Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
My boat currently has 1 full size interstate battery as primary with a smaller MK power battery as a secondary battery with a relay switch contoling them . I read that both batteries should be the same size amperage ect.. A stereo shop installed my 2nd battery during the install of my stereo , amps and speakers so I assumed the smaller battery was Ok . Should I change this setup to 2 batteries of the same size ?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-27-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
Yes, batterys charge and discharge different.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-28-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
If the batteries are of the same type (both flooded lead acid or both AGM) then size doesn't really matter for your application.

How the battery charges is going to be primarily a function of the overall condition/age of the battery. Unfortunately, calendar days is not a good way of measuring the age of a battery. If your stereo battery gets deep cycled a lot then it will age a lot faster than the starting battery.

If you are using the batteries independantly (starting on one, running the stereo off the other) then you will be able to tell when one of the batteries is going bad and thus the age/condition issue is minor. On the other hand, if you were permanently connecting two batteries in parallel and using them as one unit then it is really important that the two batteries be as matched as possible: size, age and manufacturer.