Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-18-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Just curious if any of you do this. Is it necessary?
Old    swass            06-18-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
Sure - if you want to slow your boat down.

LOL. Here we go again.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-18-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
I've never even wiped the bottom of mine off. Should I at least wash it with soap and water once in a while?

I think it's a decent question - Lance and I should probably search the archives if we really want to know what's been said.
Old    chris138            06-18-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
i wax mine it helps if you ever have your boat in the water for a period of time and $#!% gets on the bottom, it helps by making it much eazyer to get off with just soap and whater insted of harsh chemicals, jmo. peace chris
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-18-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Swass, that is what I was thinking!!! LOL
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
Yep, when I trailer long distance like over the 4th, 1600 miles round trip. Help with tar and bug removal.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
I do mine, not by hand but with the high pressure wax gun at the self wash place, means you can do the trailer as well. It definately helps when it comes time to clean the scum & grime off.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-18-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
i don't wax mine very often but it's not a bad idea. wax is recommended to keep the gel coat protected and help fill in knicks and imperfections in the surface so there's less chance of water reaching the fiberglass. if you keep it in the water and don't have bottom paint i would definitely at least wax it.

i think my engine can handle the extra drag.

(Message edited by salty87 on June 18, 2004)
Old    yearling            06-18-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
Ive been wondering about this for a long time. How would you be able to wax the entire bottom?? It is always going to be sitting on a lift or a trailer with running boards holding it up. You would never be able to get then entire hull. It would defeat the purpose of waxing the bottom of your hull.
Old    yearling            06-18-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
This is not my boat! "Shawn" I hope you dont mind me using your beatiful boat pic! It was the quickest one I could find with a good trailer shot.. But this is what I mean.

image/bmp
nautique trailer.bmp (34.2 k)
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-19-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
2p......The reason I wax is for tar and road grime.
I can;t get the entire hull due to the bunks, then again neither can the tar or grime. As far as speed goes, not concerned. Don't think 1-2 mph is going to make a difference in a boat that tops @ 51, which is rarely seen.
Old    yearling            06-20-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
Oooo I goch ya... So you dont wax the bottom of your hull for looks or performance. Ok, that answeres my question.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-20-2004, 7:41 PM Reply   
I know a guy that has a cradle in his garage just for this purpose. He lifts the boat off of the trailer and waxes the hull.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-21-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
I appreciate everyone responses. My boat is usually only in the water maybe two days and about 4-5 days 1 time a year. Sounds like a good washing will be ok. Thanks Again.