Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-28-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Is it okay to drill holes in the floor so you can route cables through the ski locker? The battery cables are but the existing holes are not big enough to get RCA cables through. Also, in the passenger side storage where I want to install my amps how do you mount them? Do you just drill screws into the carpeted sides? I am assuming it is fiberglass & you can't?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-28-2013, 8:35 PM Reply   
Jack,
Absolutely, positively do NOT do any of those things mentioned without getting an education.
You cannot drill into the hull no matter how shallow the screws are. The sides of the port helm console are not thick enough unless factory installed a mounting pad under the carpet. You may be able to mount up against the bow mold depending on the bow cushion locations.
Under the sole you often have fuel cells, power cabling, fuel lines, a steering cable and stringers that could impede the wire path. It's all bad news under there if you are drilling blind.
You can mount to the sole but not within 3 to 4 inches of the hull. With a changing hull contour and dead rise the sole can get mighty thin at the perimeter. In any case you will want to use pilot holes and drill bit stops to control depth. Where the battery cables come through determine how thick the sole is.
Every boat model is a bit different.

David
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       02-28-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
David is right, I would definately not advise you do any of that yourself without having lots of prior experience! I have seen lots of people screw up nice equipment by trying to do their own work. I would advise you to get a shop to help with the install or it could go very wrong.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-01-2013, 6:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Jack,
Absolutely, positively do NOT do any of those things mentioned without getting an education.
You cannot drill into the hull no matter how shallow the screws are. The sides of the port helm console are not thick enough unless factory installed a mounting pad under the carpet. You may be able to mount up against the bow mold depending on the bow cushion locations.
Under the sole you often have fuel cells, power cabling, fuel lines, a steering cable and stringers that could impede the wire path. It's all bad news under there if you are drilling blind.
You can mount to the sole but not within 3 to 4 inches of the hull. With a changing hull contour and dead rise the sole can get mighty thin at the perimeter. In any case you will want to use pilot holes and drill bit stops to control depth. Where the battery cables come through determine how thick the sole is.
Every boat model is a bit different.

David
David, I was planning on drilling a hole to the ski locker right next to where a hole already exists. Feeling around underneath there is nothing in the way. As for the amps I will just glue a 1/4" piece of wood under the carpet & screw into that for the amps? If this is not reccomended, how do you route from drivers to passenger? Even I go all the round the bow I would still have to drill holes in the bow compartments.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-01-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Jack,
If you have investigated underneath then you are no longer drilling blind. Make sure you drill through carpet only in reverse.
1/4" isn't thick enough. Use 1/2" thick cabinet grade plywood minimum and radius the corners and the entire face perimeter. Marine carpet isn't particularly plyable so this will help integrate the panel. And I would resin coat the plywood. This might be okay for flat interior vertical surfaces but a little too simple if against the curved inner hull surface.
Btw, if using any adhesive like Liquid Nails (solvent based) make sure that it is totally cured before using a drill motor (spark) around it within a compartment.

David
Earmark Marine