Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    zboomer            03-24-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
Ok, it doesn't have the bling of that limited-edition X-star everyone's talking about in Ryan's thread, but I like it. :-)

It's the first boat I've ever ordered, and is pretty loaded.

I sold my '04 Supra SSV, and spent over two months configuring, negotiating, figuring out how I wanted this thing. It was fun, but exhausting. I've got photos of it being built in the factory as well, which was very cool.

Anway, here's the main features and options, and a few pics. I'd love feedback if the colors look good. I'm pretty stoked. :-)

Malibu Monsoon 340 h.p. EFI-MPI engine
Silent Rider mufflers
Acme CNC 4-blade propeller
Adjustable Rudder
Malibu Gorilla fins
Flip Up Bolster Driver's Seat
Swivel Driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support
Smoked glass wind block
Removeable refreshment table
60qt integrated cooler, insulated
Halogen Docking Lights (Stainless Steel)
Heater - Three outlet
Hot water shower
Malibu Launch System (Bow Ballast system)
Malibu Launch System (Midship Ballast system)
Malibu Launch System (Rear Ballast system)
(All ballast tanks under floor)
Malibu Sound Suppression Technology (MSST)
Ballast Monitoring System (BMS)
Pop-up bow light
Pull up cleats - Two Pair
Pop-up ski pylon
Wedge (complete)
Premium Nylon Carpeting
Solid Deck & Hull Gelcoat Base Color
Gel coat accents above rub rail
Sport Shroud (Colored Dash)
Standard Progressive gel-coat scheme
Perfect Pass Digital Wakeboard Pro
5" Medallion servo gauges
Rack and pinion steering system
Dual gas fills
Chrome Billet Gauge Panel
Depth Finder Module
GPS Option
Issotta Steering Wheel
Issotta Throttle Knob
Sony CD, pwr amp, 6 Xplode spkrs & remote
Sony Digital Stereo Transom Remote Control
Kicker Solo/Baric subwoofer w/Kicker amp
Tower speakers (4) (Chrome Bullet)
Dual batteries with Isolator switch
Swim Platform - Teak
Malibu Illusion X Tower
Illusion-X board racks
Bimini for Illusion-X tower (black)
Malibu Sunbrella custom cover (black)
Carpet Saver carpet insert
Extreme tandem-axle trailer, custom painted, LED light package, oil-bath hubs
6-yr bow to stern warranty, including trailer

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
Looks killer man. A tinted windshield would really compliment the colors well, but I've been seeing that a lot lately and I hear it makes it difficult to see.

Any worries about the black deck getting pretty hot in the summer?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-24-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
sweet very similar to what I am picking up tomorrow.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
Sick boat! Congrats. Always remeber one thing-
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
Looks awesome man, congradulations!!!! I have been looking at the '05 VLX but have to wait for spring for a test drive. Let me know how the wake is. The only option I see that you missed was the heated drivers seat!
Old    zboomer            03-24-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
Stanfield, I've was warned it might get hot in the sun, but so far so good. I've only put 7 hours on it so far, but when you're in the boat you rarely touch the gel coat.

I'm considering tinting the glass. I think it would definitely look awesome that way.

Shane, same color scheme? Don't bring it to Austin, k? (just kidding) Post photos when you get it.

Thanks J. Holmes, I'll do my best!

Jason, I intentionally skipped the heated seat. I live in Texas, so even the heater and shower are a stretch. :-) I've never, ever in a boat thought the seat felt too cold, so I passed.

There are a few other options I passed on -- chrome exhaust tips, etc. You can't even see them when the boat's in the water, so seemed like a waste. Plus I didn't want my feet hitting them when I'm hanging out swimming behind the boat.

Same deal with the stainless wedge option. Underwater.

(Message edited by zboomer on March 24, 2005)
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
I would get a heated seat for warmth but thought it might be good for sore muscles as well. After you break it in let me know how the wake is. I am looking forward to my test drive.
Old    hyperryd            03-24-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
Boomer- That is one beautiful boat. I love the scheme, you can't go wrong with black and red. Have fun with it!
Old    sculpter            03-24-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
Boomer the boat looks great, have fun with it.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 6:43 AM Reply   
Jason - Ive been on a boat Identical to boomers (and hopefully boomers soon) and the wake is great. Really easy to set up and change size/shape in between riders.
Old    mike_collins            03-25-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
Boomer - not only does the boat look great... but I am always looking at the total tow package. With the matching red truck.. this is one sweet ride both on and off the water. congrats
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
Congratulations. I love the color scheme.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
SICK!!!! Your going to love it.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-25-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
mines's slight different. Black/Charcoal with Red Deck. Stereo delay again, now p/u tomorrow.
Old    whitechocolate            03-25-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
HOLLY SHIZZZZZZZ NICE
Old    pate            03-25-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Awesome boat. Matches your truck perfect!! :-)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Verrrrry niiiiice! Why did you go with that tower over the Blade? I'm still trying to find somebody who owns one of those damn things! :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-25-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Super sick boat. Congratulations.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   

