Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-18-2011, 9:07 PM Reply   
This is me (WakeWorld, admin) because we split this thread off another thread since it was going off-topic. This one is all about adding a GoPro to your handle.

Last edited by wakeworld; 07-28-2011 at 3:19 PM.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-22-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
I vote GoPro and mount it on the rope! As said before.... Your only limited by your imagination with it.
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-22-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Ryan: those pictures are LEGIT! i bet the vid is ridiculous from that angle! how did you mount the go pro on the rope? i see that black tube going down to the handle. i assume thats hard plastic?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-22-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
I vote GoPro and mount it on the rope! As said before.... Your only limited by your imagination with it.
YES! OK man, you gotta share how you set that up. Just a pic of the camera on the handle would be awesome.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-23-2011, 3:43 PM Reply   
First off I gotta give props to freitas and callen for inventing this. Last I heard they were looking into trying to patent this so I don't want to post any pictures of the setup and mess that up for them but it's not too hard to figure out from looking at the pictures. Just use a little imagination. Hell maybe what you come up with will be better than what I made anyway. The video is pretty awesome too but the pictures are great. It's pretty funny when you load them up and see what kind of ridiculous faces you make while riding. Always comedy at the end of the day. Happy riding fellas!!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
LOL, OK, I'm doing a homebrew version in the garage tonight with some spare parts. Hopefully I'll have a useable pic or two come monday.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-24-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
First off I gotta give props to freitas and callen for inventing this. Last I heard they were looking into trying to patent this so I don't want to post any pictures of the setup and mess that up for them but it's not too hard to figure out from looking at the pictures. Just use a little imagination. Hell maybe what you come up with will be better than what I made anyway. The video is pretty awesome too but the pictures are great. It's pretty funny when you load them up and see what kind of ridiculous faces you make while riding. Always comedy at the end of the day. Happy riding fellas!!
Ryan: Cool looking new product. Have them hit me up if they want to talk about the new product development/manufacturing/marketing process in this market. Be glad to share whatever help I can offer based on my experiences over the past two years. Rob
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-24-2011, 5:44 AM Reply   
That is killer! I have to try someting like that!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-24-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Sorry to thread jack Jon! Here is their thread if anyone wants to contact them:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...highlight=view
Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-25-2011, 7:55 PM Reply   
haha its ok my thread might have found out some top secret info haha
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-05-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
Got a homebrew version working...

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-07-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
Strong work Shawn. Looks good!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
Nice. So any pics of the mount itself, Shawn? Looks like it might be PVC over the rope?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-07-2011, 3:57 PM Reply   
No pics unfortunately. It's a precut 2' piece of 1" PVC which is taped to the handle with electrical tape. The electrical tape didn't hold up too well though so I'm gonna try duct tape. 3/4" pipe would probably be better too because it'd be a little lighter. I just used one of the gopro tube mounts around the piece of pipe.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
I figured it would be something like that. 2' seems pretty long though.

Instead of tape, how about using a piece of foam rubber as a stopper in each end of the PVC tube? Jam it in there pretty good & it will hold the rope captive against the side of the tube. Plus it provides a bit of flotation.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-08-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
I figured it would be something like that. 2' seems pretty long though.

Instead of tape, how about using a piece of foam rubber as a stopper in each end of the PVC tube? Jam it in there pretty good & it will hold the rope captive against the side of the tube. Plus it provides a bit of flotation.
My thought with the tape was to fix the angle of the camera against the angle of the handle (i.e. camera always "flat" to handle). so I want to make sure the pipe doesn't rotate in relation to the handle. My first attempt was with a piece of ballast hose. that worked fine but the flexy nature of the tubing gave some weird camera angles and some poor shots because the camera was always moving in relation to the handle.

A hard rubber plug that's afixed to the end of the handle that you could jam the pipe on to would probably work to fix the rotation issue, and then the foam on the other end as you suggest? That's the fun of Macguyvering... you aren't restrained by a manual and a parts catalog!

I like the pvc setup more as far as the results go, but it's heavier and the big piece of pipe is a PITA on the boat. I'm not sure I'd want to go any shorter, though, or you'd start losing the rider in the shot.

The "solution" to this problem probably involves someone making an integrated handle / camera mount system, not my ghetto $5 home depot rig. But I did prove it can be done!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
The "solution" to this problem probably involves someone making an integrated handle / camera mount system, not my ghetto $5 home depot rig. But I did prove it can be done!
I think your on to something here. No reason why any of us couldn't take an old handle, and make 2 or 3 different mounts on it.

