Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 11:30 PM Reply   
Just wondering if anybody knows if there are available campsites in the NorCal area for Memorial Day Weekend, whether it be Berryessa, Shasta, Clearlake, Folsom etc. I called all over Berryessa and they say everything is booked. Are there any "first come first serve" places? Thanks.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2006, 12:06 AM Reply   
You can shore camp at pedro first come first serve, it gets pretty crowded though.
Old    walt            04-29-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
You can try Pillsbury. http://www.lprandm.com/

If the resort is full you can go to Fuller grove but get there on a thursday to get a site.
Old    pistolpete            04-29-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
You should get yourself a "Recreation Lakes of California" book. It's extremely useful and I see them for sale at boating stores and Orchard Supply stores. ISBN #0-943798-20-5
Hope that helps.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-29-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Berryessa is always packed as hell Memorial day, Im so glad we have a house
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-29-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
Rub it in why don't ya Nick.
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-29-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Is shore camping authorized on Berryessa? I know it's hard as hell to find anywhere to actually do it, but is it legal? A buddy and I did it last year, campfire and all, but had no idea if it was legal or not, I'm not from around here so I pull the ignorance card every now and then.
Old    walt            04-29-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Lake Sonoma has boat in camp sites.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-30-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
If you decide Pillsbury, come prepared for a nasty little eight mile or so dirt road to get in. Once you get there it's nice. Lake Mendocino has boat in sites as well. We were there today.

Upload

(Message edited by wake_upppp on April 30, 2006)
Old    lakebumrc            04-30-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Mendocino is a pretty nice lake, small, but nice. Shasta would be the prime choice. and shore camping is illegal at berryessa, sorry bud. Even tho, i've gotten away with it sevaral times. that might be your best bet even though shasta has impecable water for boarding, check with antlers campground.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-01-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Camp Far West outside of Sacramento (in Lincoln) has what they call "overflow" camping which is all first come first served and primative (no picnic table or BBQ and blue hut port-a-potties). We camped there for a couple years and it's a great lake.

We usually arrived on Thursday evening to get a good spot, even if we had to set up camp then go to work on Friday.

Good Luck.

PS, a bunch of us WW peeps are camping at Lake McClure at Barrett Cove. You could call and see if there are any sites left or a waiting list.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-01-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I'd vote for Shasta on Memorial Day... We have been going here for the last couple years and it goes off + its a huge lake with many fingers so good water is always available. It's a drive but werth the trek IMO.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Lzy
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Steve,
It is illegal to shore camp at Berryessa. Having said this I have done it several times. We just don't cook anything or have a fire. When we camp there we usually find a cove away from the main part of the lake and usually its only for one night. We spent 2 nights shore camping last year on Memorial Day. Lake Patrol gets very busy at the bridge and they don't have the manpower to police the 165 miles of shoreline.
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
Thanks again for all the inputs. I've never been to Shasta but have heard great things about it. Oroville has also been recommended to us also. Right now I think it's a toss up between those two. Either way, I'll be on the water.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-02-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Oroville is Great, not as far of a drive as Shasta, and nice campgrounds. Loafer Creek is really nice. www.reserveamerica.com is where you can check for sites.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-02-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
Stewart is right - Orville is a great lake as well and a lil closer. Orville also has FLOATING CAMPSITES which are a cool change of pace.

Lzy
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-05-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
I never knew that about Berryessa. I'm glad I read this post. I was going to pitch up a canopy and bbq off shore somewhere for a relaxing lunch. I never knew it was illegal. Now I guess I'll have to do that at the public beach near Monticeto Resort.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-05-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
It may be illegal at berryessa but I see people doing it all the time, and I have never heard of anybody bothered for it. Also, they are kicking everybody with litle trailors/houses on the lake off of it for good because all of their leases are up. And they will also be fixing up the lake and putting more restrictions on where we can board. Hopefully they won't screw up my hometown lake too badly with tons of freking rules

If I were looking for somewhere to stay I would try Lake Trinity (up near shasta) because it is just as nice but there are way less people and it is always glass..