OH Yeah - very nice ride
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Niiiiiice, congrats, you must be stoked.

That boat with under floor tanks is really going to hold it's value. I was so bummed when I couldn't get the under floor tanks in a Sunscape I bought a Nautique...

The difference between yours and Ryans is reality and fantasy...
Old    zboomer            03-25-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Thank's guys! Yeah, I planned the match with the truck. Gotta think of the whole package.

David, I considered the Blade, but the damn thing is just expensive, and I love the way the bimini works on the Illusion-X. At the time I put in the order my SSV wasn't sold yet, and I couldn't bump the price up any more at all! lol

Some guy on MBO just got a new VLX (in canada) with the Blade, I'll see if I can find his email. It's also red/black, but with red deck.

Mikeski, 90% of the reason I sold the SSV in favor of this is the under-floor hard-tank ballast. It's awesome.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
That boat is sweet. Great color scheme. That are the same colors I love in a boat. I either going to get a Sanger or a Malibu. Only one more year of college. Hey can you post pics of the integrated ice chest and also of the pop-up ski pylon. Also what are those vents on the rear of the boat?
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
i see you are from around the austin area..what is your fav place to go ride?
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Man I should really proof read my post before sending "That are" ........ "I either". My English ain't too goog.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Boomer....that is booming! Great job all the way around.

E.J.
Old    wakestyle            03-25-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Damn sick boat man, huge grats on it. Looks like you got most of the options too.
Old    zboomer            03-25-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
Craig, I'll snap a photo of the cooler open next time I've got it out. It's behind the driver seat. The cushion over it is hinged, the cooler is actually deep enough to be useful, and it's easy to access. The cooler in my SSV was neither. I ended up using it for shoe storage.

Here's a pic of the boat at the factory, arrow pointing to where the cooler is.

Nick, we ride all over the area. Lake Georgetown, Lake Austin, Lake Travis, whatever mood we're in. There's another spot we don't talk about much, because we don't want it to get crowded. :-)
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-25-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
That is a very nice ride. Great colors. You are going to have a memorable summer...
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
I appologize in advance for my awesome MS paint skills.

Boomer, what's this I circled?

Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
sick boat and LOVE that truck!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
stanfield ~ it's an arm rest/cup holder.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
Hey bud, that boat is 10x better looking then that x-star in the other thread. I love the new tower on the bu's.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
Great looking boat.you must be stoked!

Scott ~ Give it a rest you hater.It's not nesessary to talk crap.
Old    bambamski            03-25-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
I went with the red black colour scheme as well for my boat. Looks great!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-25-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
I ordered our 05 with that same speaker arrangement you got. What do you think of those speakers?

I also noticed the 6 year warranty on your list, is that what Malibu is offering now?

It was only 2 years on our 01.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-26-2005, 12:01 AM Reply   
Sweet boat I just purchased a ssv its an 03 planning on keeping it for like 10 years. We had a malibu sunsetter and I tell ya what I really miss how much detail malibu puts into the interior of there boats. Supra is behind the curve on that I tell you what. The storage in the supra sucks! No good interior lights, like he said the cooler is a joke, and there is no little pockets to put things and the like. anyway good choice on the boat. Looks sweet i'm sure it will perform Super sweet!
Old    jcrider            03-26-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
Hey Boomer. Nice Malibu,as you can see by my post that I am checking out the x10 and vlx as the frontrunners. I am moving in (2) weeks next to Lake Nacimiento(central Cal) and have to make a pretty quick decision. ie: order time/in stock, so anybody with feedback is grrreat!
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-26-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
Rich-

Finally bit the bullet huh? How is Chris doing? I left him a message a while back, but never heard from him. Will I see you guys at WSSR? Congrats on the new VLX, I am sure everyone is stoked......

Chad
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-26-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
Chad, don't feel bad he doesn't call anyone back!