- a piece of PVC fixed to the mainline just in front of the V in the handle.
- Extend the pipe/tube that the handle's grip is around. Not sure how much you could do this one without it effecting your riding. Maybe 1'? Would be a cool side angle.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2011, 4:57 PM Reply   
GoPro video of a seagull swiping a camera and flying away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIu5B3Fsstg
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-10-2011, 5:12 AM Reply   
My first attempt was also with electrical tape at the handle. What I ended up doing was Drilling a Hole in the plastic(black plastic pipe, lighter then pvc) pipe an inch away from the end, then cut a slit from the end to the hole. When I put the rope on it, I simply opened up the slit end and slid it over the 'v' of the handle then secured the slit end with tape. This keeps tracking with the handle quite nicely with out all of the extra tape.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-10-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
hey that just gave me an idea.... what about drilling a hole and then sticking a zip tie through, zipping it to the handle? I've got some of those super strong handcuff zip ties....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-11-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
OK so the zip tie idea is a winner... worked great yesterday, though I didn't actually film anything (just rolled with the handle with PVC on it). Zip tie held it great. You need a carbon type triangle-ish handle for that work. I've got some ideas to refine it before our trip next week and I'll post a few photos of what I do...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-11-2011, 9:36 PM Reply   

V3.0... Using some new parts. First I remembered that I'd purchased the gopro tripod mount. I really like the idea of a bolt on connection. So I built a little mount using a 1/4 - 20 stainless screw, a 3/4" threaded PVC cap, a nylock locknut, and a tee nut. That can then thread in to all sorts of PVC fittings.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-13-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Good ideas fellas! I'm not sure what format of video you guys are shooting in on your gopro's but for mine I shoot in 720P 60fps and the view is a lot closer than when I take pictures from the same distance from the rider. So on mine I put the camera as far down the handle rope as possible. I think mine is mounted 4-5ft from the handle and even at this length you can't get the whole board and rider in the frame while shooting video.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-14-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
I am about 4-5 ft at 60fps as well!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-16-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
That clip I posted was using the "old" gopro 5mp hero, not the newer hd version. It shoots in 4:3, which apparently gives a bigger field of view? I remember people posting something similar about the HD hero when it came out -- that when filming some scenes it was better to film in (what I think is called) 960p mode because it gives a better field of view. Of course then you loose the slow mo benefits of 60fps.

Like you guys I've only ever used the 720p / 60fps mode. Might be worth playing around with a bit...
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-16-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
I'm curious to know how this set up holds up in the event of a wipeout. I'd be afraid of the camera being ripped off the mount as the boat is dragging the rope through the water in the time it takes for the driver to react and slow down and circle back around.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-17-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
I'm curious to know how this set up holds up in the event of a wipeout. I'd be afraid of the camera being ripped off the mount as the boat is dragging the rope through the water in the time it takes for the driver to react and slow down and circle back around.
Not going to say it's not a concern. But these mounts are used for sky diving, big wave ocean surfing, etc., so the amount of force applied by being drug behind a boat shouldn't be unheard of.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-17-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
I have used my rope mount several times and the only issue i have had is having to readjust the angle of the camera after a fall.

Here is a quick and simple edit of my first run with the rope mount. All i am using is the handlebar mount on the plastic tubing!
(i have modified my setup since this video was posted)

from Midwestwakboarder.com on Vimeo.

I am also considering purchasing some clear acrylic pipe, so the rope mount is not as intrusive in the video.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-20-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Seth- Here is what I did with mine. I cut a 2" wide piece of pool floatie and fixed it to the very end of the pipe behind the camera for two reasons: it helped that end of the pipe float and I figured it would direct some of the impact away from the camera when you let go of the handle. After each fall the camera gets bent down and as the boat circles to pick me up I just adjust the angle again before I get up. The GoPro mounts are crap and will definately break so for safety measures I attatched a regular camera leash to the housing and slide it over the pipe and handle so if the mount broke the camera should still be leashed around the pipe/handle. I also cut a small piece of pool floatie and duct tape it around the back of the camera that way if everything failed the camera would still float. I'm working on an edit and will post it up on here as soon as I get it done.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-23-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
OK so here's a quick clip from the PVC setup pictured above. Used the HD cam this time, on setting #3 (720p / 60 fps)

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-25-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
This is a great thread and I might have to try this myself!

Shawn, I'd like to see that same setup with the camera mounted at 90 degrees in order to capture the whole rider and board. Either that or have the camera angled down a little more, but with that aspect ratio you don't have a lot of space to give up at the top of the frame. Other than that it looks like you'll have to back it up some to capture the whole rider and board. How long is your PVC piece?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-25-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
David, as mentioned above, I'm pretty sure that if you use the 960p format you'd get more rider in the frame. It's 4:3 vs whatever HD is.

That's what the version I used in the 7/5 clip posted above was shot with (using the old non-HD gopro). Clearly you can't see the board, but there's a ton of room above my head too.

The pvc I'm using is 2 feet. you could definitely go longer, but let me tell ya, even that 2' piece in the boat is a PITA, at least they way mine is mounted, with the rope down the pipe and the pipe zip tied to the handle. It doesn't really come apart without wrecking the mounting setup (i.e. new zip tie and new camo duct tape). I know everyone runs their boat a little differently though, so maybe you'd have plenty of room.

