Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-25-2005, 4:35 AM Reply   
What does everyone do with their perfect pass paddle wheel when they are trailering their boat? I just installed perfect pass on my boat and I trailer it everywhere. The PP system came with a plug, but that is going to be the biggest hassle if I have to put that plug in every time. Should I just put a piece of tape over the paddle wheel or something so it doesn't sping while I'm trailering or do I not need to do anything at all? Thanks for the help.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-25-2005, 5:25 AM Reply   
If you want to protect it, masking tape works great. Put it on when you get out and next time you get in the water, if you forget to take it off, when it gets wet, it will just fall off.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-25-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
everyone says to, I never have and have not had a problem.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
When my dealer told me not to trailer without the paddle wheel protected I said OK, a couple minutes later I jumped in and towed the boat 85 miles without even giving it a thought. I guess I will just replace the paddle after the bearings go out. Maybe I can remember to tape it when I make 100+ mile tows.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-25-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
I have never covered mine. In fact I had to figure out what that extra part was for myself. My buddy also has a SAN for several years now and never covers his. Neither of us has had any issues.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
That plug is used if you want to remove the paddlewheel permanently.

We used that plug last year when we moved the paddlewheel on my buddies X10. Mastercraft put the wheel so far forward, it would constantly come out of the water. The boat could never hold speed.

We moved PP wheel back near the fuel tank, and it's like a whole new boat.

Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-26-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
I didn't even know you were supposed to cover it. I just towed our boat 800 miles from cali to utah. hmmmm. Our last boat never had a problem and we had it for 3 years towed it all over the damn place. I wonder if it will go out on us. I would hate to climb under the stupid thing to put tape on it ever time.
Old    dju            03-26-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
I towed my old boat over 2k miles with the PP never, ever covered. 0 problems.
Old    tigejohn21i            03-27-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
I use shipping tape, the 3m style clear tape. It seems to hold better than masking tape when trailoring thru the hot desert.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-27-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
talk with PP and it is for people who leave their boats in the water for an extended period of time (water docking) or if you decide to remove it, it will seal the hole. You dont need to tape the paddle wheel.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-29-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
This is kind of a no brainer the paddle wheel is designed to spin. The manual tells you that the plug is for sealing the hole when the paddle wheel is removed. But no where is there any mention of removing the wheel or securing the wheel to keep it from spinning while towing.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
I thought there were instructions from PP to tape it up to prevent wearing out bearing while trailering.

But that said, I think I'd rather replace the paddle wheel when (if) time comes. Taped it a few times, but always forgot to remove tape before launching and had to dive under boat to take it off... I mean, I will be not be bothered to pulling someone without PP...
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-30-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
The PP instructions do in fact reccomend taping when trailering long periods. They figure wind spins the paddle wheel and bearings are supposed to be wet to reduce friction and heat or they wear out.

Rick