He's ready to roll right now, he's having the rod removed on May 9th so he'll have to take it easy for about 4 weeks after that until the holes in the bone fill in. I actually had a boat coming last spring and then he broke his leg so we decided to wait for an 05. You will probably see me at WSSR as Buff's got some shoots planned, not sure about Chris, he's starting his last quarter of school this week and he's just been slammed with work now that he's taking upper division stuff. I told him to forget college and concentrate on wakeboarding but he told me I was crazy! (did I just say that right?) :-)
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-26-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
How can you say thats not blinged out?! That boat is sooo nice. Congrats
Old    dave_e            03-26-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
The blade is only about $300 more when you put 4 speakers and board racks on the illusion x which come standard with the blade. The bimini is about the same price for either tower. If you are putting racks and speakers on the illusion x, the cost is about the same.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
Boomer, great looking boat. The only thing I don't like is the teak swim platform. Maybe its just the pictures, but it sure looks thin and cheap. It doesn't look like it integrates well with the boat. Is it just the pictures??

Is the tank ballast system large enough to get a big wave for surfing??
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
get over it big ed, I was just letting him know that his boat is every bit as nice as that x-star.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-27-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
Dave, the blade tower is lower than the Illusion X, you can only attach one set of board racks, bimini goes below the tower making it only about 5'6" tall! Looks cool, but finish leaves alot to be desired at mounting joint. Personally I can't see the durablity for long term being there, but time will tell. My dealer has one and it looks great on the boat, but I wonder what happens when rope gets hung in rack and you pull on it accidently??? I just got my second VLX with Illusion X and love the tower. My new VLX is in my profile!!!

(Message edited by batman on March 27, 2005)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Scott ~ You are the one that needs to get over it!!You can tell somebody the got a nice boat without saying anything bad about the other boats.
Cleaner than that x-star????
Old    zboomer            03-28-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
Stanfield, I think someone already answered, but that is a fold-down cup holder thingie. It folds down to hold two extra drinks, or work as an arm rest.

Here's a pic of another boat with it open.

Regarding the X-star, I really wasn't meaning to compare mine to that. Just brought it up because that thread is an "interesting" read, that's all. My VLX cost about half that, so it's not really comparable, although to be honest I'd rather have a VLX than an X-star (duh, that's why I bought it.)

Rich, I bought the stock Sony speakers for a couple reasons. First, so they could be financed in with the boat, and 2nd so I'd be covered under factory warranty.

To be honest, it sounds DAMN good, but you have to ask yourself what you're looking for in sound. Extremely loud so the rider can hear it (PA type speakers) or a better quality sound, for listening in the boat while driving or parked. I couldn't care less if the rider hears the sound loud, I want higher quality sound while chillin', and they sound very good in that regards to my ears. I've not yet ridden behind the boat so I don't know if they will get loud enough for a rider to hear clearly, like an NVS or something. When I get it broken in, and someone braves the cold water, I'll let you know the rider/sound situation.

To be honest I hate when guys have their system up so loud it annoys the whole lake, so I'm not into that scenario.

Bottom line I think they sound great for what I want them for, and since I got them with the boat, all the stuff is covered in my 6-yr warranty.

Regarding warranty, factory is 3yrs on most components (lifetime on hull, deck, etc.) but I added an aftermarket 6-yr bow-to-stern on top of it. Covers everything, even trailer. I usually don't do this, but with a boat this expensive and complex (ballast systems, shower, heater, the works) I want to keep a long time, I figured what the hell.

Hyrum, you hit the nail on the head. When I sit in this thing it amazes me how nice it's all detailed. Makes me feel better sending in that $ every month, heh.

Regarding the SSV, you hit on a few reasons I sold it after one year. Overall good quality boat, but for a boat so big storage sucks due to losing so much to the stadium seat option. I hated the soft bags also.

Jonn, give the VLX a try and see if it fits you. It's more of a hardcore wakeboard boat than a X10, however, which is a Maristar with graphics. I do like X10's though, so try both...

Wakeshoe, regarding the Teak, for some reason it doesn't look good in the photos. My wife and I thought it looked great in person. I liked the teak platform on my Supra, but don't really care for Malibu's FG platforms, so I saved a little and went teak. Some say it looks out of place on a boat like this, but in person it looks nice, and adds a little old-school flair to it.

I don't have a great photo of it, but here's one where you can see a little bit.

