just makes sense....
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
The SSV thing makes no sense:

It look like it only has one set of RCA outputs. How do you hook up the amps and have control over front, rear, and sub inputs.

No cd's, no radio...IMO totally a waste of money for anyone looking for a decent system.

Am I misundestanding this thing?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
This is a top notch head unit for $202. I personally run this head unit and have no complaints.

http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=56 25&aff=72182
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
High voltage pre-outs are a good thing.
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-12-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Hey Murph:

It's easy you use a line driver to connect the amps, or if you amps have a pass thru feature as most amps due you use that feature to connect your amps. Then you do your tuning by your amps. It's that easy!!

When you say "No cd's, no radio" exactly that's why I choose to use an Ipod... I do not want to have cd's taking up space in my vehicles. There is also a Bluetooth remote that you can mount to your steering wheel so the "wireless" ipod can be stored in a safe place and you still have all of the feature controls like volume, track selection etc...

I'm not bashing on your setup, I'm just saying I like my totally "wireless" Ipod setup without the need of a head unit. Saves on cost and the temptation for someone to steel my head unit.

ChadO

(Message edited by ripping trends on March 12, 2008)
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-12-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
I got it. Would it make more sense to go with a Wetsounds WS420 since it is 2 EQ's and a line driver in one.

By the time you pay $170 for the SSV unit and another $100 for the line diver...you are getting pretty close to what the WS 420 costs.

I currently run the Alpine CDA 9885 to a Audiocontrol Matrix Line Driver...the line driver really makes a difference
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-12-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I would use the new Pioneer DEH-P4000 it has all the options you are looking for an its only $165.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/DEH-P4000UB?tab=B
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-12-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
Not for me, the amps i'm using have the pass thru feature so I connect the amps accordingly, no line driver needed in my setup.

My only point was going completely wireless and not using a head unit. There are a lot of way to configure your setup, I just choose to go wireless. The other cool thing is I can take the same Ipod in my sandcar and use it without having to put a head unit in it.

Forgot, I also have a Bluetooth receiver in my toy hauler so again, no head unit and the same wireless Ipod setup.

Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-12-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input everyone. The pioneer DEH P4000 looks like a pretty good deal, simple, affordable, and it has everything I need. The last time I was shopping for receivers, a unit like that woulda been 250-300...Thanks again!
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-12-2008, 11:37 PM Reply   
pioneer premier

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PIONEER-DEH-P500UB-CD-MP3-PLAYER-CAR-AUDIO-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ280206862512QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3 9752QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-13-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
I always had good luck with the Pioneer Premiers. In fact, I never had to use an EQ using the Pioneers.

In fact, the only time I had to use an EQ in my system was when I switched to Sony.

I sure wish Pioneer made better marine remotes.....