I don't see why a 3, 4, or even 5' section of pvc wouldn't work. The limiter would probably be when it starts to sink the handle. I've already contemplated sliding a piece of pool noodle on the pvc for flotation, but that would make it even more unwieldy in the boat.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
This is a great post. I'm going to think up my own version and post.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
I'm loving the evolution of this! As said before it is a PITA to have this on the boat because it doesn't store anywhere but I just throw mine on the floor and only bring it out when I have 3 or 4 people on the boat. Anyway here is a quick video of mine mounted about 4ft back and shot in 720P 60fps. I have since moved it back to 5ft for a better picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EpaW2cu9_E

I can't figure out how to embed it in the msg... Can someone please educate my computer illertate self please. lol.

Last edited by wakeworld; 07-28-2011 at 3:22 PM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-28-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
When you go to the vid, underneath there's a button that says share and when you click that another button that says embed pops up. When you click that it gives you the embedding text.

Last edited by wakeworld; 07-28-2011 at 3:23 PM.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Thanks Shawn! Oh yea I just saw this the other day but GoPro finally came out with a float:

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/floaty-backdoor/
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-28-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks Shawn! Oh yea I just saw this the other day but GoPro finally came out with a float:

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/floaty-backdoor/
Kind of defeats the purpose for those of us with lcd backpac screen lol. Guess I'll stick to my floating lanyard.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yea... I take my screen off when I use it on the handle. That way If I were to lose it at least I wouldn't have to buy another LCD also
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-28-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
Ok, I broke this thread off of the previous thread because it was getting off topic. I found that splitting threads is difficult!

Last edited by wakeworld; 07-28-2011 at 3:23 PM.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2011, 10:36 PM Reply   
Awesome thanks Dave!!
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-01-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
I would think 3'4" PVC would be way to big around the line allowing it to rolll around , zip ties to the handle solved this problem?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-10-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzedVLX View Post
I would think 3'4" PVC would be way to big around the line allowing it to rolll around , zip ties to the handle solved this problem?
yeah, with the zip tie the pvc is totally static to the handle. I've got one of those carbon triangle-ish handles though, so it would be weirder with a "floppy rope" handle.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
Here is how I did my mount-

I used a 4 foot section of 3/4" black plastic tubing. It can be found at menards by the pvc pipe. Its cheaper and not as heavy as pvc, not quite as sturdy but works really well.

On the handle end I drilled a hole through the pipe about an inch from the end. That needs to be big enough for the rope on 'y' part of the handle. I then cut a slit from the end of the of the pipe to hole(the end that is only an inch away from the drilled hole). I then ran my rope through the pipe so the cut end would end up on the handle end. Opened up the slit so it could go over the 'y'.

You see at the end I have a small section of 1/2 inch pipe that fits in the end in the same manner. Not sure it is needed, but I think it adds a little bit of reinforcement tO keep the rope/handle/camera aligned.

After the pipe is over the rope I secure the end with electrical tape.

For the gopro mount I just use the handlebar gopro mount from gopro. You have to reposition the camera after every fall, but really isn't that bad if you remember.

Gopro also just released a new accessory, has a float attached the back cover. For 14$, it comes with a new back door with a float already attached and an extra float for your current back door. Seems to work well!

I have not broken the mount with this set up, but have with the surf pro attached to the board.
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-06-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
Aimed the camera down a bit more (probably 15* downward angle) to see if I could get more of the action in the frame on my "short" 2' extension:

Old     (vickilea)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-22-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
We made our handle out of pvc and it even floats - here are a few photos.
Attached Images

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
A video I made of my handlecam mount...

Last edited by kirk; 09-27-2011 at 6:09 PM.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
I used the PVC with some clamps and the the handle at most for the go pro. My video camE out cool but when I'd hit the wake there was a lot of shaking. How can I fix this? Is my go pro mounted too far out on he PVC ? It's about 2 feet out
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-06-2012, 6:07 AM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
It's always gonna be a bit shaky but you may be letting off your edge or not using the line tension to get your pop causing the line to get slack. My mount is right where the handle meets the mainline
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
My mount is about 4.5' out.
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-18-2014, 10:42 PM Reply   
My setup tries to get the shot with no shaking and no fixed mounting so you can rotate the handle and it will remain upright.. here is some pretty epic footage from the Belgium crew testing one of my older setups..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_g0...Cw8jNylfU3wO1Q
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-21-2015, 11:01 PM Reply   
Almost ready for a new kickstarter campaign... more to come..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUHVHUzMr0
Old     (Delt725)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-24-2015, 10:24 AM Reply   
Looks like there are some folks getting great footage here. Can't wait to see some finished products!
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-31-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
park session.. some good stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST25NqA4zuk
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-01-2015, 2:03 PM Reply   
where is that echo rope guy when you really need him...
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-24-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenxteninc View Post
Almost ready for a new kickstarter campaign... more to come..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUHVHUzMr0
Let us know - testing prototypes has been good - will get you some more footage soon.
SnaperheadRacingWakeboardCrew
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-26-2016, 2:16 PM Reply   
Coming along.. time to get serious and find a path to market.. ugh..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0J8iJwLkEw
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-25-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
any updates on this? Does anyone have pictures of the actual gopro mount on the end of the pvc or rubber hosing?
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-06-2016, 6:15 PM Reply   
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-06-2016, 6:16 PM Reply