Regarding surfing, I'll have to let you know on that. I want to try that this summer. I filled all the tanks the other day and dropped the wedge, and the wave looked huge to me at 9-10 mph, but I have a lot to learn regarding setting up for a surf wave.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-28-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
yes Big Ed, much cleaner. That other boat is so far from clean. It has so much going on it hurts my eyes. That is hardly clean to me.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   

Boomer - man I cannont wait for our new 05 to arrive, our spray date is the 18th (April) I will post as soon as I get some pics.
Old    zboomer            03-28-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
Congrats Racer #5! I must warn you, the wait is excruciating. :-)

You do know you can get them to take photos for you at the factory, right?

My experience with the Malibu factory through this whole thing was amazing. This is the first Malibu I've ever owned, and I am thoroughly impressed. I've wanted one for years, and the wait was worth it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-28-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
Scott ~ Like Boomer said....The two boats are really not comparable,one is around 50k and the other around 100k.
All I was trying to say is not to put others down just to put one up!

Boomer ~ If by any chance I offended you or your boat,my appologies!
Old    penny4urthots            03-28-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
Dykmans.... I have a present for you buddy. It goes vroom vroom when you put a key in it, and it sucks gas real well. Should I give you a hint?? Hahahha call me, your ride is in at the shop now when do you want it?? Remember the SALE is this weekend have Chris hook up with me this week if he wants to help. Check out the first rail we just finished for Grubb and the delta boys to hit Saturday... I smell danger Will Robinson - over! Im out like a fat kid in dodge ball.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-28-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
Thats one sick ass rig Boomer!!! Congrats!
Old    zboomer            03-29-2005, 5:51 AM Reply   
Ed, no worries man.

skiBOREDr4LiFe, are you telling Dykmans his boat has arrived. Damn, that's a nice announcement. :-)

Neil, thanks!
Old    penny4urthots            03-29-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
you bet boomer ol' richie should be running red lights to get his butt here and check it out...
Old    zboomer            03-30-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Hey, posted a bunch of photos, including construction photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/zboomer39.

Would love feedback. Note, I don't have any shots of it being pulled from the mold, etc. That happened over the weekend, and the gracious ladies taking the photos don't work then.

If you have any questions about the construction shots, I'll do my best to answer them. They kept me pretty up to date on what was going on.

It's intersting to see it go from the factory, to my driveway. The whole process sure was fun.
Old    wakefunx2            03-30-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
Hey Boomer, where is the GPS display in the boat and can you post any pictures of it?
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
How long did it take from the first day of production to receive photos? Our new vlx went into production last thursday and i still do not have any pictures.
Old    zboomer            03-30-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
Cory, there is no separate "GPS display" really, it's not a full-blown mapping/navigational GPS. It's basically a GPS speedometer, and (very accurate) compass, measuring to a single degree. It also gives exact longitude and latitude, but not a map.

The display is part of the main display, that cycles through various modes with a switch. You can also auto-calibrate the boat's speedometer and PerfectPass to the GPS speed. If you look at the photo of the dash I posted earlier, in the middle 5" round gauge is an LDC readout area. That's where everything is displayed.

Nothing that can't be done with a handheld GPS, but what the hell, I'm into gadgets, and my last handheld GPS got stolen.

Chris, have you been in contact with someone at the factory? They don't take photos of every boat, only ones customers want photos of.

(Message edited by zboomer on March 30, 2005)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-30-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
All I have to say is I would rather have your VLX then the X-Star any day of the week, Especially when you figure in the price. That wakesetter color scheme is awesome you can go anywhere and know you have one of -if not the nicest boat on the lake. Im doing a Shasta trip and Buzz from wakeworld is bringing his VLX and Im stoked to ride behind it. You gotta great boat and are in for some good times buddy.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-30-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
I was checking out the ditch and slider today at SVM, it's gonna be off the hook this weekend! New boat is still shrink wrapped like a tuna sandwich but Linc and the boys sold my sunsetter today so I'm stoked!
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
My dealer had talked to someone at the factory and gave them my email address so that I could receive the photos. I talked with my dealer again today and said that he will call them tomorrow to check because I should have seen something by now.
Old    jcrider            03-30-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Boomer, we ended up getting the vlx with pretty much the same options list you have. The Monsoon @ around $650 is a great deal! Mastercraft wanted around $5000 for the mcx upgrade, not worth it in my opinion. Plus the boat was around 5,500 more. I am stoked for you!