Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-11-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Im looking to get some information on paying sales tax on used boats, buying from dealership vs. private owner, in state vs. out of state etc...I live in Ky, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-11-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
Well, if you buy from a dealership and trade something in, I believe you only pay tax on the difference. If you don't have a trade and buy from a private owner, you might be able to talk them into giving you a bill of sale stating you bought the boat for less than what you actually bought it for... in order to save you some sales tax.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Nevada doesn't require sales tax on used private party sales. I don't know about KY, but you might want to check your DMV's website for info or other government website.
Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-12-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I have heard of people buying boats from private parties and some have had to pay sales tax when transfering title/registering and some have not. I was wondering if the ones who didnt pay sales tax got lucky or what?
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-12-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
No, all states are different. In Wisconsin you have to pay sales tax on used boats when you register them. In Minnesota, there is no sales tax on registration of the boat.

Trailers are a different story in those two states, but my trailer is a $100 value